• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sir.Byrd's Push-Pull 6V6GTA tube build

700VCT, after rectification, will give close to 400v on the B+ line, without a LOT of dropping somewhere. Even with a 5R4.

That's pushing a 6V6 a little too far, IMHO. That kind of voltage is much more appropriate for 6L6s... but they would need appropriate higher output transformer wattage, and PT current, too...

EDIT: Actually, with a 5R4, it's probably fine. You'd need to use a 150 ohm 10 watt resistor in a following RC stage after the first cap (from the rectifier). That would give around 355v. That's OK, with 6V6GTAs in cathode bias.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Last edited:
Okay, have the transformer issue sorted out, will use a choke. Also, since the 6.3V winding should have been center tapped, I will wire it up with a hum pot. I don't understand everything entirely yet, but I have some local talent helping me.
I have most of the parts, and the full-size print of the aluminum plates just showed up today, photos soon!
 
Sooo many projects.......Sooo little time haha

Nice tube project going up dude! Gotta see what you have done so far next time i'm down there!
 
Okay, have the transformer issue sorted out, will use a choke. Also, since the 6.3V winding should have been center tapped, I will wire it up with a hum pot. I don't understand everything entirely yet, but I have some local talent helping me.
I have most of the parts, and the full-size print of the aluminum plates just showed up today, photos soon!

Choke-input supply? That should work. Looks like about 300v DC with a SS rectifier or low-loss tube rectifier (a.k.a 5AR4 and such). Should be a pretty stout supply.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
DSC_1711.jpg

DSC_1708.jpg
 
Our amps are going to end up being pretty similar, aren't they. I'm sure yours will look better though!
 
What was the choice for output iron? The lowest cost outputs that I could find were the Russian 6P3S. A pic of a set in PP with Hammond 6.6k iron at 360V B+.
Post more pics of your project. I love the creativity that can be expressed in glass and iron, so many ways of accomplishing the same goal! Enjoy.:thmbsp:
 

Attachments

  • keg4.jpg
    keg4.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 86
What was the choice for output iron? The lowest cost outputs that I could find were the Russian 6P3S. A pic of a set in PP with Hammond 6.6k iron at 360V B+.
Post more pics of your project. I love the creativity that can be expressed in glass and iron, so many ways of accomplishing the same goal! Enjoy.:thmbsp:

All transformers are Edcor.
 
Back
Top Bottom