• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sir.Byrd's Push-Pull 6V6GTA tube build

can I offer you some better sockets? Free!

Old stock NOS ceramic. They are the best of the best made. I think your project deserves the best.

Scott
 
Are those Soviet octal sockets? I have some very similar looking ones, but they are phenolic. Same sort of removeable / clockable mounting ring though.
 
Looking good Sir. What are you doing for the chassis?

The top plate that you see the paper template will be 1/4" anodized aluminum, which will attach to a black and green mineral-stained poplar base, with another 1/4" blue plate on the back that has holes for the IEC, fuse, RCAs and 8 binding posts. The back plate will be inset into a poplar board.
Either the top or the bottom will be removable, but not both.

Are those Soviet octal sockets? I have some very similar looking ones, but they are phenolic. Same sort of removeable / clockable mounting ring though.

No, they are Connex brand.
 
You're projects have been awsome to follow here on AK. I wish you the best of luck on this one. I personally love the look of anodized aluminum, blue!!!!! Pull down a good grade and make us proud! :thmbsp: Jerry
 
Plates coming in tomorrow.

Thinking of having the transformer bell covers brass-plated, and then hand-patina'd
 
Got the aluminum today, then got busy.
DSC_1728.jpg

Don't worry, the blue end bells will be replaced eventually.
I don't think they will be tempermanent.
DSC_1730.jpg

DSC_1731.jpg

DSC_1738.jpg

DSC_1740.jpg

DSC_1741.jpg

Getting there, still need to dado-out the back plate.
DSC_1743.jpg

DSC_1744.jpg
 
Yeah, it's a bit over 17" wide (same width as the F5) and the chassis is 4.5" high, probably about 13" deep.
 
Lookin good already. Nice iron too. I have a set of their transformers on my Magnavox 9304 and they're quite nice sounding.
 
You should leave the end-bells blue, the whole thing being "Edcore blue" sorta fits.

Where did you get the plates made? I'd like to learn CNC someday, the height of the bar for entry for home-based rigs seems to get lower every year.
 
You should leave the end-bells blue, the whole thing being "Edcore blue" sorta fits.

Where did you get the plates made? I'd like to learn CNC someday, the height of the bar for entry for home-based rigs seems to get lower every year.

It sort of fits, but it isn't perfect. I aim for perfection. I'm going to try to get the bells to match the bronze hardware I will be using, I think it will look nicer that way.

I had the plates made by someone on the side of their business, they don't want me to say who they are, but they do really nice work. It's a bit of a step up from a homebrew CNC, as far as precision goes.
 
Sharp looking!

Whats the current rating on that power transformer? 7 lbs isn't too shabby!
 
It's a bit of a step up from a homebrew CNC, as far as precision goes.


Huh? There is no 'real' precision needed in any of those parts, Will. That stuff is about as easy as it gets for a machinist. Not discrediting the source of the work, it appears they did a very fine job and all, but that's simply not complex work. Take a CAD drawing to any local machine shop and they'll whip up those parts in no time.
 
Sharp looking!

Whats the current rating on that power transformer? 7 lbs isn't too shabby!

I think the 700V CT winding is rated for 200ma

Huh? There is no 'real' precision needed in any of those parts, Will. That stuff is about as easy as it gets for a machinist. Not discrediting the source of the work, it appears they did a very fine job and all, but that's simply not complex work. Take a CAD drawing to any local machine shop and they'll whip up those parts in no time.

I've had a machinist do some work for me, and it wasn't very clean, so I've been cautious. I don't want to argue with you here, because I'm sure I'm just being irrational.
 
Back
Top Bottom