• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sir.Byrd's Push-Pull 6V6GTA tube build

Sir.Byrd

Lunatic Member
Building a tube amp for my senior project.
Here is what I have so far:
Picture3.png

Picture4.png

Picture2.png

Picture1.png

Picture5.png

Uses two pair of 6V6GTA, a pair of 6SL7GTA, and a 5Y3GT

Iron will be edcor, tubes will be GE NOS.
Wood is Poplar, 1 5/16". Blue is anodized aluminum, 1/4".
No holds barred on this project, very nice parts incoming.
 
Register to hide this ad
Neat layout, and a great senior project. The 5Y3 will definitely be stretched in this application. If you can deal with a little extra voltage, a 5V4GA would be a better choice. It will provide a delayed warm up characteristic, pull the same heater current, and handle the anticipated current draw (~ 150 ma) with ease. It will increase the B+ voltage somewhat though, but if you haven't ordered your power transformer yet, you could maybe compensate with a unit that has a slightly reduced HV winding spec.

Good luck with it!

Dave
 
I haven't ordered anything yet.
I am following a schematic that specs a 5Y3 for the power supply. This will be used as a tweeter amp in a tri-amp set up.
 
looks like an awesome project. i made paper volcanoes and potato batteries for my projects when i was in school......:no:

25watter tweeter tube amp...nice!
 
I'm still pretty green when it comes to tubes, but I'm also curious about 5Y3 here - seems like it would sag like crazy. Anyway, I enjoy your builds so... :lurk:.
 
Wow is this your first tube amp build? Looking forward to some pics, I bet it will look awsome once done!
 
A 6087 tube is an indirectly heated version of a 5Y3 tube.
It will give your B+ a 20 second delay and drop a few less volts than a 5Y3 tube also.

A 5Y3/6087 tube is only rated for 125ma output though.
A 6V6 PP stereo amp will probably require, at least, 150ma+.
A 5R4 rectifier tube will provide extra current, using the same 5V/2A filament voltage as a 5Y3/6087 rectifier tube.
BUT.....it will drop around 15 volts MORE than a 5Y3 tube.
Of course if you think your B+ will be too high to begin with, THAT is a good thing!

Good luck!
Steve
 
looks like an awesome project. i made paper volcanoes and potato batteries for my projects when i was in school......:no:

25watter tweeter tube amp...nice!

Thanks!

Looking forward to this project Will; I'm sure you'll knock it out of the park. :thmbsp:

I hope so.

I'm still pretty green when it comes to tubes, but I'm also curious about 5Y3 here - seems like it would sag like crazy. Anyway, I enjoy your builds so... :lurk:.

Thanks!

Wow is this your first tube amp build? Looking forward to some pics, I bet it will look awsome once done!

Yes, this is my first tube amp build, second amp build.

You do great work... Best of luck building it...

Thank you!
 
FWIW............................................................

I've done a ton of tube rolling in a 6SL7/6V6 SE amplifier.
While not up to RCA 6V6 black plate standards, Russian 6P6S (6V6 equivalents) are seriously GOOD for not a lot of money.

NOS Raytheon 6SL7GT tubes (both USA and Japan manufactured) generally do NOT seem to get a whole lot of respect, as reflected by the LOW prices they usual command on e-bay?
Don't let this fool you though.
They actually are quite GOOD, and NOS WWII issue Raytheon VT-229/6SL7 will rival anything produced by RCA or Sylvania.
My last NOS Raytheon VT-229/6SL7 tube ran me $15/delivered.

Steve
 
No holds barred on this project, very nice parts incoming.

Hi Will,
If no holds barred is the plan, how about some nice Magnequest or Lundahl iron? You can use something with a more exotic core material, i.e., nickel, amorphous, M3 or M4, etc., and possibly a smaller size since it won't be handling the low freqs. I had a pretty dramatic experience a couple of months ago when I replaced my Lundahl interstage trannies with the amorphous core versions. The phenomenal clarity and low level detail of the new cores was a complete shock. I thought the regular IT's were good, but these are a completely different ball game. I've never heard RC coupling sound so natural AND detailed at the same time. You could also consider a grid choke for the output tubes if IT's are too much to deal with.

Do you have a schematic yet?

Good luck with the project,
John
 
Hi Will,
If no holds barred is the plan, how about some nice Magnequest or Lundahl iron? You can use something with a more exotic core material, i.e., nickel, amorphous, M3 or M4, etc., and possibly a smaller size since it won't be handling the low freqs. I had a pretty dramatic experience a couple of months ago when I replaced my Lundahl interstage trannies with the amorphous core versions. The phenomenal clarity and low level detail of the new cores was a complete shock. I thought the regular IT's were good, but these are a completely different ball game. I've never heard RC coupling sound so natural AND detailed at the same time. You could also consider a grid choke for the output tubes if IT's are too much to deal with.

Do you have a schematic yet?

Good luck with the project,
John

Those holds are barred :D
A bit more than I have budgeted for iron. Currently I'm looking at $230 for the three transformers which is enough for me.
Need to save money for my big-ass SS amp that is coming up next.
 
If going green will win you extra points, consider salvage. Find a Magnavox and reuse the iron on your new build! Just an old newbies suggestion. Cool project!
 
I actually have a magnavox power transformer, but I'd like the transformers to match because I'm a perfectionist.
 
Neat layout, and a great senior project. The 5Y3 will definitely be stretched in this application. If you can deal with a little extra voltage, a 5V4GA would be a better choice. It will provide a delayed warm up characteristic, pull the same heater current, and handle the anticipated current draw (~ 150 ma) with ease. It will increase the B+ voltage somewhat though, but if you haven't ordered your power transformer yet, you could maybe compensate with a unit that has a slightly reduced HV winding spec.

Good luck with it!

Dave

Also, if the original power supply is significantly below 350v already (i.e, like 335v or lower) with cathode bias, a change to a 5V4 should be fine, even with the existing transformer selection. 6V6GTAs are tough little bastards. I've seen 360v+... upwards to close to 400v, on some Fender amps with 6V6s, and the tubes still bang it out for years...

This is one case where JJ tubes are a good thing. The JJ 6V6s are regularly used in these late-model 'hot-rod' Fender amps. In vintage tubes, the GE 6V6GTA is the real deal, or any tube labeled '7408'. If you have over 350v on a cathode-bias amp, or 325 in a fixed-bias, don't try to use RCAs... they don't like it much...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
350v AC (i.e, 700c CT?)?

You might want to do what I've been suggesting, to Jcricket, for his EL84 build- choke-input SS rectified supply. That will give about 305v B+. Right in there, where most Magnavox amps run their 6V6s. Put the choke where the 5Y3 is currently located on the chassis...

If it's 350v DC after the rectifier and caps, then you're fine with what you're got going on already.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
I'll have to find my schematic and get back to you.
The transformer is 700VAC CT.
But the schematic calls for exactly this, so I'm not ready to just go changing it up.
 
Back
Top Bottom