• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony Speakers in Local CL

JohnInICT

ROCK N ROLL!
Subscriber
Does anyone recognize these? They are in local CL and look kind of cool. Are they any good?
 

Attachments

  • Sony Speakers.jpg
    Sony Speakers.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 116
Register to hide this ad
square drivers... that's unusual.

From the photo, it sort of looks like an in-wall speaker... or infinite baffle.
 

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2170391&postcount=25

I don't know anything about these speakers personally, but I've heard good things about them. I've also heard that when they need to be refoamed, you've got problems.

However, I saw these online...

http://matelectronics.com/prestashop/en/41-speaker-accessories?p=2

I asked on AK if they would work for the Sony folk who need square surrounds, but no one ever answered me as I recall.

So bottom line, I dunno. I'd buy a pair if I had the chance, probably, just to see what the fuss is about. I'm not otherwise inclined to buy Sony speakers, but the square drivers look kind of cool.
 
Those look to be one of the less desirable of the APM line, one of the APM-xxx models. The one and two digit models had much better drivers, especially the woofers which in the TOL speakers had four separate voice coils each of which was connected to a corner of the square "cone". Some like the APM-77's are very desirable and rarely available although the issue of replacement surrounds is a big problem even if they can be found.

I have a pair of APM-22's which are two way speakers kind of at the low end of the high end of APM's. Their woofers only have one VC but utilize a frame connected to the VC that is connected to the back of the radiating surface at four points. Because of a design issue with the woofer, Sony crossed over to the tweeter at a lower point than reason would dictate causing the square tweeters to get fried at an alarming rate and making it difficult to find a pair with working tweeters unless it is a later variant with a conventional cone tweeter.

They certainly are a novelty at any rate.
 
Last edited:
They are low quality speakers that were part of a TV system in the 80s that Sony put together. The cabinet walls are thin and the speakers are light in weight. I'd stay away.

My dad bought the TV system that's why I know.
 
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2170391&postcount=25

I don't know anything about these speakers personally, but I've heard good things about them. I've also heard that when they need to be refoamed, you've got problems.

However, I saw these online...

http://matelectronics.com/prestashop/en/41-speaker-accessories?p=2

I asked on AK if they would work for the Sony folk who need square surrounds, but no one ever answered me as I recall.

So bottom line, I dunno. I'd buy a pair if I had the chance, probably, just to see what the fuss is about. I'm not otherwise inclined to buy Sony speakers, but the square drivers look kind of cool.

These speakers used cloth surrounds.
 
They are APM-690, and yes, from a cheapish rack system, and use cloth surrounds. To repeat more of what was said, the good APMs have shorter model numbers, have multiple motors for the woofers, and generally just look more expensive.
 
These speakers used cloth surrounds.

That seems odd, given that people were complaining the surrounds were rotting and looking for replacements. But hey, whatever. I don't own them. I just saw the surrounds, said "hey would these work for you guys?" and didn't get an answer. Not my problem, I tried to help.
 
There are no square surrounds at your link anyway?

For your comparison, a variety of very different APM woofers:

apm-8(1).JPG


apm-77w(3).JPG


apm-66es(2).JPG


389745848_GwaWE-L.jpg
 
That seems odd, given that people were complaining the surrounds were rotting and looking for replacements. But hey, whatever. I don't own them. I just saw the surrounds, said "hey would these work for you guys?" and didn't get an answer. Not my problem, I tried to help.

It's good to have folks like you here on the boards who are always helpful. I would have thought the same too if I had never owned a set myself! :D
 
btw, the reason the cheap later APM got rubberized cloth surrounds and some of the TOTL ones got thin foam is probably that the conventional motor and sub-cone of the cheap ones wouldn't be able to hold itself centered without a stiff surround, whereas the TOTL versions with special motors don't even need the surround for alignment.
 
Not one of Sony's best APM speakers by any stretch. Single magnet on the woofer. Stamped frame. Thin-walled cabinets. The single digit APM's and the ES series of APM's are the only APM's worth considering.
 
Back
Top Bottom