• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SL-1700 plinth material?

Decals.. Do I put on the decals, then spray on the clear or give it one coat of clear, then decals and 2nd coat of clear?:scratch2:

Having fun!:banana:

Thanks,
John.:music::D

I don't think it matters. You're applying it to paint either way. Two coats of clear over the decals shouldn't blur them or anything. Plus, it might be a good idea to just mist the deck with clear first in order to seal the decals in place. Then apply 1 or 2 finish coats.

Having vicarious fun. :banana:

John
 
Here is something I just noticed and wondered about. The arm base is painted the same color as the plinth on these NON MKII tables/ Are you going to leave it the stock color or paint that as well?

I think I will leave it the color it is for now, two tone top.. Should look different.

Thanks,
John.:music::D
 
Yuck.. this coat came out ugly, I will end up starting All over...:tears:

Should have left it alone...:scratch2: Paid $10 for the Decal paper too.. Another project gone bad..

Oh well , story of my life..

Thanks,
John.:music::D
 
Last edited:
What, runs? Orange peel? Can't see any problems in the photo.

Hang in there, John. You'll get it.

John

Had a bunch of orange peel, and a couple of runs, sanding marks too. This last coat did not work to well.

I will Sand it down and start over with a different paint maybe? Project needs to go to side for a few days. Getting ready for the Holidays. Cleaning up the apartment.

The photos did not pick up on the surface stuff.
I left it out in the hot sun to bake it a while, paint dried, have to sand down the surface imperfections when I have time.

Thanks for the support, its frustrating...

Thanks,
John.:music::D
 
Had a bunch of orange peel, and a couple of runs, sanding marks too. This last coat did not work to well.

I will Sand it down and start over with a different paint maybe? Project needs to go to side for a few days. Getting ready for the Holidays. Cleaning up the apartment.

The photos did not pick up on the surface stuff.
I left it out in the hot sun to bake it a while, paint dried, have to sand down the surface imperfections when I have time.

Thanks for the support, its frustrating...

Thanks,
John.:music::D

Aw yes the fun and frustration of repainting plinth. I know what your going through I went through it myself with my first one. second one came out so much better. hang in there and take your time, that is the one thing i learned.

Trust me it's worth the extra effort and you will be a pleased with your results.........

Good Luck.......
 
You do some great work John, don't let this set back get you down........

Thanks, I am not use to painting Aluminum, temp has to be right.

Will be sanding the surface flat and then using the clear to cover.

Just was a little down after all the work that went into this TT.

Thanks,
John.:music::D
 
Thanks, I am not use to painting Aluminum, temp has to be right.

Will be sanding the surface flat and then using the clear to cover.

Just was a little down after all the work that went into this TT.

Thanks,
John.:music::D

Thankfully the finish on my 1700 is good enough to not need painting, but i did pay quite a bit for it as its a fairly mint unit..
 
Thanks, I am not use to painting Aluminum, temp has to be right.

Will be sanding the surface flat and then using the clear to cover.

Just was a little down after all the work that went into this TT.

Thanks,
John.:music::D

Aluminum is not really easy to apply. I've found that by holding the gun back a bit further than I normally, and applying (4 or more) thin fog coats has given me the best results and the metallic is more even. Are you going to apply the lettering before you clear coat?

Looks Nice!:thmbsp:
 
I think it's better to remove the strobe prism for the paintjob.

Many thin coats work much better than too much paint at a time.
 
Thanks, I am sanding it too remove the problem areas.

I am going to remove everything before I paint again.

Thanks,
John.:music::D
 
The sanding is working nicely, 320 then 400 wet sanding, like a car paint job.

I feel better, then I will spray it with clear. Just a little extra work.:scratch2:

Thanks,
John.:music::D
 
Aluminum is not really easy to apply. I've found that by holding the gun back a bit further than I normally, and applying (4 or more) thin fog coats has given me the best results and the metallic is more even. Are you going to apply the lettering before you clear coat?

Looks Nice!:thmbsp:

I will be doing one clear then decals then a 2nd clear to cover.

Thanks,
John.:music::D
 
I am sizing the decal for printing that a fellow AKer boreas made for this project.

Thanks,
John.:music::D
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom