• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SL-1700 plinth material?

I am sizing the decal for printing that a fellow AKer boreas made for this project.

Thanks,
John.:music::D

Here are some more. Sorry I don't know how to curve them for the speed pots but if you position them above the knobs they should look okay if not "stock". You'll have to scale them, of course.
 
Last edited:
Here are some more. Sorry I don't know how to curve them for the speed pots but if you position them above the knobs they should look okay if not "stock". You'll have to scale them, of course.

Crap! Forgot one. Here's a re-do.

John
 

Attachments

  • Technics SL-1700 Decal (2).jpg
    Technics SL-1700 Decal (2).jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 39
WOW! those are GREAT! So I am good to go after I finish the sanding!

Thank you very much! I could not figure out how to make the Strobe decal??

Thanks,
John.:music::D

Well, I couldn't figure out ho to curve the speed decals and then I realized they wouldn't fit over the knobs unless they were curved.

So I figured it out.

Here they are.

And you're more than welcome!

John

[EDIT] The "45" wasn't correctly centered in the first version. It's corrected now.
 

Attachments

  • Technics SL-1700 Decal (33&45rpm).jpg
    Technics SL-1700 Decal (33&45rpm).jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
This is getting silly. I keep forgetting things that need decals. Here's the complete set (I think).

John
 

Attachments

  • Technics SL-1700 Decal Set.jpg
    Technics SL-1700 Decal Set.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
This is getting silly. I keep forgetting things that need decals. Here's the complete set (I think).

John

OK, how did you make these? They are Great! I can print up an extra sheet if you need one for yourself, once I get the sizing down right.

Thanks Again,

John.:music::D
 
OK, how did you make these?

I've got a very basic graphics program, Adobe PhotoDeluxe, which was freeware that came with a printer years ago. It's a stripped down version of an older version of PhotoShop, designed for Win98 so it barely limps along on XP and occasionally crashes. For the decal graphics I just used the text tool that's part of the program.

The curved arrows were a little trickier. I had to use an outlining tool in the program to put an outline around a circle. Then I erased most of the circle, made the points and added the numbers and symbols with the text editor.

The fonts are either freeware off the web or the windows fonts. I can't remember which. There are some pretty cool freeware fonts. I evenfound the old Pioneer font!

They are Great! I can print up an extra sheet if you need one for yourself, once I get the sizing down right.

Thanks Again,

John.:music::D

I'll have to find the 1700 first. ;) Thanks for the offer, though.

Can't wait to see what yours ends up looking like!

John
 
Last edited:
I am really interested to see how the decal business goes. I have seen decal sheets that are printed on inkjet or laser printers and then sprayed on but wonder how they look after applied and after a gloss finish. Mainly worried about wrinkles and edges showin up under the finish.

I need to redo some deck faces and a couple of Revox PR99 decks that have seen better days.
 
OK, I have to finish this in my storage Man Cave. The wife cannot take the paint smell...:scratch2:So, I am moving the TT there today. Hopefully be done before Christmas..:thmbsp:

All I have left is the finish wet sanding and the clear coat then decals then final coat!

Thanks,
John.:music::D
 
Thanks, very timely for me as I'm ramping up to paint my 1600 MK 2 -- after I change out the cables, etc. Funny, I thought the plinth on mine is some kind of synthetic nylon type stuff but I never really looked close. A scrape on the side where the paint is off seemed to reveal that but now I have to take a closer look!
I have the plinth off the base and debating whether to mask off the black/clear control bar or to remove it.
 
Had a bunch of orange peel, and a couple of runs, sanding marks too. This last coat did not work to well.

I will Sand it down and start over with a different paint maybe? Project needs to go to side for a few days. Getting ready for the Holidays. Cleaning up the apartment.

The photos did not pick up on the surface stuff.
I left it out in the hot sun to bake it a while, paint dried, have to sand down the surface imperfections when I have time.

Thanks for the support, its frustrating...

Thanks,
John.:music::D

AH yes, don't i know it, i recently did my sl1200mk2, and i had to redo it three times, every time i used a glossy paint, it wrinkled, and showed fish eye, couldn't figure it out, and it drove me nuts, so the third time around i just strip it all down to bare metal, gave it a clean with paint thinner to remove any grease or oil, wet sanded and just sprayed it flat black, DONE.

Good luck.

John.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=339084
 
Thanks, very timely for me as I'm ramping up to paint my 1600 MK 2 -- after I change out the cables, etc. Funny, I thought the plinth on mine is some kind of synthetic nylon type stuff but I never really looked close. A scrape on the side where the paint is off seemed to reveal that but now I have to take a closer look!
I have the plinth off the base and debating whether to mask off the black/clear control bar or to remove it.

Don't mess around with it remove the control strip plus as i posted before it will give you a chance to clean and polish it.
 
I am not getting this done before Christmas, I'll try New Years..LOL.

I have a Part time job now, no more free time to do all that cool stuff.

I was spoiled..

Thanks,
John.:music::D
 
I did some sanding today, coming along nicely. I have to repaint one area that sanded through to the older paint. Maybe before Easter?LOL...

Taking my time, want it to be right this time.

Thanks,
John.:music::D
 
Last edited:
I did some sanding today, coming along nicely. I have to repaint one area that sanded through to the older paint. Maybe before Easter?LOL...

Taking my time, want it to be right this time.

Thanks,
John.:music::D

:lurk::lurk:

John ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom