• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speaker Rattle

Hi All,
Still skittish about DIY-ing them despite viewing various videos on the technique. Not sure I'll center it correctly, and don't even know if there is another, underlying issue going on with them (hope not). Still going to think about this option.
I called some local places to get prices if I bring my speakers to them and costs went as high as $185 EACH SPEAKER to $160 for both (this at a place that local retailers recommended). Also called Simply Speakers and Springfield Speakers, and left a msg. for Human Speakers. Simply = $75 to re-foam each speaker to have new(?) Bose W-810 for $59.95 each installed. And Springfield = abt. $40 to re-foam each. Btw, Paul at Spring was super nice. I would happily do this myself if I had a knowledgeable friend to "hold my hand" to correct any mistakes, but I don't, so I have to give it a lot more thought.
Thanks again.

The most expensive, real option is to buy new replacement woofers. Human Speakers sells them for $63 each, plus shipping. Paying any more than that is ridiculous. Putting any other woofer in their place will ruin the EPI sound. The original woofers are special.

The least expensive option is to buy a pair of EPI 100 that were recently refoamed, commonly available from $80 and up depending upon condition and if vinyl or wood veneer. I paid $100 for my pair of M100 that was refoamed and with wood veneer. Just make sure the woofers are original. All EPI/Epicure models that used the 8" woofer have interchangeable woofers. You can pull the woofers out and switch them between cabinets. Then you can sell the pair with the woofers needing refoaming and likely make most of your money back.

DIY is another inexpensive option: refoam them yourself. You can buy a kit for about $20 to $35 for both woofers. If you are reasonably handy with tools and willing to try, watch YouTube videos on refoaming. It is not difficult. If you use a tone (I use a tone generator phone app connected to my stereo) to center the voice coil, there is little risk. Even if you botch it up, a skilled technician should be able to still repair the woofers or you can buy replacements, either new from Human Speakers or used from ebay.
 
My EPI 100 speakers, which I've had since '81 or '82, produce a rattling sound (mostly when bass is coming through) regardless if I'm listening to the radio, playing CDs or vinyl. They are located on top of bookshelves and the bass dial is actually set to around 2-1/2.

Any ideas on easy fixes (for someone who didn't excel in h.s. physics) or what causes this?

As always, thanks!
I only read this first post but anyway.

If the foam surrounds are not rotted and bad, rotate the driver 180 degrees. Old speakers can sag, and then your voice coil starts to touch the magnet giving off a rattle. Flipping them will use the weight of the cone to center the voice coil again.
 
Back
Top Bottom