• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show us your cartridges and/or tonearms!

davidro

Lunatic Member
G'day all

Not sure if this has been done already but I couldn't find one so if it's a repeat the mod can kindly delete it perhaps.

As we all know, cartridge and tonearm take up big part of this vinyl hobby and we, or at least I, love their looks!

So why don't we show each other what we've got?! Here are my humble & modest parts! :banana:

f0018137_4ca827abe5f79.jpg

Ortofon

f0018137_4ca827c6be333.jpg

Hitachi PS48 tonearm
 
Register to hide this ad
Here's mine

The tonearm is a Summiko MMT on a Sota Sapphire I was lucky enough to acquire recently for less than I could have ever dreamed of. I run this Ortofon OM-30, a Denon DL-160, and a Shure 97MXe on it.
 

Attachments

  • tonearm_platter.jpg
    tonearm_platter.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,150
Perhaps the most interesting would be a recently completed DIY oak unipivot, with a Grado Platinum Reference cartridge. This was my first attempt at building a tonearm and the results are outstanding, from a listening/sound quality standpoint.

There's a continuous run of Cardas tonearm wire from cartridge to RCA jacks. The pivot is a jewel quality stainless steel with matching sapphire vee bearing. Adjustable overhang, VTA, VTF, but no antiskate installed yet. Effective length 12". Pivot point is level with surface of record on platter. Pivot point and stylus tip are at equal distance from center of tonearm wand. The counterweight is adjustable up-down in relation to the tonearm, so I can fine-tune center of gravity.

I do plan on building more DIY unipivots and refining the design.
 

Attachments

  • DIY_tonearm05-004a.jpg
    DIY_tonearm05-004a.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 2,386
  • DIY_tonearm05-006a.jpg
    DIY_tonearm05-006a.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,286
  • DIY_tonearm07-002a.jpg
    DIY_tonearm07-002a.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 2,533
  • DIY_tonearm06-017a.jpg
    DIY_tonearm06-017a.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 2,881
  • DIY_tonearm07-012a.jpg
    DIY_tonearm07-012a.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 2,741
Perhaps the most interesting would be a recently completed DIY oak unipivot, with a Grado Platinum Reference cartridge. This was my first attempt at building a tonearm and the results are outstanding, from a listening/sound quality standpoint.

There's a continuous run of Cardas tonearm wire from cartridge to RCA jacks. The pivot is a jewel quality stainless steel with matching sapphire vee bearing. Adjustable overhang, VTA, VTF, but no antiskate installed yet. Effective length 12". Pivot point is level with surface of record on platter. Pivot point and stylus tip are at equal distance from center of tonearm wand. The counterweight is adjustable up-down in relation to the tonearm, so I can fine-tune center of gravity.

I do plan on building more DIY unipivots and refining the design.

Dude, that is awesome! My brain is now abuzz with notions of attempting something of this sort, thanks to you.

Dave
 
Micro Seiki MA-505XS arm, here on my modified TD-150. Cartridges include Empire 1000 ZE/X, Empire 600LAC, Empire LTD750, Empire 888TE, Acutex 410E, Pickering TL-2S, Sumiko Andante P-76, Astatic MF-200, SoundSmith-ed DL 103 in a diy wood body. A few images...
 

Attachments

  • SoundSmith-Denon DL103 compressed.jpg
    SoundSmith-Denon DL103 compressed.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,149
  • TD150 MkII MA-505XS cropped 2.jpg
    TD150 MkII MA-505XS cropped 2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,480
  • IMG_2381.jpg
    IMG_2381.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,127
  • IMG_2225.jpg compressed.jpg
    IMG_2225.jpg compressed.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,059
Last edited:
ortofon 2m red on a thorens td 160, a match made in heaven by tiny baby angel hands:thmbsp:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6557.jpg
    IMG_6557.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 927
Last edited:
Perhaps the most interesting would be a recently completed DIY oak unipivot, with a Grado Platinum Reference cartridge. This was my first attempt at building a tonearm and the results are outstanding, from a listening/sound quality standpoint.

There's a continuous run of Cardas tonearm wire from cartridge to RCA jacks. The pivot is a jewel quality stainless steel with matching sapphire vee bearing. Adjustable overhang, VTA, VTF, but no antiskate installed yet. Effective length 12". Pivot point is level with surface of record on platter. Pivot point and stylus tip are at equal distance from center of tonearm wand. The counterweight is adjustable up-down in relation to the tonearm, so I can fine-tune center of gravity.

I do plan on building more DIY unipivots and refining the design.

Hats off to the look! :drool:
 
Syntec S220 w/Stanton 681 A

Picked up this NOS combo for $50 and I'm enjoying it on my Thorens TD-150 MkII ($10). Using an unfinished Cherry armboard for the time being.

The Syntec headshell that came with the arm (not shown) has a Shure V15 III HE on it which sounds absolutely fantastic on this combo.


IMG_3031.jpg


IMG_3030.jpg
 
That's really cool Cactuscowboy. Is it a medium mass tonearm?

Although I've got real world experience in product design and manufacturing, I lack an Engineering degree and have no formal training in physics or calculus. So a lot of this design was based on intuition and gut feeling. Getting into the process, it quickly became evident that there were many considerations: mass and distribution thereof, resonance properties of various shapes & materials used, pendulum effect, moment of inertia, center of gravity, etc.... A bit mind-boggling if one really starts thinking about.

To answer your question...

I did not calculate effective mass of the tonearm, and I'm not totally clear on how to do so. I've got a hunch it would be considered "medium" to "high" in respect to effective mass. In actual use (just over 1 week, about 80-90 LPs), the Grado Platinum sings beautifully and tracks very well. It performs far beyond my expectations and challenges any assumption that "professional design" and "cost a lot of money" are prerequisites for excellent performance in a tonearm.

The next design will also be unipivot, correcting errors made in this one and further refining performance.
 
Picked up this NOS combo for $50 and I'm enjoying it on my Thorens TD-150 MkII ($10). Using an unfinished Cherry armboard for the time being.

The Syntec headshell that came with the arm (not shown) has a Shure V15 III HE on it which sounds absolutely fantastic on this combo.

That's a hell of bargain. A lotta jealous from here :tears:
 
Perhaps the most interesting would be a recently completed DIY oak unipivot, with a Grado Platinum Reference cartridge. This was my first attempt at building a tonearm and the results are outstanding, from a listening/sound quality standpoint.

There's a continuous run of Cardas tonearm wire from cartridge to RCA jacks. The pivot is a jewel quality stainless steel with matching sapphire vee bearing. Adjustable overhang, VTA, VTF, but no antiskate installed yet. Effective length 12". Pivot point is level with surface of record on platter. Pivot point and stylus tip are at equal distance from center of tonearm wand. The counterweight is adjustable up-down in relation to the tonearm, so I can fine-tune center of gravity.

I do plan on building more DIY unipivots and refining the design.

Very cool and awesome engineering!
 
Back
Top Bottom