• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sir.Byrd's Push-Pull 6V6GTA tube build

Got the other transformers mounted, I'd forgotten to bring them home from the shop.
I'll have some more photos soon.
This thing is getting heavy!
 
This thing is getting heavy!

That's because you built it like a tank :D :tresbon:

On some of the first photos you show the octal-sockets with mounting-rings attached for under-chassis mounting.
You actually ended up with top-mounting.
Is there a reason for that?
Personally I prefer out-of-sight mounting but yours look OK as is.

Any thoughts on the actual 6V6 schematic?
...or on the two remaining amp's (Mid & Bass amp's)
I can't help thinking if the 'small' Treble-amp is a tank ...what's waiting? :D

rgds,

/tri-comp
 
That's because you built it like a tank :D :tresbon:

On some of the first photos you show the octal-sockets with mounting-rings attached for under-chassis mounting.
You actually ended up with top-mounting.
Is there a reason for that?
Personally I prefer out-of-sight mounting but yours look OK as is.

Unfortunately, the octal sockets only work for under chassis mounting if the plate is not so thick, the plate here is 1/4" and it is too thick to bottom mount. Was a bummer, but it's not so bad after all, if I didn't do it this way, you may have seen the raw aluminum.

Any thoughts on the actual 6V6 schematic?

Yes, I have had it selected for some time now, just never gotten around to scanning it.

...or on the two remaining amp's (Mid & Bass amp's)
I can't help thinking if the 'small' Treble-amp is a tank ...what's waiting? :D

rgds,

/tri-comp

Perhaps monoblocks. Definitely something big.

The midrange amp is already built, that's the F5.

Bass amp is going to be either class AB, or class D probably at least 200WPC.
 
Great skill, very nice work, sockets look fine mounted from above. Looks like an electrical engineer in the making. Very nice project! :yes:
 
Did some more laying out and installed some more parts.
DSC_1779.jpg

DSC_1780.jpg

DSC_1782.jpg

DSC_1788.jpg

DSC_1790.jpg

DSC_1793.jpg

DSC_1795.jpg

DSC_1797.jpg

DSC_1798.jpg
 
I don't believe there are supposed to be wires sticking through the middle of the tube sockets :)

Looks good. I kinda like the idea of the RCA inputs on the back on the same side as the speaker jack. Sort of makes sense which input feeds which set of outputs. I'm also assuming the posts are for 4,8,16 ohm taps ?
 
I don't believe there are supposed to be wires sticking through the middle of the tube sockets :)

Looks good. I kinda like the idea of the RCA inputs on the back on the same side as the speaker jack. Sort of makes sense which input feeds which set of outputs. I'm also assuming the posts are for 4,8,16 ohm taps ?

Yes, I wanted to keep a switch out of the signal path so I have individual posts for 4, 8, and 16 ohms.

Very nice Sir. Stunning woodwork.

Thanks, coming from you that means a lot!
 
I've had a machinist do some work for me, and it wasn't very clean, so I've been cautious. I don't want to argue with you here, because I'm sure I'm just being irrational.

Since they're local, you should give Front Panel Express a try sometime. They did a fantastic job on a top plate for my DCPP amplifier.

-D
 
What do you mean "clamping" Sir? I have a PP 807 chassis that needs anodized and I am going between the blue you used, red, and gold. They all look so perdddy
 
What do you mean "clamping" Sir? I have a PP 807 chassis that needs anodized and I am going between the blue you used, red, and gold. They all look so perdddy

Well, I didn't notch in the back plate, so I have to epoxy it, but the metal has a very slight bend to it lengthwise, so I have to clamp it strongly on both ends, and in the middle.
Cure time is 6 hours! Guess I won't be finishing the wiring today.
 
I like the clean look using glue to attach the back plate. Now the fun begins.

Yeah, if I had slotted it in like the top plate (top plate is not glued in, just held in by accurate cuts) it would have been recessed which I thought wouldn't have looked as nice.
 
From where did you source the ceramic terminal strips?

Gorgeous woodworking, as always :thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom