• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

So why not an SL1200 instead of a Rega P3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depending upon the type of music you listen to and the rest of of your setup.
There are less expensive options to the Denon DL-160.
Electrocompaniet/Sonus Faber. If anything I was worried the Denon might be a bit too budget.....
 
I find the DL-160 to be a very nice cart.

As for the Rega P3 and Technics SL-1200, both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Good thing though is both sport a strong cottage industry for modifications and can be brought up quite a few levels in performance- all at once, or over time, and in smaller cash outlay increments.


Can you elaborate on your budget and listening habits?
 
I find the DL-160 to be a very nice cart.

As for the Rega P3 and Technics SL-1200, both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Good thing though is both sport a strong cottage industry for modifications and can be brought up quite a few levels in performance- all at once, or over time, and in smaller cash outlay increments.


Can you elaborate on your budget and listening habits?
Budget is 700€ music taste is broad but contains a fair swag of classical, German rock and fado.

I'll go with the Technics, but does the Denon DL_160 sound like it would be an OK choice?
 
The reason so many people recommend Regas are because Rega P3s sound better than a Tecnics SL-1200. The real weakness in the SL-1200 is the tonearm.
 
I'd go for the SL-1200/1210. I did and don't look back after two Denons D37 and 45, Project One, Thorens 280 MKIV, Thorens 160 and Dual CS621.

With the Technics you have a sturdy design, no speed issues and some ease of use which makes daily life a lot easier. You can swap the arm later if you wish. I waited 2 years before I swapped mine for a Jelco.

Other nice cartridge alternatives are the Nagaokas. At the moment I have a Pickering XV-15/625. Sumiko Pearl is an option as well but it won't have the details in the higher frequencies as the Denon 110/160 but for my taste a nicer overall sound.

Cheers

Joerg
 
Technics SL-1200 all the way. It will compete with and beat any turntable under $3000. They just plain have better specifications. It's like comparing the specs of a Technics receiver to a fancy tube amp, the Technics will win on paper every time.

The only reasons Rega's sell well is the snob appeal and fancy marketing, Roy Gandy doesn't know the first thing about designing a good sounding TT.
 
Last edited:
Don't think Music Hall or Sota are readily available here, being Germany/France, and Clearaudio is way over budget.

Had Pro-Ject before and would never consider again unless they've fixed the noise problem.

Must have fixed it as I've owned 2 Pro-Ject tables and neither had any noise. Clearaudio's entry level table shouldn't run much more than a P3 on the used market.
 
Music Hall isn't available here to my knowledge.

Not really - the more I think about it the more I think the Technics would be a good choice. The thing holding me is whether it would go well with the rest of my gear, which is an Electrocompaniet Class A amp and SF Minimas/Concertos.

That's a pretty nice setup...get the best you can afford as you have system enough to hear the differences.
 
Two folks now have referred to "snob appeal" relative to the Rega P3. I don't understand what why and what is meant by that. Would anyone who recommends the P3 over the Technics be a snob, why? They are both good tables are they not?

It appears that at least one was being facetious...not sure about the other.
 
Technics SL-1200 all the way. It will compete with and beat any turntable under $3000. They just plain have better specifications. It's like comparing the specs of a Technics receiver to a fancy tube amp, the Technics will win on paper every time.

The only reasons Rega's sell well is the snob appeal and fancy marketing, Roy Gandy doesn't know the first thing about designing a good sounding TT.
I think it does come down to a bit more than just Rega vs. Sl-1200 in way, though those are the only names that have been bandied about for the most part.

The various types of drive system do seem to my ears to impart a different flavour to the sound of the table. Direct drive tends to have the edge when it comes to speed stability when taken as a class, but there are plenty of belt and idler drive tables that have excellent specs as well. I think there are definitely some trends to the sort of sound they have though and just looking at the specs doesn't really tell you very much about that. I have tables of all three types and like them all. I'd say to use your ears before making any decisions as you might be surprised by what you hear.

As an aside: Technics receiver vs. good tube gear? Yeah, the Technics wins on paper. Apart from that it ain't no contest. I own both and you're talking about two massively different classes of SQ, specs or no specs.
 
As an aside: Technics receiver vs. good tube gear? Yeah, the Technics wins on paper. Apart from that it ain't no contest. I own both and you're talking about two massively different classes of SQ, specs or no specs.

All I can say is read the sig.:scratch2:
 
Technics SL-1200 all the way. It will compete with and beat any turntable under $3000.

I love the Technics 1200 and have regular access to two of them but, no, that's a stretch and to my ears not even remotely correct. It is what it is, a great sub $1000 turntable.


Edit: I think I might be responding to sarcasm. Hmm...
 
Last edited:
Having owned both, I could not imagine living with a SL1200 anymore. Would take the P3 anytime, without a second thought.

However, I have often thought it would be fun to try a modded SL1200. The Rega 250 arm is supposedly a killer mod for the SL1200.

dscn5298hg9.jpg
 
Technics SL-1200 all the way. It will compete with and beat any turntable under $3000. They just plain have better specifications. It's like comparing the specs of a Technics receiver to a fancy tube amp, the Technics will win on paper every time.

The only reasons Rega's sell well is the snob appeal and fancy marketing, Roy Gandy doesn't know the first thing about designing a good sounding TT.

I really think you are being far too modest on the virtues of the Technics 1200. And the snob appeal line of thought is really the only reasonable explanation for those silly Rega tables to have sold 300K + units over the years.
 
The reason so many people recommend Regas are because Rega P3s sound better than a Tecnics SL-1200. The real weakness in the SL-1200 is the tonearm.

"So many people"..... really?! :no:

In this thread alone there's far more recommendations for the Technics than the Rega. :yes: And I'll add my voice to the chorus. Technics vs. Rega? No contest. The Technics is far superior. Why don't we start by comparing specs? OOPS!... no published specs on a Rega. :scratch2: If you're tempted, please spare me the argument that specs don't matter. With years of experience in product design & manufacturing, I know better.

As for your assertion that "Rega P3s sound better than a Tecnics SL-1200", you may be correct. We all have our preferences. Some guys actually prefer turntables with audible rumble, wow & flutter, and speed stability problems. Whatever makes you happy. :music:
 
Moderator hat firmly ON

Ok, fellas. Is this going to be another topic like 'cables'?

I haven't had either make in my system, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but it seems to me that, if the 300K+ quantity is correct, then a lot of people like Rega tables. Maybe the reason the posted opinions favour Technics is that the Rega people are tired of being spoken to in the manner demonstrated by some of the Technics proponents in this thread.

So, in that vein, please keep your arguments civil, and your differing opinions focused on the gear, and not the posters.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom