• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Soldering Desoldering Station Recommendation

tinkerer

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm looking to replace my current Stahl DSDS Soldering Desoldering Station. I prefer a single unit rather than 2 separate units. The Stahl has been adequate, but parts are no longer available.
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm looking to replace my current Stahl DSDS Soldering Desoldering Station. I prefer a single unit rather than 2 separate units. The Stahl has been adequate, but parts are no longer available.
i have one on each bench. i bought extra guns but i'm screwed when the irons die. :(

i can't believe that the units and the spare guns and irons and tips disappeared out of the blue. i keep looking occasionally to see if old stock pops up.

the stahl was the only combo unit that i'd come across besides a hakko for 6x the price. i don't know that they even sell a hakko combo unit anymore.

i know nothing about this unit. i just found it. for the cost it raises eyebrows but it has semi decent reviews and amazon stands behind what they sell so it might be worth a gamble.



there are spare guns and irons available.

it's so cheap, i'm tempted to buy one just to see:naughty:
 
i have one on each bench. i bought extra guns but i'm screwed when the irons die. :(

i can't believe that the units and the spare guns and irons and tips disappeared out of the blue. i keep looking occasionally to see if old stock pops up.

the stahl was the only combo unit that i'd come across besides a hakko for 6x the price. i don't know that they even sell a hakko combo unit anymore.

i know nothing about this unit. i just found it. for the cost it raises eyebrows but it has semi decent reviews and amazon stands behind what they sell so it might be worth a gamble.



there are spare guns and irons available.

it's so cheap, i'm tempted to buy one just to see:naughty:
I don't have that model but I do have that brand. It's a combo station of soldering iron and heat gun for SMD. We also have a few at work. They seem to work well and are able to be calibrated, one of things my work requires. Parts seem cheap enough and last a while. I'm still using the same tips I got with mine. Got it in November of 2024 and use it couple of times a week.
 
I don't have that model but I do have that brand. It's a combo station of soldering iron and heat gun for SMD. We also have a few at work. They seem to work well and are able to be calibrated, one of things my work requires. Parts seem cheap enough and last a while. I'm still using the same tips I got with mine. Got it in November of 2024 and use it couple of times a week.
thanks for chiming in.
 
yes painttoad I wanted to pick up some of the filter pads and like you I found nothing available, no filters, no tips, no replacement guns etc. I've replaced my desoldering gun twice already so getting into a different brand may be a good thing anyway.

Thanks guys really appreciate the suggestions and feedback.
 
the filter pads and like you I found nothing available, no filters, no tips,
parts for the anesty zd-915 are the same.

the gun for the zd915 is the same in appearance and operation but the plug has the index in a different spot and the thermal sensors are different.
 
Kind of a timely thread.

I have a supertech 999da desoldering station. The tip is worn out and I can't find a replacement.

I'm using a metal file to keep the tip level but that isn't very sustainable.

I might just get a hakko with replaceable tips. $$$

I am also working with a machinist to see if he can make an adapter for hakko tips but that may be too expensive.

I'm watching...
 
Thanks toad. I can attach a pic too. Variable temp, glass solder waste tube, it is nice when it works.
 
Just a thought on other affordable options out there...

Acquired an adjustable Weller soldering iron and a Hakko de-soldering iron as untested and missing tips. Just a step away from dumpster rummaging:). All parts were available 10 years ago. Easy fixes and inexpensive parts at the time. Replaced tips, filters, and a vacuum pump diaphragm.
 
I have a nearly 50 year old PACE station. Parts are still pretty readily available (either NOS or aftermarket), though tracking down the correct soldering iron took a while. I still typically use my 30 year old Hakko for soldering duty.
 
I have a nearly 50 year old PACE station. Parts are still pretty readily available (either NOS or aftermarket), though tracking down the correct soldering iron took a while. I still typically use my 30 year old Hakko for soldering duty.
We have some Pace stations that we acquired when my company bought all the gear, finished goods, and wip from a company this one sort of birthed from those that fled it. I don't know about the old ones but these are heavy as hell, take forever to heat up, have terribly weak suction, and are expensive as hell. I only use it as a secondary when I need to two hand a hefty soldering/desoldering job or don't want to mess up a tip on my preferred gear.
 
We have some Pace stations that we acquired when my company bought all the gear, finished goods, and wip from a company this one sort of birthed from those that fled it. I don't know about the old ones but these are heavy as hell, take forever to heat up, have terribly weak suction, and are expensive as hell. I only use it as a secondary when I need to two hand a hefty soldering/desoldering job or don't want to mess up a tip on my preferred gear.
Sounds like they need maintenance. Poor suction is almost certainly clogged filters, which happens to any desoldering device. My ancient PACE (so old that it has standard three-prong 120V plugs on the face for the adjustable temperature irons) heats up fine and has no issues with suction as long as I make sure to clean it now and then and replace the filters when they’re clogged. It also has a foot control to engage the suction, which is lovely. It heats up at a reasonable speed, though not quite as fast as my Hakko. PACE gear is industrial, made to spend all day turned on on a workbench. It may not be quite as instant-on as more hobbyist or light commercial gear. I had one 40+ year old (at the time) heating element burn out, but I was able to find a NOS replacement quickly.

My PACE station came with a mechanical adjustable suction level, that turned a dial to place a constriction against the tubing from the pump. Like most of them, it was ripped out as an unnecessary complication long ago.
 
Sounds like they need maintenance. Poor suction is almost certainly clogged filters, which happens to any desoldering device. My ancient PACE (so old that it has standard three-prong 120V plugs on the face for the adjustable temperature irons) heats up fine and has no issues with suction as long as I make sure to clean it now and then and replace the filters when they’re clogged. It also has a foot control to engage the suction, which is lovely. It heats up at a reasonable speed, though not quite as fast as my Hakko. PACE gear is industrial, made to spend all day turned on on a workbench. It may not be quite as instant-on as more hobbyist or light commercial gear. I had one 40+ year old (at the time) heating element burn out, but I was able to find a NOS replacement quickly.

My PACE station came with a mechanical adjustable suction level, that turned a dial to place a constriction against the tubing from the pump. Like most of them, it was ripped out as an unnecessary complication long ago.
Nope, not maintenance. When we got them, I thought they would be great, so I put an order in for new filters, tips, the works. Still has terrible suction and takes forever to heat up. Pace model MBT 250. At my previous job at Harman, we had Oki and Metcal. Boy, I loved those. Instant heat and suction for days. Of course, the sucker used a compressed air hook up.
 
I re-homed my company's PACE De-soldering station when they relocated, otherwise it would have went into the trash. Unfortunately I never got around to using it at home as I acquired a Hakko 808 for cheap at a estate sale. Been using the 808 every since.
 
Nope, not maintenance. When we got them, I thought they would be great, so I put an order in for new filters, tips, the works. Still has terrible suction and takes forever to heat up. Pace model MBT 250. At my previous job at Harman, we had Oki and Metcal. Boy, I loved those. Instant heat and suction for days. Of course, the sucker used a compressed air hook up.
Everything wears out at some point, I guess.
 
Everything wears out at some point, I guess.
Of course, although there were maybe a dozen of these and most people have gone back to whatever they were originally using and they were put back into the tool closet as backups.

I'm sure that they do have some good models available, these just weren't it. Once the iron heats up, it is fine. Otherwise, meh.
 
Back
Top Bottom