• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show Me Your Sansui!

My second AU-555A arrived yesterday. I was initially concerned when it arrived in a flimsy Amazon box with a single layer of cheap bubble wrap around it. Happy to report, however, that all is well. Been listening to it all day. It's bone stock and sounds fantastic through these little PSB Alpha B1s. Maybe we'll do a full leestereo on one and leave the other as is. While the 555A provided smooth tunes all day, I think I found the positive rail voltage thieves on the Eight. Looks like R351 and TR351 in the F-1235 tone board need to go and I may as well do the whole thing while I'm at it.
1000008070.jpg1000008067.jpg
 
Not my Sansui, but my local electronics recycling place has this absolutely MASSIVE QRX-7500 on the shelf. What a specimen! I've little interest in opening the quad door (or their asking price), but man it's tempting just for the novelty. He tests everything and it works. Note the diminutive Pioneer SX-650 in its shadow.
1000008202.jpg1000008205.jpg
 
The Sansui G-4700 receiver I bought on September 3, 1979 at the Highland Appliance store in Saginaw, MI.

She still works!! Prolly needs a recap.

Original owner! There should be a special designation for original Sansui owners here. RESPECT.
 
Last edited:
Not my Sansui, but my local electronics recycling place has this absolutely MASSIVE QRX-7500 on the shelf. What a specimen! I've little interest in opening the quad door (or their asking price), but man it's tempting just for the novelty. He tests everything and it works. Note the diminutive Pioneer SX-650 in its shadow.
View attachment 3739809View attachment 3739810

Your hometown is a gem. Record shops, repair techs and vintage electronics stores. Places like that will be where we can find life after the AI/Virtual Technocracy takes over. Records sales crossed 1 billion US dollars last year. There's still hope for the real world.
 
@JimEGR, interesting to Note the customization of the cassette deck (SC-2002) and EQ (SE-7), such that aluminum vertical banding was added to the faceplates, and some knobs/levers changed out, to more closely match the definition and professional series equipment beneath it. Not such a big fan of the vivid green lighting on these, but can appreciate the effort at making the two top components more closely resemble those beneath.
 
That work on the cassette and equalizer was brilliant. Even the green lights that would typically annoy me for not being factory look good. I don't normally respect mod's like this, to perfectly good equipment, but this all looks like to could have come straight out of the Sansui lab!
 
I can understand wanting to match the two newer components to the tuner and amps, since there were no equivalent products offered in the definition or professional series. I've lamented the dearth of accessory components available to complement those two product lines before, which were otherwise superlative offerings. Have to assume there just wasn't an adequate market for doing so at the time.

I might make one other small beef with the choice of EQ slider knobs: being there is no center point mark on them, they would be slightly imprecise relative to the index marks on the face plate. But that's a small quibble, and more aesthetic than functional.
 
I just finished restoring this AU-717 according to Leestereo's tutorial. Luckily, this amp was mostly unmolested, except the previous owner did drill holes into the sections of the volume pot. Fortunately, it's still working perfectly. I just covered the holes up with a bit of grosgrain tape I had for another restoration.

20260416_203124.jpg

20260415_211733.jpg

20260415_124227.jpg

20260413_212228.jpg
 
I just finished restoring this AU-717 according to Leestereo's tutorial. Luckily, this amp was mostly unmolested, except the previous owner did drill holes into the sections of the volume pot. Fortunately, it's still working perfectly. I just covered the holes up with a bit of grosgrain tape I had for another restoration.
Maybe one day I'll be able to get mine done.
Looks Fantastic.
 
Back
Top Bottom