• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Shopping for a New SUV

It's time to sell my 2007 Rav4 with only 78,000 miles on it.

We narrowed down a list of possible vehicles at the Car Show a few months ago and started test driving over the last week. Below is my list of possible selections and what we drove so far. Any input Pro or Con on any of them will be appreciated.

Features we want are
Full Power Passenger seats
Key less entry and start / remote start
Music play from USB Stick
Leather
Under $50K
0% Financing or close

Acura MDX - First one we looked at thinking we would not like it, but we did. Very comfortable and I like how it goes to 4cyl in cruise control.

Volvo XC90 - Really nice all around but mu wife did not like the seats and going over bumps felt like a truck. We also cannot get a new one for under $50K which is one of our needed features.

VW Atlas - Really nice and the biggest for cargo. Pricing was reasonable but real heavy doors and first year run.

Ford Explorer - Never been a Ford guy and still not. Price and Financing is good, Warranty sucks. Cumbersome to fold and adjust the seats, heavy doors that suffer from the same design flaw as the Taurus. The door pull is too close to the hinge and gives you no leverage to close the doors. They should be about 2 to 4 inches further back.

Still to look at

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Dodge Durango

Both the Dodge and Jeep have terrible interior options all black or black and gray.

Chevy Traverse

GMC Acadia

Buick Enclave

I currently have a Buick Lacrosse (2014) that I love and all the GMs have similar interiors and features
Buick Enclave...
Buick Envision for even better gas mileage!
And the Buick envision even has power passenger rear seats!!!!!

If you get the upscale package.

My vote will always go to the Buick and in this case the Buick envision..
 
Think conservative. Do u really need an SUV? Most of the SUV's where I travel have one occupant, going down the road getting what? Mabet 15MPG. Thats great if you have 50k burning a hole in your wallet and can afford to buy one, let it sit in the barn until you really need it.
 
I can't (don't want to) afford a new Volvo and unless the GMs don't wow the hell out of me, the Acura is the choice at this moment.



The Buicks use a triple door molding and more and is the quietest car I have ever had. When it was in the showroom, we sat in it to play with the stereo and had all the windows up and had the music pretty loud. The people in the showroom never heard it until I opened the door.
I became a Buick owner for the first time in 2014 & have had 4 since.. 2014 Buick Encore silver, 2016 Buick Encore pearl white Diamond Tricoat, Black 2017 Buick Encore, and then another 2014 white diamond tricoat pearl white used, All premium packaged.... and as long as they keep making them like they do now I will always be a Buick guy!
The loaded Buick Envision is a phenomenal SUV I like it more than the Enclave
 
Think conservative. Do u really need an SUV? Most of the SUV's where I travel have one occupant, going down the road getting what? Mabet 15MPG. Thats great if you have 50k burning a hole in your wallet and can afford to buy one, let it sit in the barn until you really need it.
That's why we love the Buick Encore we have gotten 41 miles per gallon on the highway going about 5 miles per hour under the speed limit on several 500-mile trips to the western U. P. Michigan.
And 57 miles per gallon while drafting behind my in-laws 5th wheel travel trailer ! !
 
I think the Highlander's reputation is still on "the recovery" from the Toyota frame/sub-frame excessive rust issues that resulted in millions of dollars in settlements, and even a complete buy-back program for certain models (mainly the trucks).

The Land Cruiser has been, and still is an awesome, bullet-proof vehicle, but it is getting into Range Rover territory in terms of price.
 
If you are shopping the Buick Envision, get one that is sitting here on US soil right now--GM is currently begging the gov't to exempt it from the 25% tariff (it is 100% Chinese-built), but if that doesn't work, they are going to be forced to drop it from the line-up, as a 25% price increase would price it out of the market segment here in the US--not hatin', just sayin'...
 
If you are shopping the Buick Envision, get one that is sitting here on US soil right now--GM is currently begging the gov't to exempt it from the 25% tariff (it is 100% Chinese-built), but if that doesn't work, they are going to be forced to drop it from the line-up, as a 25% price increase would price it out of the market segment here in the US--not hatin', just sayin'...
General Motors could always come back to what has always been called Buick town Flint Michigan and build it here in Buick City like they used to...
General Motors it's still building pickup trucks in Flint Michigan..
And General Motors still building cars at Lake Orion Plant

GM to invest $100M at 2 Southeast Michigan plants to build...
ClickOnDetroit › news › gm-to-i...

Mar 15, 2018 · The Orion plant will continue to build the Chevrolet Bolt EV and Sonic as well as the Cruise AV. Copyright ..
 
Another good thing about the Buick Envision is the fact that it's been in production for several years and two years before it was sold in America it was sold in the rest of the world. ..
So having several years of production under its belt is a good thing.
Just a FYI for anybody considering looking at the Buick Envision.. .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Envision
 
Can't go wrong with the Subaru Forester. Safe! Pretty good on gas. Bullet proof motor. Great resale value. Super in the rain/snow (4WD) Reliable. High customer appreciation.

On my 5th Sube right now. The above speaks for itself.

Q

I had a Suburu Outback Wagon, great car but it was a Lemon from the day I drove it off the lot. It suffered from an earlier year recall of something in the right front drive mechanism. If you took you hands off the wheel and gave it gas, it turned right. The forester is not as big as the Rav4 I am getting rid of.

Nissan Murano
Not big enough, no full passenger power seats, same with 4runner

What about a Highlander?
I would have bought a Highlander already if they came with full passenger power seats. The only Toyota you can get that in is the top model Avalon.

For the record, Volvo was a Scandinavian (Swedish) company (originally), but has passed through many hands, including Renault, SAAB, GM, Ford and Mitsubishi--the truck division and heavy equipment (the profitable part) was spun off and sold--I don't know who currently owns the car brand.

I forgot about the Subarus--nice vehicles and pretty reliable as of late (just stay away from the CVT transmissions).

I again will have to encourage you to check out the new Honda CR-V. You do realize that Acura is just Honda with another $10K tacked on the sticker--almost to the point of being like an Escalade being a leather-wrapped Suburban, until you start getting into the big $$$ models.

I know the Acura is a Honda, just like Lexus is Toyota. That is why I am looking at all 3 GMs, I have been leaning towards the Enclave from the start and leaving it for last.

I think the Jeep Wranglers are popular for a good reason, as I have asked many people about their's and they say they are quite reliable plus they have a full frame for toughness. Some in the mags may not like the ride with the solid axles, but they are rugged and easy to work on, plus you don't have the rubber boots to worry about.

Not big enough and ugly. Have they figured out a way to get the windshield wipers not to stop right in the middle of the windshield yet? :)

You should test drive Volvo XC60, not the newest version but the latest of the old model (-2017)
Drives good and built to last, I would buy the 5 cyl diesel and auto trans
Again, not big enough, measured it when we looked at the 90

The new BMW X3 is probably the finest of all the cars you've mentioned . . . if you care about how it drives and handles. They start under $50k with standard power seats on both sides and, USB, and Bluetooth audio transfer, and on the remaining 2018s there's $2000 back in rebates and another $1000 if you finance through BMW and own a competitive make (Conquest Cash). If you don't drive one you won't ever experience the driving dynamics. If you drive one and don't care for it, then driving dynamics just aren't at the top of your list. That's okay. I deal with plenty of people every day who won't appreciate what makes a BMW a BMW, and don't care. They're not for everyone but the X3 is a great car, made in America, and maintenance is free for 3-years/36,000 miles. About $54,000 (before rebates) will get you all the modern safety devices and it's even $2000 cheaper if you don't need AWD, though I would never recommend the 2WD model.
Not big enough, too stiff of a ride, I will take the ride of my Buick LaCrosse over a BMW any day.


Anyone I missed and those who replied, Thank You for all the suggestions and input. The hardest feature to find is the full power passenger seats. My wife and I don't have His & Her vehicles and we both have back issues. We don't want to be stuck in a position on long drives. I was 1 day from picking up a Toyota Avalon when we realized this and found the Buick which I absolutely love.

Yes, I do want an SUV and not a car or wagon. The way they are making cars/suvs now sucks as they roll off the back and steal cargo and entry dimensions to save MFG money as they pass it on as gas millage, bullshit. Then they add up every possible square inch unusable nook and cranny and post is as Cubic Feet of Cargo space, more bullshit. We Cross Country Ski and Snowshoe and do more long distance road trips than fly anywhere. I also want to be able to fit my Clearfields in the back LOL.

This week is shot for more test drives so I will start again next week. We will look at the CRV because of the urging here. The 07s were toys for tots.
 
Another good thing about the Buick Envision is the fact that it's been in production for several years and two years before it was sold in America it was sold in the rest of the world. ..
So having several years of production under its belt is a good thing.
Just a FYI for anybody considering looking at the Buick Envision.. .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Envision
I really wanted this one when I saw it, but again they made it too small for me. It is not even as big as my old Rav4.
 
As far as seat comfort, I've never found anything better than the two Volvos I used to have from the 90s. Even my wife's Avalon can't compare. I don't know about the newer models, but I've always thought Volvo was king of the comfortable seat. The new v90 cross country is basically an SUV with better handling.
 
savage 1973,

Your right on the Grand or regular Cherokee but not on the Jeep Wrangler 2 & 4 door (military style) , which was just redone with some aluminum parts on the body. Good ole solid axle Dana 44 on front as an option over the Dana 30 is even available. Rear is a the standard solid axle Dana 44 on leaf springs. They now offer a turbo 4 cyl 2.0L with a Diesel coming near the end of the year. They may not have leaf springs on the front anymore, but they still have a full frame which is now boxed and beefed up. Pickup truck version is coming also soon.

Anyway go look under one & that's why they're loved for offroad use!

Look at the increasing and really high sales and resale value tops any other 4X4!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wrangler
Just a nitpick, but Jeep Wranglers have had coil springs, both front and rear, since the restyle in 1997. They've had box frames since the old CJ days, too.
 
As far as seat comfort, I've never found anything better than the two Volvos I used to have from the 90s. Even my wife's Avalon can't compare. I don't know about the newer models, but I've always thought Volvo was king of the comfortable seat. The new v90 cross country is basically an SUV with better handling.
My Father always had about 10 vehicles half GM Products because he worked for GM..
Then he loved his Volvo's...
I just sold a 740 Turbo Wagon I had gotten from him recently...
The New models are amazing for sure
 
As far as seat comfort, I've never found anything better than the two Volvos I used to have from the 90s. Even my wife's Avalon can't compare. I don't know about the newer models, but I've always thought Volvo was king of the comfortable seat. The new v90 cross country is basically an SUV with better handling.

I liked the seats in the 90, but my wife did not. She is like the Princess and the Pea, so far she likes the Acura seats and vehicle the best.

new 11-speaker, 800-watt JBL premium audio system is also available.!!!

https://www.cars.com/research/toyota-rav4-2019/

My Rav has a JBL system with subwoofer and external amp. Decent sound but nothing like the 12 speaker surround in the Lacrosse.

Oh yeah, I also noticed they have stopped including CD players in most newer vehicles. I don't use a smartphone so my other main requirement is MP#s off of a USB Stick playback.
 
I liked the seats in the 90, but my wife did not. She is like the Princess and the Pea, so far she likes the Acura seats and vehicle the best.



My Rav has a JBL system with subwoofer and external amp. Decent sound but nothing like the 12 speaker surround in the Lacrosse.

Oh yeah, I also noticed they have stopped including CD players in most newer vehicles. I don't use a smartphone so my other main requirement is MP#s off of a USB Stick playback.
My wife drove a brand new Buick LaCrosse for one whole week.. . It the had the heads-up display hologram stuff on the windshield and also the speed limits sign that looks like the ones on the road. . It constantly showed what the actual speed limit was no matter where you are driving perfectly to the foot and if there were no speed limit signs it would tell you the the speed limit so there was no excuse as to not know what it was.. that is a real cool feature.. . Although talk about being tracked and Traced by the inch LOL them satellite Systems know exactly where you are and what the speed limits are . .
 
The Volvo V90 Cross Country is a different car than the xc90, which is the SUV.
The v90 is the brand new wagon, replacing the v70, and the Cross Country version is the awd lifted version.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom