• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Shopping For A New Car...

There were plenty of tires available at the time rated well over that so really not an excuse. The cars stock suspension wasn't anything I would want to be riding on even "at" 125mph, never mind over that, that's why they didn't put better tires on it, the suspension just wasn't up to the task.

Drag racing is for old ladies lol

Besides, wasn't referencing the SC, or the V8 bird which had 40hp less than the 2.3 four banger in the TC, weighed more, and the TC with its tiny engine had a 50/50 weight distribution, they weren't even the same car really.
no its actually a good excuse. the size of the tires used on the GN had few options. to do something radical, with different wheels, offsets etc, taking into account fender travel and turning circle - is left up to the buyer. My current N* caddy is the same...its a 150+mph car, but the size tires it uses are not easily had in the proper speed rating so I have a draconian limit on what I bill as a 'fast lesabre'. buy a 2004cts bone stock, I get a much much higher limit all because of tires.

I have never seen any old ladies at the tracks, but for the people that dont have a general admission 'run what ya brung' oval or road course (99.997% of americans) its the only place to open it up. I passed beaver springs every weekend traveling, etown was a short day hop, last few years I was but a few miles from mason dixon and now keystone is less than 45 mins away.(but I no longer run anything) like the sticker says 'when the light turns green, the BS stops'

and how many, outside of reading C&D mag, have ever driven on a loop/roadcourse? or even had the chance to? I used to live a fair drive from limerock and on saturday was competitive in a 1989 escort GT with a bonnet full of FMS goodies that then sat in danbury I84 traffic on monday, or the 75 laguna I had in college on dirt tracks all over PA...or my 180+mph laps at the old ontario...it was not for the everyday man. and I refuse to street race. period.

but yeah, i forgot to mention the TC because it generally was the slowest of the aero couples (incl the 90's SC/V8) bone stock. Yes, the smaller lighter engine helped handling just like the riggle cept the riggle generally had 100+ more hp stock, 200+ more modded...and you dont take a ford 8.8 into twisties under pressure without seriously modding the axle...(think C clips and flaming wreckage) but the t bird rear setup was the same as the buick and forgive me, but in a RWD car an unequal length A arm setup will outperform a strut setup especially camber control...just sayin
 
I know this may not be what you are looking for, but my 2014 Buick LaCrosse is plenty big enough for 4 humans, is real quiet and comfortable, and is scary fast for an Old Man car. (at 56 I think I may be the youngest owner) Not the prestige you might be going for, but a really nice car in the $50K range and the audio system is not half bad either.
I agree, the Lacrosse is no 'old man' car. It is wickedly rapid as hell, runs smooth as a baby's butt and beautifully stylish too.
Buick has burst into the 21st century no doubt.
 
It sounds like the Jag is a done deal, but I also wouldn't write off Lexus and Infinity just because of their parent companies. I mean Jaguar has been owned by the Indian company Tata Motors since 2008. I realize that's not the same relationship as Lexus/Toyota, but most car makers these days are a part of some other global company. I'm not sure about the present time, but in the beginning, Lexus was pretty independent from Toyota. The original LS was a pretty ground breaking car. The new LS looks pretty nice, as well as the new GS F.

Anyway, enjoy the new Jag!
it took me a while of re-reading to figure out what the target car was...
 
Nice 'Stang. If I didn't already have a "Sublime Green" HellCat Challenger, that would be on my list. I used to have a pic up as my avatar--it is the obnoxious green with black hood/rims and black interior--and 707 hp is no slouch.
Is the 'Sublime Green' what used to be called 'Grabber Green' back in the day?
 
I had a brother that 23 yrs ago put a 383 hot rodded SB Chev in a 81 Buick Lesabre 2dr coupe and it sure flew and handled well with added sway bars, shocks and the right wheels and tires. It was really stable at 130 MPH (he put a 160 MPH speedo in it from another GM car) plus quiet and rode well. It didn't cost him much and would blow the doors off just about anything back then.
 
I think I found the photo:

oil-stain-concrete-driveway-concretenetwork-com_90048.jpg


(Sorry - I had to do that!:p)
 
The big Cat is sitting outside in the rain--when it gets light out, I'll take a couple photos. It is one of the XJR 575 LWB models (and only RWD). It took awhile yesterday to close the deal, but we did it with a laugh.

I think my guys (employees) are more excited than I am--if that is possible. What many of you don't know, I own my own construction company and on May 5th was hit head-on by a tractor-trailer, ricocheted off of three other cars, through a guard rail and into a utility pole. I am lucky to be alive and walking--4 fractured vertebrae.

They know (as I have assured them), that I will continue on--I won't quit on them (although the thoughts of retirement have been on my mind), but we move forward--I just can't do what I used to (physically)--I was always there and willing to hike up shingles, block and siding and 5-gal buckets of whatever. It has been a life-changing experience that I don't wish upon anyone.

Back to the "fun" part... Who knew that you couldn't just walk into a bank and get $30K in cash out that easily? Had to go to two different bank branches to get the cash. Went to the dealer and was hammering out the last details with the sales manager when the general manager (whose car I was taking) came and sat down. "I understand that you are buying the car out-right?"--"Yes, I have $100K in my bag and the rest I'll put on a credit card."--now here is where the fun starts. He states "Let's go have lunch, while they detail the car."

An hour later (at Chipotle's) he looked at me and my shop foreman and said "you are serious?" "Here's $100K, I'll cover the rest." "How much money do you guys have?" We pulled our wallets and came up with an additional $1,078.23--SOLD!!! He laughed his ass off AND bought lunch.
 
The big Cat is sitting outside in the rain--when it gets light out, I'll take a couple photos. It is one of the XJR 575 LWB models (and only RWD). It took awhile yesterday to close the deal, but we did it with a laugh.

I think my guys (employees) are more excited than I am--if that is possible. What many of you don't know, I own my own construction company and on May 5th was hit head-on by a tractor-trailer, ricocheted off of three other cars, through a guard rail and into a utility pole. I am lucky to be alive and walking--4 fractured vertebrae.

They know (as I have assured them), that I will continue on--I won't quit on them (although the thoughts of retirement have been on my mind), but we move forward--I just can't do what I used to (physically)--I was always there and willing to hike up shingles, block and siding and 5-gal buckets of whatever. It has been a life-changing experience that I don't wish upon anyone.

Back to the "fun" part... Who knew that you couldn't just walk into a bank and get $30K in cash out that easily? Had to go to two different bank branches to get the cash. Went to the dealer and was hammering out the last details with the sales manager when the general manager (whose car I was taking) came and sat down. "I understand that you are buying the car out-right?"--"Yes, I have $100K in my bag and the rest I'll put on a credit card."--now here is where the fun starts. He states "Let's go have lunch, while they detail the car."

An hour later (at Chipotle's) he looked at me and my shop foreman and said "you are serious?" "Here's $100K, I'll cover the rest." "How much money do you guys have?" We pulled our wallets and came up with an additional $1,078.23--SOLD!!! He laughed his ass off AND bought lunch.
holy crap, did I read about this wreck?

logistically this is on my mind: a) you live in the snow belt aka the Pennsylvanian part of the Yukon territory. I put my olds and sub in heated storage dec1-april1 (or longer) and dont drive in rain *at all*. are you?
b) unlike me, you dont have a nearby parts stream or dealer network - how are you getting the hard crap worked on?
c) brown furry creatures that need eradicated from the planet. do you have an action plan, other than being escorted by a penndot plow 24x7? (and they dont have quite the top speed...)
 
holy crap, did I read about this wreck?

Probably not, I barely mentioned it at the time after I got home from 6 days in the hospital.

As for your other comments--this is a "summer only" car. I have trucks and a Suburban for the winters. It does get nasty up here. As for the brown furry things, I am used to watching for the beady glowing eyes--grew up with that. After all, it is only a car (as was the other one), and as long as I can walk away, that's all that really matters--learned that one the hard way.
 
Last edited:
May 5th was hit head-on by a tractor-trailer, ricocheted off of three other cars, through a guard rail and into a utility pole. I am lucky to be alive and walking--4 fractured vertebrae.

Geez, didn't know this. Glad you made it out and walking. Hope you bought a lotto ticket or gave thanks as you feel the need to.
 
Is your jag a convertible?Local Canadian tire owner has a conv jag r type?,that sounds absolutely wicked.Owning a Canadian tire store is a license to print money ! Also today saw a audi that looked wicked.Only saw it from the back but boy it looked awesome.Maybe a R8 as it was very low and had a wing.
 
savatage1973 glad your okay!

I know the feeling as I was in a bad winter accident in the fall of 2001 (bad rollover and headache rack and truck size saved me being a GMC 1/2T 4X4). My front shocks had gone weak sitting over the summer and was going to change them ASAP and didn't realize they were dangerous on a icy road with the solid axle front end! Short box with less wheelbase was no help either!

His is the 4 dr XJR 575 LWB models (and only RWD) and they don't make a 2dr in the sedan lines.

//rules.config.jaguar.com/jdx/en_us/cj_k18/3izoh/_/jdxmodel.html?q=a-x351lwb&

The F type (closest to the E type in looks they have come up with since then) is the latest 2 dr and they make it with AWD and conv. options. There is a nice red coupe up here in Cranberry Portage 40 mi south of here. I saw it at at the biggest Motel here back in the summer of 2014 and thought it was likely from Winnipeg.
 
Last edited:
After looking at the pics he has a f type r conv.Would not surprise me atall if a f type svr shows up.In the early 70,s I use to go to Holiday Chevrolet and lovingly gaze at all the muscle cars they had lined up.Test drove a few too!
 
Back
Top Bottom