• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Should I buy a pair of Yamaha NS-1000M?

Sigh. Passed on a pair of 1000Ms three days ago at $125 for the pair when they didn't take my offer of $80 for the pair. When I went back yesterday they had been sold that morning already. I should know better by now. Thank goodness I did buy the pair I found a couple of months ago.

Congrats on the find, locked woofers or not. Great speaker.

Were you feeling well that day Perry?
 
Now you've gone and got me all scared about mine since we have really humid summers here too.

Preventative maintenance tip...put some epoxy around the outer edge of the magnet seat.

The gap is very tight, magnet very strong and hard to align. :sigh:

Even if you replace one it's a compromise. The original drivers were closely matched.

Didn't notice any difference with or without the convex metal mesh woofer grill. Only downside is harder to clean out dust.

The fabric is thicker on the 1000 than on the 1000M and the grill frame is harder to remove...so dialing in the level controls for your room is easier on the 1000M.
 
Were you feeling well that day Perry?

Well, let's put it this way - the day I first saw them I must have been feeling pretty full of myself, trying to talk them down from $125/pr...but the day I went back and found they had been sold? Pretty sick feeling that day, for sure! :thumbsdn:

But hey, I DO already have a pair, so probably its good that someone else gets to enjoy the sound of 1000Ms as well. At least, that's the rationalization I'm currently sticking to... ;)

(but, on the other hand, I wonder if someone went in, saw all those mesh grills over the drivers, equated that to 'kickin' car speakers' and dragged them home to abuse and eventually blow with their Yorx all-in-one...back comes the 'sigh')
 
Last edited:
Does anyone know if new yamaha replacement woofers can still purchased anywhere? Thanks!
Tiga
 
Go onto Ebay now. Look under yamaha vintage spkers. It's the very 1st item being listed for sale. Happy hunting!!!
 
Last edited:
So for replacement woofers - is there difference between the 3058a vs. the 3058b models? From what I can tell from researching this that there may be a difference in magnet structure but I'm not sure if there is a noticeable sound difference between the two. I picked up a 3058a model for one speaker - should I stick with that exact model for the other? Thanks!
Tiga
 
You have a dilemna, but a good one. You can buy replacement woofers for those speakers for probably a few hundred and have something very nice to listen to. Or - sell the working mids and tweets at a fat profit. Either way, nice score.

I found a set of NS-1000s once for $20, and was prepared to restore them no matter it cost. Then I got home, found out both tweeters were shot plus one of the mids was blown. When I looked up replacement cost I decide to part the working drivers out.
 
E bay has NS 1000 woofers listed quite often for sale. Be sure to chk/match part numbers before buying.
 
refinishing the cabinets

Refinishing the cabinets is easy. My 1000M's have been refinished. The corners were all dinked up as well.Even manage to retain the YAMAHA NS-1000M insignia.:thmbsp:

Hello Avionic, I just picked up a pair of 1000m's and they are pretty beat up but could pass...I like a vintage look but ebony all chipped up scratched up and little dented looks shady...What did you do to refinish the cabinets?
 
Hello Avionic, I just picked up a pair of 1000m's and they are pretty beat up but could pass...I like a vintage look but ebony all chipped up scratched up and little dented looks shady...What did you do to refinish the cabinets?

NS-1000M's were easy. NS-1000's ebony is a whole different story. Need to find someone with a little more veneering experience than me.
 
The Macassar Ebony veneer is thick. Can stand a re-finish. However the poly clear coat is harder to replicate, or is it? :scratch2: First of this type I've had.

New veneer of this type is $$$.

.
 
Sorry to re hash such an old thread. I was searching because I have a pair of NS-500Ma and the L mid just went bad.

I pulled it and it is JA 1219 on the 500Ma and the 500M is JA 1214. So not the same as 1000M.

Possible someone upgraded to the 1000M mid in your 500Ma pair?? Score! :)

I agree with others that the 500Ma is about as close to the 1000M and about 1/2 to now even 1/3 of the cost of a pair of 1000M's. So bang for the buck is a no brainer with the 500Ma. Plus I like the rareity of the 500Ma's.


JonVH, The NS-500Ma (notice the M) uses the same mid as the NS-1000m. I took mine apart just to confirm part numbers.

Also, the NS-500Ma has a carbon woofer with no grill. The cabinet is about 2/3rds the heft of the 1000 cabinet. I spent half my life listening to NS-1000 speaker at my parent's home, my uncle's home and my grandfather's. Sadly, I can't do a back to back comparison but I have now stopped looking for a set of NS-1000m speakers. The 500Ma is more than satisfying me.

I'd like to think a recap in the future would make me happy. I wouldn't apply the crossover mod to the speakers unless there was an ability to match it to the different woofer of the 500Ma. I'd love to hot rod my speakers.
 
What is the number on the woofer? I have a pair of JA3060 12" Yamaha woofers that I refoamed. I was keeping them, along with a p
What is the number on the woofer? I have a pair of JA3060 12" Yamaha woofers that I refoamed. I was keeping them, along with a pair of JA0701B mids in case my NS-690s needed them but they are not really the same woofer as the NS-690 Mk I.
Merrylander,

When you refoamed those 12" yamahas (JA3060) did they have the very large aluminum frames? i measure the surround frame outside diameter at 11.5" or a little over and the cone diameter at 9.25". It looks like the inner surround was glued on the underside of the cone. I have no experience with this. How do you get the surround under the outer edge of the cone? the surrounds don't fit into aluminum frame well on the outer edge and they bunch up. I assume this will work itself out once i get the inner edge under the cone. In short. Help. I know this is rambling but I want to get this right. Any help would be appreciated.
 
Hey this was my thread! LOL. So I ended up buying two woofers on ebay and got them working. Shortly after that I moved and one of the replacement woofers magnets shifted during the move and they've been in storage waiting for me to get them working again. (so many projects). Seeing this thread makes me think it may be time.
 
Back
Top Bottom