• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show Me Your Sansui!

Congrats on the BA-5000. I keep telling myself I'll have one eventually, but it's a long term goal.
Exactly. I keep telling myself the same thing. Do I need one? No. Will I buy one if the right opportunity comes along? Most likely. My issue is that I'd like to find one nearby. At the price point and given the complexities of shipping that beast, I'm hesitant to buy one sight unseen from far away. Whether I'll ever come across one in my neck of the sticks remains to be seen.
 
Need? Ha! I'm well past the point of needing more gear. And yet I persist in collecting (albeit with much less frequency than I once did). I've told myself if I ever do pull the trigger on a 5000, it will need to be local, or at least close enough to pick up in person. I just cannot see shipping one, they're too easy to damage due to their weight.
 
I have a CA-606, and will vouch for it being a high quality piece. It's tone controls are rotary switches with resistor networks built on them, and it sounds generally excellent (mine was recapped by the previous owner in Japan).
 
It's tone controls are rotary switches with resistor networks built on them, and it sounds generally excellent
Same with the Eight. I just cleaned the tone controls last night. Talk about marvels of engineering that I don't want to mess with! They were really gunked up with 55 years worth of sludge. They are silky smooth and clicking politely now. I can't wait to hear them. I hope to get the dc and bias adjustments done this weekend and then hear how the Eight really sounds. I only gave it a quick listen to confirm output when I brought it home Monday. It's cleaned up beautifully so far.
Eight tone resistors.jpgEight tone resistors2.jpgClean Eight.jpg
 
I largely went away from receivers 5 or 6 years ago to the point where I no longer own any, but if I were ever to be tempted again, that would be a top contender!
I hear you and I thought I had enough of them in my collection. I really have no use for the receiver part. I don't listen to the radio. Hell, I don't even do the dial light mod to keep the lights on while using other inputs! I have little to no interest in the 8080/9090 or G series (again, not that I wouldn't if something presented itself, but they're not targets). There's just something about these old early 70s silver face models, however, that really appeals to me. I've been really happy with the 7000 as the TOTL for me in that series, and I wasn't looking for the Eight. It just appeared. Nearby, in good shape, and fairly priced. I had to. I also have a good selection of integrated amps. I'm interested in more separates and projects to continue learning repair and restoration. And God forbid a worthy SR-929 reveals itself!
 
What was the issue Dr. Jim? @JimEGR

The dreaded JDM CD player shipping curse! Rough transit. Optical tray fell out of its mounts (luckily they didn’t break like the last one). Once I buttoned that back up the tray would open 1” then close again. Spent a good hour trying to figure that one out. There was actually some interference underneath the tray. Maybe something broke in transit I don’t know. Ended up having to carve out a little material so the tray would glide without trouble. Then the open/close limit switch needed adjustment. I treated all of the gliding surfaces with white lithium grease. Mostly successful. I’m still getting the fake-out open on the first open after playing, no trouble opening on subsequent commands. I’ll probably let it go for now and just keep using it. My other 717 had trouble opening and closing as well. Different issue. But it seemed to work itself out over time. I suspect these units just need to be used. They’ve probably been dormant in some uncle’s estate for decades.

I sure like these 717’s.


Edit: Dove back in. Rotated the foam tray stop 90 degrees to a thicker section and voila 100% performance. The patient has made a full recovery!
View recent photos.png
 
Last edited:
Yes. I like the 717 CD players alot. Best CD player I've ever used and heard.
So good that I decided to part with my Hafler CD player.

Nice fix @JimEGR
My fancy Sony has been collecting dust. Not only because I have a Sansui brand bias, but also the 717's just sounds great. I have read the MASH DAC's have a reputation for being more musical and less clinical. Something seems to be doing it for my ears.
 
Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoy my Technics players with the MASH DAC's, so would expect the Sansui's to be every bit as good, and more likely better (given the extra attention to detail in circuit design). Technics didn't make much of a foray into esoteric high end designs, as Sansui clearly did with these particular units. Closest they got was probably the SL-P1000.
 
Same with the Eight. I just cleaned the tone controls last night. Talk about marvels of engineering that I don't want to mess with! They were really gunked up with 55 years worth of sludge. They are silky smooth and clicking politely now. I can't wait to hear them. I hope to get the dc and bias adjustments done this weekend and then hear how the Eight really sounds. I only gave it a quick listen to confirm output when I brought it home Monday. It's cleaned up beautifully so far.
View attachment 3704334View attachment 3704335View attachment 3704336
congrats! I like the Eight too

I think smurfer here on AK still sells replacement stickers for the pushbuttons. They are excellent I bought some
 
I hear you and I thought I had enough of them in my collection. I really have no use for the receiver part. I don't listen to the radio. Hell, I don't even do the dial light mod to keep the lights on while using other inputs! I have little to no interest in the 8080/9090 or G series (again, not that I wouldn't if something presented itself, but they're not targets). There's just something about these old early 70s silver face models, however, that really appeals to me. I've been really happy with the 7000 as the TOTL for me in that series, and I wasn't looking for the Eight. It just appeared. Nearby, in good shape, and fairly priced. I had to. I also have a good selection of integrated amps. I'm interested in more separates and projects to continue learning repair and restoration. And God forbid a worthy SR-929 reveals itself!
I picked up an Eight a month or so ago. Per usual, mine is derelict (accordingly I shelled out only $200 for it). I have it up and running now, but it needs new veneer. Otherwise, she is a peach. Those bronze (I think) side sinks with the medallions and the covers are super nice. A clear step up from the Seven (I don’t have a 7000), at least in terms of build quality. On the other hand, my SR-838 is giving me the red ass!!
 
@ Plimpington2

"On the other hand, my SR-838 is giving me the red ass!!"

What is the problem with it?

The problem with it is that it "jitters" for lack of a better term. I can get the speed more or less close to 33+1/3, but within a narrow band, my strobe reflection oscillates back and forth. As a result, it sounds drunk. I have been repairing and rehabbing vintage amplifiers and receivers for the past year or so (my last was a complete rebuild on a G9000), but this is my first direct drive quartz locked TT, and it's breaking me.

When I got this thing (about 3 months ago, I think), the speed was way off and strobe would not light at all. I couldn't get it above 24 rpm. I got into it this past week, and determined I had a bad transistor and diode on the PSU board. Replaced those (and the neon lamp for the strobe), and now have decent voltages off the PSU and the strobe works. While I was in there, I did all the capacitors and replaced another diode on the speed control board. I was finally able to set the speed. But there is no speed stability whatsoever. It's a mess.

It is my understanding from reading the service manual (at least a million times) that this thing regulates speed in one of two ways - first, by using the quartz lock system that compares frequency data from a speed sensor monitoring the motor with a reference frequency generated by the quartz crystal (after being divided down a dozen times or so from Mhz to something manageable) - and second, by generating a frequency (I guess) from a CR circuit and comparing that to frequency data from the motor. I'm not entirely sure about the second method. The thing is, I have the exact same behaviors whether I have quartz locked engaged or not engaged. I think it uses one method OR the other depending on whether I have the quartz locked button engaged or not (and the fine speed "pitch control" only works when quartz lock not engaged, correct - I should check the owners manual for that). AND YET, I feel like these two systems interact with each each other even when quartz locked is engaged.

What I am trying to determine from a threshold standpoint is whether I just need to continue adjustment of the trim-pots on board to solve this issue - or does this portend a fault on either the speed control board or the motor control board (or worse, a problem with the motor itself). I have checked all voltages on the speed control board (and a few are off, which is why I am surprised by I was able to set speed), and more ominously the DC voltage on pin 9 of the quartz associated IC (which represents the test point for the oscilloscope if I want to dial in speed that way) is all over the place. It's not steady. I have not checked voltages on the motor control board yet.

I'm going to monkey around with it over the next few days, and if I can't get it sorted out, I'll put up a separate thread here to look for assistance.
 
I bought the Sansui 1000A in 2019 and I still think it was one of the best purchases I made on eBay before Covid-19.
The condition was mint, very well preserved, and serviced It was reasonably priced for its condition. It has been one of the receivers I have been able to enjoy the least.

I hope to get it working in a small room I have with the Pioneer CS-a700.
Looking at it, I can't believe it's anywhere near 60 years old.

8b0359aa-446a-49e7-921f-62887d425025.jpeg
af858f50-d9ea-4be3-ab46-6d7485ca1bd9.jpeg25bc7af9-1c7d-453b-a1fc-74bd02b41f07.jpegbba135ca-ad77-471a-99d1-bb88a72fdd74.jpegf61a59ac-c42b-4388-b8f7-01187194f1a3.jpeg
32824a76-adbb-42ac-a3a8-df7bf0dbfa3c.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • cf7b211a-43f0-4be9-93ca-ab04ded809b5.jpeg
    cf7b211a-43f0-4be9-93ca-ab04ded809b5.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 5
@EMenendez, that's a beauty. It isn't so easy to find a 1000A that clean, you were fortunate to do so. Electronic restoration is difficult enough, and dealing with a filthy, rusty, corroded chassis just makes the job so much more time consuming and costly.
 
Back
Top Bottom