• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Shopping For A New Car...

Dealer opens in an hour, and they are about an hour or so away... and I have the sales manager's cell phone number (of course).
 
I know--driven a GNX--they still handled like a Buick. I owned a Mustang SVO that your T/C "borrowed" the drivetrain from, so I know that one as well.
car club I used to belong to in NY had quite a few in residence, including a few K/B 4.1's, with a walmart bag full of parts and a screw driver, the 3.8 ran 12's all day at e town. and lets not forget, that chassis ran 200mph with ease, those are easy mods.
 
It would be sick if we got the rs4 or rs6 Avant in the US... It would be perfect if you were cool with the wagon.

I would go for a Audi s6. I don't think they make it in stick, almost all audis are DSG now

I also think the Lexus LS500 is worth a test drive, the new model is awesome
 
I love nice cars, but could never see the desire for the most HP, Speed and such unless you are racing seriously. The speed limit is still 55 or 65 in most places so that leaves you First at every Red Light.
 
Lexus and Infiniti were out from the get-go. I don't need a Toyota or Nissan with the decimal point moved any more than I need an Escalade over my Suburban. And who thought that grille on the Lexus line-up was a good idea??? :crazy:
 
Lexus and Infiniti were out from the get-go. I don't need a Toyota or Nissan with the decimal point moved any more than I need an Escalade over my Suburban. And who thought that grille on the Lexus line-up was a good idea??? :crazy:
Keep us informed on how your test drives shopping around goes
 
70-75 mph around here, and the sound of an underpowered car droning along (getting really crappy fuel mileage, btw) is not appealing. Idling at 100 mph is preferable.
OK, and I guess your Rolex ticks louder than my Citizen :)

Good luck with whatever you end up with. My wife wants one of those new Bently Convertables, I want a Jaguar.
 
car club I used to belong to in NY had quite a few in residence, including a few K/B 4.1's, with a walmart bag full of parts and a screw driver, the 3.8 ran 12's all day at e town. and lets not forget, that chassis ran 200mph with ease, those are easy mods.
200mph in a straight line is no great feat, now turn a corner, I'll be on the sidelines when you try it. To say the Grand National handled like a pig is insulting to pigs world wide.

They were limited to 125mph because they were unsafe above that, the suspension belonged under my dad's car, oh wait it was under my dad's car, and the interior was also right out of the 1975 luxobarge catalogue lol.

The T-Bird was limited to 151mph, it handled like it was on rails with the adjustable suspension set to sport mode, way better car than the GNX.
 
Last edited:
Good luck with whatever you end up with. My wife wants one of those new Bently Convertables, I want a Jaguar.

Thanks! Basically what I want is a late 90's Town Car with a real engine under the hood and a suspension/handling less like a living room sofa--is that too much to ask?
 
Thanks! Basically what I want is a late 90's Town Car with a real engine under the hood and a suspension/handling less like a living room sofa--is that too much to ask?
Can't believe you just said that. My favorite car of all time was my 1977 Olds Delta 88. Talk about driving your sofa down the road. It also had balls and when you stepped on it, it first stood up and then gave you whiplash.

Cheers!
 
Thanks! Basically what I want is a late 90's Town Car with a real engine under the hood and a suspension/handling less like a living room sofa--is that too much to ask?
Jaguar Mark X fits the bill nicely if a bit dated. Same great engine as the E-Type but in the largest car ever to come out of Coventry, would cruise all day at 125mph with just a straight six, but what an engine eh?

1966-Jaguar-Mark-X-With-supercharged-XJR-6-01.jpg jaguar-e-type-engine-classic-british-sports-car-H88NJW.jpg
 
Still waiting on my ride, but the negotiations are pretty much over--waiting on confirmation. $102K and change (plate transfer BS), 100% warranty and ready for delivery by 12:30. Sticker is $125.405 and change, plus fees/tax/plates, so not SO BAD. Wait til the finance people see the pile of cash--my foreman says I'm an a**hole for paying cash--I should just use a credit card LOL. But the Jag won! Pics will be forecoming.
 
200mph in a straight line is no great feat, now turn a corner, I'll be on the sidelines when you try it. To say the Grand National handled like a pig is insulting to pigs world wide.

They were limited to 125mph because they were unsafe above that, the suspension belonged under my dad's car, oh wait it was under my dad's car, and the interior was also right out of the 1975 luxobarge catalogue lol.

The T-Bird was limited to 151mph, it handled like it was on rails with the adjustable suspension set to sport mode, way better car than the GNX.
actually they were rated at 125mph because of the tire technology available at the time in the size...the GNX had no such problem but GM kept the limiter in place on civilian models and removing it was an easy poke.

and the 200mph GM A/A special/G bodies found was in fact on the track. in fact, the undesired aerodynamics the bodies experience when sideways at anything over 120mph drove most of the dam/spoiling technologies used in car body racing class (I recall with ease a 1987 takeoff at tally by bobby allison....)

the parts to make those (relatively) light cars handle was once off the shelf and the turbo v6 shed important pounds from the nose

ps: I used to whip up on Tbirds, v8 and SC at beaver springs in the early 90's with my 5.0 powered Truck. top speeds might be cool, but the race is only 1320/1000 long....
 
actually they were rated at 125mph because of the tire technology available at the time in the size...the GNX had no such problem but GM kept the limiter in place on civilian models and removing it was an easy poke.

and the 200mph GM A/A special/G bodies found was in fact on the track. in fact, the undesired aerodynamics the bodies experience when sideways at anything over 120mph drove most of the dam/spoiling technologies used in car body racing class (I recall with ease a 1987 takeoff at tally by bobby allison....)

the parts to make those (relatively) light cars handle was once off the shelf and the turbo v6 shed important pounds from the nose

ps: I used to whip up on Tbirds, v8 and SC at beaver springs in the early 90's with my 5.0 powered Truck. top speeds might be cool, but the race is only 1320/1000 long....

There were plenty of tires available at the time rated well over that so really not an excuse. The cars stock suspension wasn't anything I would want to be riding on even "at" 125mph, never mind over that, that's why they didn't put better tires on it, the suspension just wasn't up to the task.

Drag racing is for old ladies lol

Besides, wasn't referencing the SC, or the V8 bird which had 40hp less than the 2.3 four banger in the TC, weighed more, and the TC with its tiny engine had a 50/50 weight distribution, they weren't even the same car really.
 
Last edited:
Can't believe you just said that. My favorite car of all time was my 1977 Olds Delta 88. Talk about driving your sofa down the road. It also had balls and when you stepped on it, it first stood up and then gave you whiplash.

Cheers!
there is a 78 98 in my garage a few feet from here...identical car except this has the 403/400 powertrain...AND, its for sale!
 
Lexus and Infiniti were out from the get-go. I don't need a Toyota or Nissan with the decimal point moved any more than I need an Escalade over my Suburban. And who thought that grille on the Lexus line-up was a good idea??? :crazy:

I get it... Although I don't agree necessarily about infiniti as much as Lexus, the new q50/60 red sport 400 are sick.. basically a mini gtr drivetrain with 4 doors.

400hp twin turbo v6 with gtr trickle down tech in the suspension and steering.

I'm not a Nissan fanboy but I applaud their engineering.

Also maybe worth looking at. CPO panamera turbo, it may be sacrilege to a quintessential porsche enthusiastic (911 only bro) but it's a fine sedan
 
It sounds like the Jag is a done deal, but I also wouldn't write off Lexus and Infinity just because of their parent companies. I mean Jaguar has been owned by the Indian company Tata Motors since 2008. I realize that's not the same relationship as Lexus/Toyota, but most car makers these days are a part of some other global company. I'm not sure about the present time, but in the beginning, Lexus was pretty independent from Toyota. The original LS was a pretty ground breaking car. The new LS looks pretty nice, as well as the new GS F.

Anyway, enjoy the new Jag!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom