• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Show us your Realistic (Radio Shack) stuff

Sa-101

Here's my SA-101 that I recently found in the attic. I thought I tossed it, but found it in a box w/a VCR in it of all things. This thing ran my Moms stereo for the later half of the '70's, so I guess there's some sentimental value there.
Cracked it open for laughs and received quite a shock (NOT physically!), what's this? Film caps? Full size pots? An all metal headphone jack? Apparently RS's '70's junk is better that most stuff you find at Best Buy today.
Gave it a DeOx bath and cleaned it up, works just fine. Might replace some caps just for practice.



Here's some Rat Shack pron for ya.
 
If someone took away all my receivers and amplifiers except for my STA-95, I could still be quite happy. :)

Realistic STA-95 by Buhduh, on Flickr

i own a sta-960, nearly identical to the sta-95, the 960 is rated at 50wpc and the 95 at 45wpc, other than that, i'm not aware of any other differences, except years sold of coarse.........
 

Attachments

  • 42870993_614.jpg
    42870993_614.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 62
i own a sta-960, nearly identical to the sta-95, the 960 is rated at 50wpc and the 95 at 45wpc, other than that, i'm not aware of any other differences, except years sold of coarse.........

Wow. That's quite the list of Realistic gear in your signature:

2100d, 2080, 2290, 2280, 2270, 2500, 960, 820, 120b, 90, 65b, 65c, 250, 150

You're just missing the 2000 and a set of Mach One's ;). What are your favorite pieces?
 
FYI, there is an STA-180 on the bay right now at a giveaway price. Even with shipping, it would be a steal if it goes for the opening bid. Beware though, it looks like the right side volume slider is broken or missing.

That being said, I have one of these and it is amazing. 1972 TOL. Built like a brick s-house and the only model I've seen with this type of styling. Not sure if Hitachi or Foster made it but they did a fine job. For someone looking for a TOL Realistic, that needs a little work, that seems to be quite rare, it might be a steal.
 
Wow. That's quite the list of Realistic gear in your signature:

2100d, 2080, 2290, 2280, 2270, 2500, 960, 820, 120b, 90, 65b, 65c, 250, 150

You're just missing the 2000 and a set of Mach One's ;). What are your favorite pieces?

yep, came darn close to pulling the trigger on a nice 2000d but someone jumped on it before me, oh well, gots enough already, now lets see.........i have one set of 4024a's and one set of 4029's, two sets of mach two's, one set of the '93 version mach threes, a set of t-200's, a set of t-100's, a set of optimus 950's, not going into my bookshelfs, it think i'm o.k. with speakers.......:D............i like using all of my receivers and switch things up about every three months or so just to keep them fresh, i also have a sta-720, sta-111, two sta-110's and some of the mini amps as well.........:thmbsp:......still got my eyes open for a 2000 when the time's right........:yes:............opps, i forgot my sa-2000 amp also
 
Last edited:
I've got an STA-2290 in the basement that I bought new back in the day. One channel died and I've never fixed it. Great receiver though.

images


Stole the picture.

Bob
 
Those 2290's are bound to be one of the most underrated and overlooked Realistic receivers. I know I never really even considered one, mainly because of the digital tuner. Working on one recently changed my opinion of them. They're pretty well built, 90 or 100wpc depending on which catalog you're looking at, beefy power supply, nice layout that makes them easy to work on. The one I refurbished doesn't give up anything, sound-wise to my STA-2080. Only issue is that I think many of them have bias problems and toast their outputs.
 
Hmmm dunno how I haven't posted in this thread before.... Unless I overlooked it, but I'm always up for reposting my Realistic gear :)

My main system:
STA-2000
LAB-500
Nova 7b

32f001c1f7b6e09fb75dcb99663c98ef.jpg

d63b4cce75e7f1bbb86ccc35ad56a20a.jpg

4cbb73631c907b4a17a6f1ea60126a48.jpg


Also have:

Mach Ones 4024a (perfect drivers, horrific cabs... My "someday project")

Ton of accessories: Realistic "dust bug," Headshells, etc.

Love Realistic!

We always had Realistic gear in my house growing up, but it was always the low-end stuff.
I would drool over the catalogs and dream of the "big pieces."
Now they're mine!

Would like to add to as well...

Need a R2R to match... Any wood grained Realistic R2Rs made?
Seems I've seen at least one Teac based model!??

Ben


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
man I had a pair of those Nova 10 headphones.. without a doubt the worst sounding and most uncomfortable headphones I have ever seen in my life... I sold them on the auction site..
 
Just picked up a 12-1983 car cassette. I posted about it in TAPE. Then there's the old APM-100. Have not used it in years but now you've got me thinking. It always needed some illumination. I think I will put that on my list...

John

71075874814452e63106e2facd7ea1e5.jpg


eb73a2e178d907e1eb8900b8d8e1f3b2.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom