• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speaker Shootout

Tomorrow's plan:

Work in the morning - wait for dealer to call - drive like a maniac - pickup - drive like a maniac - pickup kitty litter - drive like a maniac - pickup wirecutter - drive like a maniac - unload - disappear for a day or two
 
Patience . . . patience. No traffic incidents.
If it's going to be Traffic, it should be The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys.
 
Yesterday...

It went exactly as I had planned. My busy morning couldn't move fast enough, then flew down to the dealer to pick up the speakers. On the way back, cat litter and wirestripper were acquired with maniacal driving in between.

If you have never had standmounts and are planning to get a pair, don't do what i did, which is to wait until the last minute to assemble the stands. They took forever to build and prep, especially with my brand new speakers begging me to be opened!

Also, don't use bare wire. They take too long to be stripped and twisted. :D

Anyways, I finally took the speakers out of the box. The packaging is almost exactly like that of Harbeth's. As soon as I broke the seal I could smell the varnish which once again reminded me of the Harbeth's I had. In fact, the cabinetry is almost identical if not the same. This time, I KNOW I'm going to enjoy it.

Proac's logo on the speaker grille has changed and moved to the bottom center. I'm totally digging this new look. I started to wonder if some improvements have been made to the inside of the speaker with this change.

I set up my amplifier that had been sitting in the box for almost a year. For now, the only source I have is an iPod with an iStreamer. It served me well for a brief period of time as I was constantly on the move. I fire up whatever I see and go!

Next: First Impressions
 
Hi newworld,

Don't feel bad about using an iPod/iStreamer as a source........., I've been using an iPad mini/iStreamer for over a year now, and being a vinyl diehard - I can say that I'm enjoying the sound none the least - I've seen many of my friends/associates going in the same direction, so you aren't alone.

And welcome to the world of ProAc, as I've owned over 4 different variants of their little Tablette model since 1986 ( minus the larger cabinet of the 2000 series, as I could all to easily heard the cabinet resonance points ) as well as the original Response One 'S' and ended with the Response One 'SC' model, I can say in all honesty that while each sounded extremely nice via Naim Gear ( Nait 2 or NAC-72/NAP-140 ) it once they're heard through tubes that one finally hears what they're truly capable of, something the better dealers out there would've mentioned to a customer before hand.

So, I'm still watching and awaiting that said first impression - but to appreciate them for what they are - not aren't?, at some point introduce them to tubes. All in all, I believe that you've made a great investment by using your ears/senses and find your sound/path as opposed to being sidetracked by what others would've you believe were ones only options - as if their choices were cased into stone and the only route worthy of pursuit.

Happy listening.

Peace,
:yes:_oh

Yesterday...

It went exactly as I had planned. My busy morning couldn't move fast enough, then flew down to the dealer to pick up the speakers. On the way back, cat litter and wirestripper were acquired with maniacal driving in between.

If you have never had standmounts and are planning to get a pair, don't do what i did, which is to wait until the last minute to assemble the stands. They took forever to build and prep, especially with my brand new speakers begging me to be opened!

Also, don't use bare wire. They take too long to be stripped and twisted. :D

Anyways, I finally took the speakers out of the box. The packaging is almost exactly like that of Harbeth's. As soon as I broke the seal I could smell the varnish which once again reminded me of the Harbeth's I had. In fact, the cabinetry is almost identical if not the same. This time, I KNOW I'm going to enjoy it.

Proac's logo on the speaker grille has changed and moved to the bottom center. I'm totally digging this new look. I started to wonder if some improvements have been made to the inside of the speaker with this change.

I set up my amplifier that had been sitting in the box for almost a year. For now, the only source I have is an iPod with an iStreamer. It served me well for a brief period of time as I was constantly on the move. I fire up whatever I see and go!

Next: First Impressions
 
Back
Top Bottom