• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Similost's Speaker Build - Watch this space for lots of laughs.

I found the bottoms of my Barzilay cabs to be cheap particle board. The risers on them is (was) also.

Mine were water damaged, so I cut the bottoms (feet?) off with a circular saw. I'm going to add another board to the bottom as the particle board that is there doesn't look all that sturdy to me.

The 4.5 cu ft cabinet size is why I've been sticking to 12" woofers.

I will most likely add some legs to mine, and I like the bottom port idea.
Click the link in my signature to see what I did with mine and how I mounted the legs.
 
Well.. just ran the idea of building out the back of the box a little bit to increase the size by the wife.... "....then why didn't you buy drivers that would work in that size?"


WAF is a drag....

:tears:
 
ok first i have to mention that all of this is over my head..
sofar i understand that you are going to be useing a 15" lowrange and a horn right??
and if at all possible you would like to have as much airspace as possible..
well i was just wondering if you considered putting the horn in a seperate box you could stack on top?? maybe that would give you alittle more airspace for the 15"

besides that,,
i hope your project goes smoothly and it sounds great! :music:
i'l be watching :thmbsp:
 
Semi, I'm late to this thread, and Ray already gave the answer... but to reinforce it, weigh your passive on a Mettler(or any electronic scale,) and zero or "tare" the balance. Don't monkey with the tare value again.

Weigh the woofer after each weight reduction. The amount you have taken off will show as a negative value. Whack the material until you reach the desired loss.

If you don't reset the tare value, the negative reading will always be the TOTAL reduction. :thmbsp:
 
if you made the extension look like this, the addition would be inconspicuous.

simi.jpg
 
ok first i have to mention that all of this is over my head..
sofar i understand that you are going to be useing a 15" lowrange and a horn right??
and if at all possible you would like to have as much airspace as possible..
well i was just wondering if you considered putting the horn in a seperate box you could stack on top?? maybe that would give you alittle more airspace for the 15"

besides that,,
i hope your project goes smoothly and it sounds great! :music:
i'l be watching :thmbsp:

Not so much as much airspace as possible for the woofer, but rather I need about another foot and a half of box size to get the ideal tuning of the box for the woofer. My box is about 128L and ideal would be 160L.

This will work, but as I'm reading it and understanding the numbers I've been running, it does push the woofer past it's peak excursion at it's peak wattage... Not really a problem so long as I don't go jamming too much wattage into the woofer. Putting the horn on top isn't going to add enough space in the box to make it worth the effort.

Yes, this is a 2 way speaker with a horn,.. It's basically an econowave on steroids.. I'll be building a Zilch modified crossover that is typically for an Altec Model 19. I'll be crossing this over at 1200hz.
 
Semi, I'm late to this thread, and Ray already gave the answer... but to reinforce it, weigh your passive on a Mettler(or any electronic scale,) and zero or "tare" the balance. Don't monkey with the tare value again.

Weigh the woofer after each weight reduction. The amount you have taken off will show as a negative value. Whack the material until you reach the desired loss.

If you don't reset the tare value, the negative reading will always be the TOTAL reduction. :thmbsp:

Yep.. I've got all that part figured out Dave, however, the part I can't figure out is what weight am I starting out at for the mass of the piston... I can weight the whole PR, but that doesn't tell me the weight of the moving mass..
 
Very cool idea Dave.... My wife kind of nodded.. my only problem is, I'm not a wood worked and I wonder how much wood I'd have to trash to get all those angles right....

I'm thinking about trying this as is first, ported, then go from there.... Maybe next work on adding a back like you show, then also trying things with the PR's and without...
 
Contact John at AEspeakers.

I wonder if he could tell me from the materials the piston is made from.. .:scratch2: I'm sure each weight they made has to be made with different materials or thicknesses.. Sure wouldn't hurt to post in their forum asking..
 
My guess is he could get a total weight of the various PRs he offers and get you a close estimate to the model you have. Also, are there any markings on your that might identify it?
 
it looks like you are going to have a verry impressive pair of speakers once finished..
i cant wait to see the finished product.
goodluck :thmbsp:
 
No marking at all on the driver that I can find..

They used to offer (I only see their 18" PR now on the site) their 15's in 430g, 700g, 1200g, and 1400g... Any of them can be weighted up to 1800g

The only way I could weigh them is to unglue the foam surround, and the spider and lay the piston on a scale..
 
You done yet? :)

Watching this thread with great interest. I love the cabs!

LOL.. not yet.. I had to wait around to call the DMV first this morning, but I'm getting ready to head to home depot to get wood, PVC, barrier terminals, a few extra router bits I need, some screws, ply blade for the table saw.. and a bunch of other stuff...

I'm still waiting on the horn drivers to get to me, and the crossover parts. I have a feeling I should see all that Monday or Tuesday.
 
LOL.. I don't see Friday happening either... I'm not really a wood worker, so I'm sure it's gonna take me a while to get everything cut and installed.. Now if I could do all of this in steel, it would have been done already.. .

I also don't have much time in the evenings after I get home from work, so I probably won't be working on them much during the week.. I'm kind of limited to weekends...

Sorry guys, but I want them done worse than you do..
 
Back
Top Bottom