• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

So who all on here thinks these are Cheap Speaker's?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dhanson64
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know anything about them or how they sound.
That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.








Just wanted to get in before the thread died/was closed.
 
Is there an award for "Worst Grammar and Spelling" in a thread?

I'd like to nominate this one!

banghead.gif

hi sorry for all the typos. I'm out if town an been posting from my cell. It has auto fill an I sometime s fat finger it.
 
Can someone tell us about the drivers? Are those beefy pro-style woofers or light-weight?

Real-wood cabs or good lookin' vinyl?

I doubt I'll run across these at a yard sale but you never know.

Thanks!
. hi sure. The driver's in these are very heavy duty custom hand made by Don K. with over size very large magnets and he also made/designed all his own paper cones an spider suspensions system's for the mids an woffers as well as hand made/wound all the voice coils an cross over coils. There are Zero resister's in the cross overs because all voice coils were wound by hand in house so no need for them. Only the tweeter's were off shelve EAS an Phillips. There's an old local news paper article about the line an factory. Search my thread on the dlk model 4's an you will find it. Hope this info helps. Again sorry for any typos I'm out of town an posting from my cell an batt going down.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Holy CRAP. He's asking about the speakers. Not everyone's perception on his reasoning behind the question!

If you don't have an opinion on the speakers, why are you wasting your time?!

What the #$%@ has gotten into this place?

I am actually following this thread hoping to learn more about the speakers. Instead I just get a bunch of comments from wannabe moderators.

Even if the owner of these speakers is looking for reassurance, so what? I like to own respectable gear too. I have had several pieces in the past that I absolutely loved and was curious if other people felt the same way. I would have probably folded here at AK if everyone treated me that way.

To the OP: How do they sound next to other speakers you've owned?
hi thanks for posting I appericate your honesty.
how do they sound compared to my other speaker's ? Ar9's n Jbl L200's , well I sould add the Bose 901's an dlk3's/2's Ar98lsi 78ls etc in There. Answer is with my gear I'm running the Dlk 4's are untouchable, the jbl 200's will play as loud but do not have the bass output or sound as nice as the 4's. Ar9's set up with the right power amps sound great better low bass output then the jbl200's but still fall well short of my dlk 4's they do not sound like your at a live event like my dlk4's. And the Ar9's don't play as loud or have the lower bass extension as the dlk 4's. The dlk 4 is at a whole different level all factory and completely custom hand built and for public sale. But was also built for professional applications. There rare speaker's to find but can be had if your consistently looking. They do sell quick so if you see a pair it would be wise to snag them up real quickly while there a available.:thmbsp:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
DLK was the house brand of Shack Electronics from Minneapolis, MN. As such, I don't think they were THAT expensive. Also the brand was bought out by DAK (just like DBX) was and they were/are a cut rate company.

The most important thing is, DO YOU LIKE THE SOUND? If you do that is all that matters, who cares what the cost was originally.
hi the reason why they were bought out way back then was that Don got sued over naming rights to the dlk line. He earned those rights on his own hard work deigning an building great speaker's they were getting very very popular an selling fast he couldn't build them fast enough, people got greedy and wanted his dlk lable or naming wrights or dlk. Thus when he lost the law suit in court over naming wrights he just slowly stoped building them an then started rebranded some of his line calling it domus and left all together to works on an for Janzsen Electrostatic's he had tons of patents that a lot of speaker manufacturers wanted to get there hands on thus his getting sued. He lost in court an then eventually quite making the dlk line all together and those who won the law suit were never herd from again an the dlk speakers go down in history. It's really sad when someone starts a small company builds it up from scratch and sets benchmarks in cross over an speaker design only to have it all taken away from him when he's making his mark.some people are about greed and what they can squeeze out someone when there's money to be made. Sorry I degress but just giving a little history on what went down an happened back then. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've never heard of DLK speakers, or shaack electronics? Was it a regional thing, or did they disappear for some reason?

They look interesting! I'd be interested in how they sounded. Surely someone here must have owned/heard them and have an opinion.
 
The dlk 4's were also used professionally in the disco dance Halls at the Mariott in both Chicago an Mpls Mn. As well as a lot of dance halls through out the late 70's in the upper Midwest. And yes they have heavy duty drivers in them and were very durable speaker's. Ask Midwest speaker repair they'll tell ya they rarely see any problems with them meaning blown cross overs or blown driver's. Mainly just refoaming is all that's need on these 4's.:music:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If ya like them and the way the speakers sound, it dont matter brand. Ive never really askd people what they thought about my epicure 3.0's. Cause i dont really care and they will probaably always be my mains. This comes from restoring them, working on them hearing them and messing withe placment with them. Im not keeping them cause of what anyone says. If it sounds good to you sit listen and enjoy the music.
 
I've never heard of DLK speakers, or shaack electronics? Was it a regional thing, or did they disappear for some reason?

They look interesting! I'd be interested in how they sounded. Surely someone here must have owned/heard them and have an opinion.

Schaak Electronics was a regional chain based in Minneapolis. After Radio Shack bought Allied Radio in Chicago, the government stepped in and made RS divest Allied. Their retail stores were sold to Schaak, which doubled the size of the chain. However, two years later, in the midst of a recession, Schaak filed for bankruptcy. They emerged from that and were profitable for a while, but in the mid '80s they filed for bankruptcy a second time, and went out of business.

DLK was the brainchild of Don Kliewer, a Minneapolis engineer who had worked for Telex. He designed the line for Schaak, who sold quite a few in their region of influence, but not otherwise. He later worked for a number of speaker companies, including Altec, JBL, EV and Koss.

I own a pair of Modular 1s, possibly the smallest DLKs; I think they're terrific. I don't know where the OP has seen people say they're no good - all the posts I've seen to be of the opinion that they're excellent.
 
I think the OP might not realize what trolling is, when I first visited here I didn't either. If you like the speaker and know its not a cheap speaker asking that question just to find people who jump on the hook so you can start arguing with them is what trolling means. Putting out bait to get something started.

What the OP needs to realize I have seen many people here claim they were not impressed with some of the best speakers in the world, costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. People have different taste and some speakers with less notoriety are less likely to get as much notice. Be happy if you like your speakers, many people have much worse and would love to own a pair.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom