• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

So, I . . . Ummm . . . Bought a Patrician

Sounds like a lot of fun. I have always wanted to find some of those transcription records - recorded direct off the air - or in this case they are probably shows distributed to bases and radio stations to play for the troops. You need a big ol TT to play a 16"er.

Yep, I'm going to have a good weekend digging through all of it. The military records are definitely distributed. I'll likely start a new thread somewhere else detailing/asking about all the other stuff so I don't run afoul of the speaker forum. I'll link it here when I do.

Should have pics of the EV here this evening sometime.
 
Was this a homebuilt with his name written inside? The link doesn't say he worked for EV. I didn't know the Patrician was offered in kit form. Either way you have a cool piece of history there!
 
Was this a homebuilt with his name written inside? The link doesn't say he worked for EV. I didn't know the Patrician was offered in kit form. Either way you have a cool piece of history there!

Yes, it was a kit, and his name was inside along with the date. Very cool having the provenance now.
 
Well, I took these pictures with a potato, but here it is. It's in a dark corner at work and I took these rather hastily, so I apologize for the quality. In the process, I managed to get my camera on the square format. I also forgot to get one of the whole front with the grille off. I normally wouldn't post pictures this bad, but I promised. . . .

IMG_3367 by Jason, on Flickr

IMG_3368 by Jason, on Flickr

IMG_3375 by Jason, on Flickr

IMG_3379 by Jason, on Flickr

IMG_3378 by Jason, on Flickr

IMG_3381 by Jason, on Flickr

IMG_3373 by Jason, on Flickr

IMG_3372 by Jason, on Flickr
 
When I was a kid there was a stereo shop here in Montreal that had a 30 inch EV woofer displayed in the window.Me and my buddies would just stand there and stare at that thing,mouths hanging open,drooling.....dreaming.....Odd that I ended up playing bass...
 
Holy moly, that is beyond cool....

I'm still kind of in awe. I'll hook it up to something—I still haven't decided what, I have a few different pieces around, nothing special—and see what it does.

On top of that, my wife seems somewhat less resistant to moving it into the house. I have yet to tell her that resistance is futile. :D
 
I am gobsmacked. What a killer find. Not just the speaker but the records and tapes as well. That is like "hole up for a month and have the food delivery place on auto-dial" material. Enjoy!!!
 
I am gobsmacked. What a killer find. Not just the speaker but the records and tapes as well. That is like "hole up for a month and have the food delivery place on auto-dial" material. Enjoy!!!

Thanks. I'm still processing it. Knowing the provenance makes it even better. This is on top of a summer where I found two Fisher 400s, some JBL C56 Dorians, a kickass mid-century modern console (where one of the Fishers lives), an Empire 698, and some Paradigm Studio Monitors, a CC-570v3 center, and CC-470v3 surrounds.

I just found this in the bottom of a record tub. Looks like Jimmy might have been at Mardi Gras in '61. Kind of cool considering Pete Fountain's recent passing.

IMG_3385.JPG IMG_3386.JPG
 
Fantastic find. Great to see the local jazz tradition being preserved, in our area where jazz has often played second fiddle to traditional/bluegrass/country.
 
I feel like I'm at an archaeological dig, looking over the digger's should and all I can see is gold. Amazing.

Mark Gosdin
 
Okay, so I think I currently own the largest collection of Benny Goodman 78s in existence. Yeesh.

I have found a few gems, including a couple with Sister Rosetta Tharpe. It's a bit harder to research 78s than LPs.

I also found a folio of 78s that Jimmy recorded, including a number of his performances with various bands in the late '40s, and some recordings that just say "radio." He also pirated The Page Cavenaugh Trio's "Daddy-O."

Still just kind of scratching the surface on the 78s, but I am in a little deeper.
 
Holy crap, this is so awesome! As soon as I saw "Patrician" in the title, I knew I had to take a look!

Where to start with the awesomeness? Not just any Patrician, but one assembled personally by a known 50s Jazz musician! And all the record albums you also got alone with the deal.... this is off the charts!

Wow - you need to get that speaker home and hooked up. At 380 lbs, that's a 2 or 3 man job. That's heavier than most standard refrigerators.

Also, something else you need - a 2nd one for stereo. :)
 
Sounds like a lot of fun. Yeah there is a lot of Benny Goodman out there.

Jimmy played the clarinet, so you could see why he would gravitate to Benny.

Wow - you need to get that speaker home and hooked up. At 380 lbs, that's a 2 or 3 man job. That's heavier than most standard refrigerators.

Also, something else you need - a 2nd one for stereo. :)

I've been listening to it some at work. It is not in a corner though, so I'm still not getting the full effect. And I seriously doubt I'll ever get another one. I'm into this one for very little money. Early this year I found some sort of Williamson-Stancor mono amp, so I think I'm going to have it restored and set up a mono system that is capable of playing the 78s. I'll be happy with that.

Digging in the 78s, I have found three recorded ones that just say "Stag Party" on the label. I'll be interested in hearing what's on those.
 
Back
Top Bottom