• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Should I buy a pair of Yamaha NS-1000M?

tiga

Super Member
A local shop here is selling a pair of these for 100. They are a little cosmetically challenged with some rounded corners and missing a lot of the black paint. The drivers appear to be original - one of the woofer grills is pushed in a bit. He currently doesn't have anything to connect to them so I don't know if the drivers work. He said they worked the last time he played them but that was many years ago.

I would be driving these with either a Sansui 9090 or a Pilot 110 Tube Integrated (~15 watts). The speakers I currently rotate around include: Pioneer CS-77a, Boston A70's, KLH 20, Mach One. Comments and recommendations are welcome. Thanks!

Tiga
 
Register to hide this ad
:scratch2:Let me think...........:scratch2:$100.........Hell YES.You haven't snagged them yet..







I'm biased a little..:D
 
One of the best midranges ever produced, if not the definitive midrange in my humble but experienced opinion. The tweeter is very, very good but it doesn't extend high, and can sound rough on the stock crossover, and outside of a highly treated room it may not make much bass. I don't find them musical, ie I don't find them colored, warm, soft, inspiring or polite. They have a job to do, and they do it really well.

Stereophile listed it in the top 100 audio products of the past 100 years, and Stereophile's list of "Best top 25 speakers of past 40 years" which included others like the Quad ESL-63, MBL 101D, Avantgarde Uno & Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage, Apogee Scintilla, B&W 801 Matrix Series 2, Acoustat 2+2, Infinity IRS, Wilson Audio WAMM, AR3a, and others.
David Price from Hi Fi World, Martin Colloms of of High Performance Loudspeakers, the Audio Engineering Society, Innerworld Audio's Vaughan Warren, and a host of others have used it for years and some still use it as a reference speaker. Some studios still use them, well the ones that didn't blow the drivers.

jhpstudio3pic4.png


Troels Gravesen: "They present a level of transparency rarely heard, and by a comfortable margin supersedes many modern speakers. It's hard to believe they're not still in production as they do so many things so right...The middome provides a phenomenal dispersion that requires a recessed on-axis response in the midrange to present an overall balanced sound...
Beryllium has recently been reintroduced by Focal and ScanSpeak for dome tweeters, but I think this Yamaha is the one-and-only when it comes to mid-domes. It displays an excellent frequency response and the cumulative spectral decay leaves little to be desired. In this construction it covers the 500-4500 Hz region, hence handles the troublesome upper mid/lower treble region with no 2-3 kHz point of crossover. Much like my ScanSpeak SP44 construction, only this 3½" dome goes almost an octave lower compared to the Accuton C50.
Thanks to Sven for pointing out some measurements presented in Martin Colloms' High Performance Loudspeakers. Here we see an unusual low distortion profile for the NS1000 compared to a contemporary 3-way...

NS-1000M is a special speaker by today's standard. The use of a 12" bass driver in a small closed box, the use of the beryllium domes, the unusual dispersion all through the midrange and up to its upper limit and it's ability to reveal detail and transparency like few speakers can do. It is somewhat demanding on associated equipment and it doesn't play rubbish recordings without telling you so. For those who take the time sourcing the right equipment and experiment with placement and mid/tweeter attenuation, it may be a lasting love affair. I'm not sure there's a plug'n play speaker, but this is not one of them.
"

He's the second person to redesign the crossover for these speakers and correct the driver frequency integration and phase that caused the biting harsh in the upper mid-treble.

NS1000-horizontal-0-10-20-30-40-45-c.gif

0o, 10o, 20o, 30o, 40o and 45o dispersion respectively (red to blue)

Should you buy these? It depends on many factors and what you enjoy and seek in your listening.
 
Last edited:
Jeebus run don't walk! If you don't like them the drivers alone are worth tons more, but DO fix them up, you won't be sorry. Those are real extremely accurate studio monitors.
 
Refinishing the cabinets is easy. My 1000M's have been refinished. The corners were all dinked up as well.Even manage to retain the YAMAHA NS-1000M insignia.:thmbsp:
 
Well these cabinets are pretty rough with a little separation going on on one of the bottom joints. Couple hunks of laminate missing here and there as well. Solid heavy buggers though.

So it sounds like these have great mids and a very non colored sound that is very revealing of poor source material. Would you say these are head and shoulders above what I currently have? What kind of power do I need to drive these? In addition to the 9090 and 110 I have a Sansui 5500 (50watts) and a kenwood 4140(25watts).
 
He currently doesn't have anything to connect to them so I don't know if the drivers work. He said they worked the last time he played them but that was many years ago.

Bring a small amp, an iPod, and some speaker wire to test them is what I did when I got mine for far more just to be sure they work. If they do, you'll have one sweet deal going on. :thmbsp:
 
If you Dont I sure as hell will!!!!! YES BUY THEM!!!! Tell me ,WHERE ARE THEY. I WILL PICK THEM UP FOR YOU AND TEST THEM FOR YOU FOR FREEEEEE AT MY SECRET BAT CAVE.
 
Last edited:
Don't worry - all is well. I have them!

Good news - tweeters and mids work fine
Bad news - woofers not putting out much. Just a low muffled sound.

Is it safe to assume the woofers are toast or could there be another reason? What I've heard out of the mids/tweeters was pretty impressive. Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

Tiga
 
Do the woofers feel like the voice coils may be dragging? Give the L-pads a deoxit treatment.
 
Could be crossovers, or if they have l-pads those as well.

Not saying it can't happen.But the NS-1000 crossovers are built like a tank.I would think the Be drivers would fry way before the crossover even coughed.
 
Do the woofers feel like the voice coils may be dragging? Give the L-pads a deoxit treatment.

Do I have to pull the woofer to remove the protective grill? The L-pads do seem like they need a good cleaning - would that affect the woofer? Thanks Dave!
 
Back
Top Bottom