• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

songs for your funeral

Radiohead - Exit Music (For A Film)
And on my gravestone, from the same song:
"Wake from your sleep, the drying of your tears, today we escape."
The relevant people know this and I will come back to make sure it's done! :thmbsp::banana:
 
All Bollywood tunes. No sad songs, damnit!

Or depending on my mood when I am dead: Caspar Brotzmann only....
 
Ralph Stanly ~ "O" Death


Moody Blues ~ 22,000 Days


Levon Helm ~ When I Go Away


for starters ...



Barney
 
Last edited:
Thats Easy. The Beatles - "A Day In The Life" :music:

Now as for the wake, my place-my gear I will have an open reel tape with instructions to play both sides. After that, play whatever makes you feel good.

Don't know who to give my gear to though......
 
Great thread and yes I have given this some thought.

Start with Lowell George's "Twenty Million Things"
Various hymns like "the Old Rugged Cross" because my grandma would like that and I don't want her to be pissed when I see her
Finish with Tom Waits, "Whistlin' Past the Graveyard"
 
We played a little Hank Williams and Bob Wills for my Mama. She was probably dancing at the time.:yes:

Regards,

D-Ray
 
"Angel Band" and "I'll Fly Away" by Ralph Stanley, then "Spirit in the Sky" by Norman Greenbaum, just to cheer 'em up a little. Although I always thought it would be kinda funny to play "Celebrate" by Rare Earth, remind everyone that they're still above ground and to enjoy life. Plus, I love irony.
 
A couple of tunes come to mind...

Two sad Russian folk tunes:
The Song of the Volga Boatman
Svidanye


A very s-l-o-w, funereal funeral-dirge type rendition of The Battle Hymn of the Republic.

Some others already suggested that I would seriously consider:
Dvorak's Second Symphony
Hallelujah (Written by Leonard Cohen, but I'd want a different performance of it).
Knockin' on Heaven's Door (not sure whose version)

Some more offbeat possibilities:
Fouret's Pavanne
Some appropriately sad Indian raga
Some appropriately sad Japanese traditional music (Koto, Samisen, Flute...)

Halfway through, after bringing everyone down with the sad, mournful stuff (just so someone might be tempted to shed a tear for me... :D), I'd switch over and gradually bring things back up to more lively, upbeat and optimistic-sounding stuff, as the party got started.... Haven't picked any of those songs yet, though!

I think a three-day funeral would be appropriate. One day of mourning (well, the surviving folks could cut that to a half-day), then two days of celebration before everyone staggers/crawls home for a couple days of recovery.

:D


In reality, I'll be lucky if five people show up for my funeral. Or even two... if I even have a funeral! :dunno: :tears:
 
Man that Ralph Stanley song is creepy. People would probably freak out if you played that. Great song though. I would probably play a horrible joke on my loved ones by playing:
Life is **** - The Dead Milkmen
 
Back
Top Bottom