• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show Me Your Sansui!

Very nice! So, is this your way of saying you've hit audio nirvana and are done collecting now? :D

Haha, I hope I am never "done". But I do have to say this 2301 combo is starting to look like a permanent resident. The 4311's are interesting. Very transparent and flat. Not much coloration of the music at all. I can hear why they are such legendary monitors - and I love the way they look. I am a very big fan of ADS speakers though, and have some L-1530's in restoration now so those will be coming in for the Sansui Sound treatment soon.
 
Last edited:
Those 4311's sure did not measure very good according to Dan. I wonder how much his "improvements" actually do.
I'm currently using the retro L82's, and really enjoy them. (let the flaming begin)

 
Those 4311's sure did not measure very good according to Dan. I wonder how much his "improvements" actually do.
I'm currently using the retro L82's, and really enjoy them. (let the flaming begin)


Haha, yeah I saw his review. And I take everything he says with a grain of salt. He never has anything good to say about any speakers. It's part of his schtick. He is entertaining though, for sure. And he just so happens to sell "upgrade" kits for all of the speakers he reviews. And I don't doubt his very expensive kits help, some, though. Especially when considering these are 50 years old speakers - the industry has learned a lot in those decades. I watch a lot of his videos. I think you have to check you feelings and personal bias' at the door with him. He is a professional at telling people their babies are ugly.

The vintage JBL's have a rabid following for good reason. For what they were at the time, and for what they stand for for us vintage audio folks. They are gorgeous monuments to a time when the next most important purchase in the household to the family car was the hi-fi system.

I had a line on some L-100's too. Which are the home stereo version of these 4311 monitors. The looks and wild looking driver orientation of the 4311's are what attracted me to them though. And they are true studio monitors. I really wanted to hear what the pros were hearing at that time. There is also some JBL legend and lore around the drivers in these original 4311's being preferable to the follow on additions, with the original 4311's having more of "the JBL sound" than the later iterations.

It is all across the Sansui history that the engineers were testing on JBL speakers. This is the sound they were hearing. Your L82's look like a very fine reproduction! JBL knows what they are doing. Your speakers looks just as iconic as the models from 70's. Gorgeous. What color foam grill on yours?

SANSUI + JBL
 
I went with black grills, but really want the orange. I'm too conservative to have bright orange....

Part of my decision making came from Dan's cohort Ron. His review of the L82's was pretty well received. No regrets what so ever.
 
Haha, yeah I saw his review. And I take everything he says with a grain of salt. He never has anything good to say about any speakers. It's part of his schtick. He is entertaining though, for sure. And he just so happens to sell "upgrade" kits for all of the speakers he reviews. And I don't doubt his very expensive kits help, some, though. Especially when considering these are 50 years old speakers - the industry has learned a lot in those decades. I watch a lot of his videos. I think you have to check you feelings and personal bias' at the door with him. He is a professional at telling people their babies are ugly.

The vintage JBL's have a rabid following for good reason. For what they were at the time, and for what they stand for for us vintage audio folks. They are gorgeous monuments to a time when the next most important purchase in the household to the family car was the hi-fi system.

I had a line on some L-100's too. Which are the home stereo version of these 4311 monitors. The looks and wild looking driver orientation of the 4311's are what attracted me to them though. And they are true studio monitors. I really wanted to hear what the pros were hearing at that time. There is also some JBL legend and lore around the drivers in these original 4311's being preferable to the follow on additions, with the original 4311's having more of "the JBL sound" than the later iterations.

It is all across the Sansui history that the engineers were testing on JBL speakers. This is the sound they were hearing. Your L82's look like a very fine reproduction! JBL knows what they are doing. Your speakers looks just as iconic as the models from 70's. Gorgeous. What color foam grill on yours?

SANSUI + JBL
Back in the day I sold hi-fi and JBL was a brand we carried. I was never a fan of L100's because their bass, though very flat, didn't go deep enough for me. But now I think if one simply added one of those little class D subwoofer amps and a small subwoofer to L100's, they'd have an incredible system. And you can hide the sub...
 
Yes, the 8500 my favorite of all. Such a good looking powerful beast. It's my next project starting soon. I got it about four months ago. It sounds great. After using it for a few days there was some DC cracking at the speakers. I'm going to rebuild the drivers and the power supply. Lots of glue on the power supply that has to go.

Glue in 8500?
 
Here’s my first Sansui TT (the SR-838) that I was finally able to get up and running after a good deal of blood, sweat and tears. To the left is what I believe may be the earliest QRX series quad receiver they made - the QRX-3000 (1972 to 1974). It is comtemporaneous with the QRX-3500, which is a different form factor (looks like the 4500/5500/7500). The following year (1973) they released a slightly lower model - the QRX-2000 - which is the same form factor as my QRX-3000, an example of which I would very much like to have. This little guy is 15 watts x 4, and I believe capacitor coupled (it’s been a bit since I have been under the hood). Honestly, it sounds like the AU-505, which is to say WAY better than it had any right to. And it just never loses its composure as you go way past 12 o’clock on the dial. I wonder sometimes if this is a linear volume pot like in the AU-9900/11000/20000 series.

Sansui made a small handful of quads prior to this one - the QR series 500, 1500, 4500 and 6500. I like the 4500 and 6500 looks (I have the 6500), but I do not care for the 500 and 1500. I aim to have all the Sansui quads, save the QR-500 and 1500. (I have a bit more than half now). I would love to have the integrated quads as well.

IMG_4571.jpeg
 
Last edited:
BTW, I think the QRX-2000 is very rare. There are none on eBay (active or sold), nor any listed on Hi-Fi shark. And I have never seen one for sale. It was a multi-export unit, so I imagine there must be a few floating around over here on this side of the pond.
 
Not mine - and maybe I have shown these pics already in a different thread...

Sansui F2 speakers. Seems they consist of 3 individual modules per speaker, and fully assembled it is 60kg per speaker and Height:1.25m/Width:0.32m/Depth:0.45m.
From what I gathered on the web, they might not be late-Sansui models, but rather from 2003 or something with just the name on them...

sansui_f2_1.jpg

sansui_f2_2.jpg

sansui_f2_3.jpg

sansui_f2_4.jpg

sansui_f2_5.jpg
 
Last edited:
1774190339200.jpeg
I asked because I've never seen glue on 8500, 9500.
1774191282659.jpeg

I'll take more detailed pictures when I go to mine. Those capacitors are probably leaking.
 
Last edited:
I'll post better pictures when I get it back on the bench soon. I've only been in there once when I first got the 8500 last December. My recollection is that it was a significant amount.
I found two pictures of the F-2030 board from an AU-8500, they do indeed show glue. I didn't see any on the 9500.
a4p_psu-prot-2 (1).jpga4p_psu-prot-3.jpg
 
Yes, from my first observations, this is exactly what I expect to see when I pull that board and those caps. I recall it surrounding those resistor legs as well. This will be good to compare to yours.
It must be removed. Possibly a better glue than later versions, yet it has not done any damage for 50 years.
 
It must be removed. Possibly a better glue than later versions, yet it has not done any damage for 50 years.
I don’t know when Sansui stopped using the glue, but I can tell you my a907DR has plenty of it on the amplifier boards. It looks different than that contained in the G-7700, however. But maybe only because it isn’t as old. I don’t know.
 
I don’t know when Sansui stopped using the glue, but I can tell you my a907DR has plenty of it on the amplifier boards. It looks different than that contained in the G-7700, however. But maybe only because it isn’t as old. I don’t know.
I noticed that older models have no glue or very little. The newer models have problems, possibly because they used different types of glue.
 
Back
Top Bottom