• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

songs for your funeral

First, it would be "Take Me Out to the Ball Game." That is one I've always said I want played. My boys should know it, because it was their lullaby for their early years.

Warren Zevon did a good job of coming to grips with mortality, and from that body of work, I would select, "My Ride's Here."

Another, because it as always been a favorite, and because I would want people to recognize joy in the occasion, would be Beethoven's "Ode to Joy."

I wouldn't want to steal someone else's stroke of genius, but I got a big kick out of the selection for funeral music in the opening of the movie, The Big Chill, the Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want." I guess I might give the funeral attendees a grin with "That'll Be the Day."

A final thought would be some Dixieland Jazz, because the jazz folks knew how to throw a funeral.

Regards,

D-Ray
 
I'm thinking on the way in the parlor DEVO - It's a Beautiful World, and on the way out ICP - **** the World.. Then plant me face down so the world can kiss my....
 
How about some Dylan - "Knocking on Heaven's Door."

One from Frank Black - "I'm Not Dead, I'm in Pittsburgh."

Blind Faith - "Can't Find My Way Home."

Regards,

D-Ray
 
Last edited:
My wife is 100% in favor of Van Morrison "Into The Mystic" at hers. Me? Probably have someone set up a vintage rig & drop the needle on "Aja".

This thread brings rise to the question...who gets the gear? I figure each of the 3 boys will get a vintage system...but who do I curse with a couple thousand albums and several thousand 45s?
 
I've already given Mrs. Manning the list;

Solace, by Scott Joplin as in intro.
How Great Thou Art,
I Will, the Beatles song version by Allison Krause,
and at the end, I Saw the Light by Hank Williams Sr.
 
Hallelujah / John Cale
Hold On/ Sam and Dave
Dust in the Wind/ Kansas
Epitaph/ King Crimson
And When I Die/ Blood Sweat and Tears
 
Grreat topic....been working on what I want read as a memorial instead of having someone else to it.....the one time you have all your friends and relatives in one spot and have their attention too.

This will likely be one of them though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdPb4b-J1oM

and this one too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6odbBrBqgdE

Next question though.....what stereo would you have them listen to? Your own setup?
 
Last edited:
HTML:
Next question though.....what stereo would you have them listen to? Your own setup?
will never happen as my wife and I have different ideas about death, but ideally, would be outdoors if nice, maybe my sons house. My main system.
After being forced to sit and listen to my 5 songs, no preaching - have a buffet with a playlist of mine playing as background music.
Magnepans for the 5
the hpm-150 for the backgorund music
 
so many to choose from...

here are a couple of my choices:

Who wants to live forever - Queen (great tear jerk-er)

Macarena - Los del Río (my last opportunity to either piss people off, or make them laugh)
 
"Moonlight Mile" - The Rolling Stones

"I Know It's Over" - The Smiths

"I Want More" - Suicidal Tendencies

to name a few:)
 
For me:
"In My Time of Dying":tears:
Perhaps both Blind Willie Johnson's version and Led Zep's version.
Check 'em out. Good stuff
 
Hard choice but for sure,
Knocking on heavens door - bob dylan
wish you were here and great gig in the sky - pink floyd
All things must pass and art of dying- george harrison
and perhaps end it with kinda blue?
 
I have not really decided on mine, but my wife has told me repeatedly she wants Spirit In The Sky by Norman Greenbaum.
 
Back
Top Bottom