• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Shopping for a New SUV

Can't go wrong with the Subaru Forester. Safe! Pretty good on gas. Bullet proof motor. Great resale value. Super in the rain/snow (4WD) Reliable. High customer appreciation.

On my 5th Sube right now. The above speaks for itself.

Q
 
For the record, Volvo was a Scandinavian (Swedish) company (originally), but has passed through many hands, including Renault, SAAB, GM, Ford and Mitsubishi--the truck division and heavy equipment (the profitable part) was spun off and sold--I don't know who currently owns the car brand.

I forgot about the Subarus--nice vehicles and pretty reliable as of late (just stay away from the CVT transmissions).

I again will have to encourage you to check out the new Honda CR-V. You do realize that Acura is just Honda with another $10K tacked on the sticker--almost to the point of being like an Escalade being a leather-wrapped Suburban, until you start getting into the big $$$ models.
 
I think the Jeep Wranglers are popular for a good reason, as I have asked many people about their's and they say they are quite reliable plus they have a full frame for toughness. Some in the mags may not like the ride with the solid axles, but they are rugged and easy to work on, plus you don't have the rubber boots to worry about.
 
Last edited:
Volvo was sold by Ford in 2008 when they needed $ to Greely of China. It's all FWD car based which also makes it fun to work on too! LOL!

What about the head gaskets on Sube's when they get near 100K miles?
 
Last edited:
The new subbie engines are supposed to NOT pop gaskets every 100k.

But we’ll see. MIL has a 2014 Impreza. Fingers crossed.
 
It's time to sell my 2007 Rav4 with only 78,000 miles on it.

We narrowed down a list of possible vehicles at the Car Show a few months ago and started test driving over the last week. Below is my list of possible selections and what we drove so far. Any input Pro or Con on any of them will be appreciated.

Features we want are
Full Power Passenger seats
Key less entry and start / remote start
Music play from USB Stick
Leather
Under $50K
0% Financing or close

Acura MDX - First one we looked at thinking we would not like it, but we did. Very comfortable and I like how it goes to 4cyl in cruise control.

Volvo XC90 - Really nice all around but mu wife did not like the seats and going over bumps felt like a truck. We also cannot get a new one for under $50K which is one of our needed features.

VW Atlas - Really nice and the biggest for cargo. Pricing was reasonable but real heavy doors and first year run.

Ford Explorer - Never been a Ford guy and still not. Price and Financing is good, Warranty sucks. Cumbersome to fold and adjust the seats, heavy doors that suffer from the same design flaw as the Taurus. The door pull is too close to the hinge and gives you no leverage to close the doors. They should be about 2 to 4 inches further back.

Still to look at

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Dodge Durango

Both the Dodge and Jeep have terrible interior options all black or black and gray.

Chevy Traverse

GMC Acadia

Buick Enclave

I currently have a Buick Lacrosse (2014) that I love and all the GMs have similar interiors and features

You should test drive Volvo XC60, not the newest version but the latest of the old model (-2017)
Drives good and built to last, I would buy the 5 cyl diesel and auto trans
 
I think the Jeep Wranglers are popular for a good reason, as I have asked many people about their's and they are quite reliable plus they have a full frame for toughness. Some in the mags may not like the ride with the solid axles, but they are rugged and easy to work on, plus you don't have the rubber boots to worry about.

The full rail frame and solid axles with leaf springs on all 4 corners are GONE--and have been for a LONG time.
 
savage 1973,

Your right on the Grand or regular Cherokee but not on the Jeep Wrangler 2 & 4 door (military style) , which was just redone with some aluminum parts on the body. Good ole solid axle Dana 44 on front as an option over the Dana 30 is even available. Rear is a the standard solid axle Dana 44 on leaf springs. They now offer a turbo 4 cyl 2.0L with a Diesel coming near the end of the year. They may not have leaf springs on the front anymore, but they still have a full frame which is now boxed and beefed up. Pickup truck version is coming also soon.

Anyway go look under one & that's why they're loved for offroad use!

Look at the increasing and really high sales and resale value tops any other 4X4!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wrangler
 
Last edited:
Quadman2 at how many miles or KM's do you get rid of or trade in the Sube's?



Good question...usually to the 400k...in km=240k miles. Never had any maj issue with either tranny or motor. A couple of the subes were taken out in the 300k km range though. Accidents, but not my fault.

Easy to work on. The boxer engine design is like the Porsche in that it gives a lower centre of gravity, so helps on the tight corners... not that I do this a lot, least not with the SO in the car, eh?:biggrin:

Lots of after market parts. Some however, I tend to go for dealer, but not often.

A reliable workhorse, with no fancies. But it works every time I ask it to. It ain't the prettiest on the block, but it's there when you need it.


And...not affiliated in any way with this brand.

Q
 
The new BMW X3 is probably the finest of all the cars you've mentioned . . . if you care about how it drives and handles. They start under $50k with standard power seats on both sides and, USB, and Bluetooth audio transfer, and on the remaining 2018s there's $2000 back in rebates and another $1000 if you finance through BMW and own a competitive make (Conquest Cash). If you don't drive one you won't ever experience the driving dynamics. If you drive one and don't care for it, then driving dynamics just aren't at the top of your list. That's okay. I deal with plenty of people every day who won't appreciate what makes a BMW a BMW, and don't care. They're not for everyone but the X3 is a great car, made in America, and maintenance is free for 3-years/36,000 miles. About $54,000 (before rebates) will get you all the modern safety devices and it's even $2000 cheaper if you don't need AWD, though I would never recommend the 2WD model.
 
No sube dealers around me for at least 200 miles.I know several people with Nissan rouges with the cvt and nothing but high praise from all.Not for my needs though.A you looking for new Hyfi?
 
I second the wagon idea. The new Volvo v90 falls just under $50k, and I think it's the best looking Volvo in a while. I bet is has as much or more cargo space than a lot of these mid size suvs.
I am also surprised only one person mentioned the Toyota Highlander. I don't know much about the new models, but I usually trust the quality of most Toyotas.
 
Back
Top Bottom