• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speaker Shootout

Nice. How do they compare against your darling 805D?

For me the Blade's were much more subtly engaging to listen to. The 805D's are...how should I say...more blatant? Very attention grabbing, because they throw every detail at you and more. The Blade's are just as detailed, but so complete and organized. It really is a realistic picture. Warm or bright doesn't describe it. That's for Blade wanna-be's.
 
Speakers that don't call attention to themselves are always the best choice for music lovers.

That underwhelming yet cohesive quality that just keeps improving with repeated listenings is a trait of the very best of the breed.

They don't fly out of the shops, but once they leave the showroom, they rarely leave the homes of discerning listeners.
There are many among the British speakers that do this so well.
Some folks carefully tend their 30 or 40 or 50 year old speakers of these breeds.

Hear hear. No money will be spent on flavor of the month in this household.
 
For me the Blade's were much more subtly engaging to listen to. The 805D's are...how should I say...more blatant? Very attention grabbing, because they throw every detail at you and more. The Blade's are just as detailed, but so complete and organized. It really is a realistic picture. Warm or bright doesn't describe it. That's for Blade wanna-be's.

I suspect that's owing largely to the diamond tweeters, like my Tiny Dancers.

Yes these bring about some attention grabbing details. But another way of saying it is that the tweeters realise the sound of the instruments itself as opposed to the the sound of the instruments coloured by more conventional tweeters.

I can't say for the 805Ds but the Tiny Dancers do not sound fatiguing and you're a little puzzled about that because you expected the diamond tweeters would sound rather hot in the upper notes. Depending on how they're implemented, they would just do what good Hi-Fi gear is supposed to - sound natural and real.
 
I suspect that's owing largely to the diamond tweeters, like my Tiny Dancers.

Yes these bring about some attention grabbing details. But another way of saying it is that the tweeters realise the sound of the instruments itself as opposed to the the sound of the instruments coloured by more conventional tweeters.

I can't say for the 805Ds but the Tiny Dancers do not sound fatiguing and you're a little puzzled about that because you expected the diamond tweeters would sound rather hot in the upper notes. Depending on how they're implemented, they would just do what good Hi-Fi gear is supposed to - sound natural and real.
The 805D's were not fatiguing at all. It was part of a very interesting experience that gave me an idea of what transparency should be. How often does one get to go back and forth between the recording room and the performance? :yes:
 
Brother I dare say the transparency of those 805Ds would melt you if they were being fed by some nice SET...
 
Then I say, in another life time, because that's gonna take one expensive SET amp (and a whole lot of expensive tubes!).

Okay they're expensive by the AK (and my) standard. But I don't believe a good SET has to be horrendously expensive unless you want to get into the realm of Kondo Audio Note, Lamm etc.

The technology is nothing new. It's been there for time immemorial by the audio standard. What you want is quality parts & output transformers, neat innards (which requires skill & expertise) and helpful local support. Good tubes are surprisingly reasonable and widely available especially if you go secondhand.

Morale of the story - do get those 805Ds you only live once! :D:smoke:
 
Blade-runner

So I was hoping to try some of the R series speakers from Kef. I got it and a whole lot more! Just like the Magicos at a different dealer, these were just sitting there begging me to test-drive. I really appreciate the generosity of these dealers.

Kef R300 - These are markedly different sounding from the famous LS50. They do have more bass extension, but it's not controlled. This kind of pungeant bass lends itself a darker character. Mid and treble are still clean and detailed, but get obscured when pushed hard. One thing I have to say though, when listening to opera, ALL of the Kef speakers auditioned so far have excelled at locking onto that voice while the singer is running from mic to mic behind the orchestra that is going nuts. My conclusion is that they are exceptional at focusing and complexity which is a huge plus.

Kef Blade - First impression. Earthly beauty. Contrary to their extreme styling the unadorned sound doesn't overwhelm you. Instead, the naturalness makes you wonder if the sound is really coming out of those sculptures. I now understand that tonality is about faithfulness to the source. What you are reproducing is the recording, not the instruments. In my case, I'm recreating digital recordings that do not capture the live instruments well. This is bloody difficult. The Blade's reproduce faithfully, then. They stay true to the source. Whether that sounds natural to you or not, is entirely up to you. Show me yours and I will show you mine. Funny how the R300 tries to sound bigger with boomy bass. It's like looking at a blowfish expand itself. The Blades can only chuckle at such immaturity.

Amplifier - Parasound Pre, YBA Power

Opera!? You said Opera? Dang!
 
Speakers that don't call attention to themselves are always the best choice for music lovers.

That underwhelming yet cohesive quality that just keeps improving with repeated listenings is a trait of the very best of the breed.

They don't fly out of the shops, but once they leave the showroom, they rarely leave the homes of discerning listeners.
There are many among the British speakers that do this so well.
Some folks carefully tend their 30 or 40 or 50 year old speakers of these breeds.

I've yet to hear Audio Notes and I've yet to hear Devores (which I know are not British), but I have high expectations.

Well you would do good to add the Canton Vento and Reference series to your list because they are in that class of doing it all right....no hi-fi sounding, but referenced refinement...musical all the way. Hardly every see them in resale....very hard to find State side, and they do all music in a righteous way.
 
Brother I dare say the transparency of those 805Ds would melt you if they were being fed by some nice SET...

And I'd have to agree 100%...Put that speaker on some quality tubes or say a very nice modern McIntosh or even a nice SS amp like a Pass Labs amp....add some nice reference cables that will pass all the goodness and allow you to hear your gear without adding any false treble or bass and you'd be in bliss. Its all about the quality of synergism. The goal for us all is to move into refinement.
 
Last edited:
Maybe I wasn't obvious enough, but I'm totally kidding! I really appreciate your input. This is what it's about.

Devore dealer is a few hours away, but maybe it's worth a visit. Thanks!

Okay then, well in said case, I shall continue to monitor ( pun intended ) your process, and wish you all the best on your quest. Because we all no matter how experienced can use an extra ear/insight occasionally.

Onwards and Outwards then, eh?.

Regards,
O_o scar
 
Well you would do good to add the Canton Vento and Reference series to your list because they are in that class of doing it all right....no hi-fi sounding, but referenced refinement...musical all the way. Hardly every see them in resale....very hard to find State side, and they do all music in a righteous way.
Yeah, I'm gonna have to do some research and locate some of these speakers. Actually, you are giving me an idea. I shall cross the English Channel, trample over France, and venture into Germany. Audio Physic and Elac, perhaps? I have a feeling I will come up empty, but I can't stop now. I'm on a mission.
 
Last edited:
Okay then, well in said case, I shall continue to monitor ( pun intended ) your process, and wish you all the best on your quest. Because we all no matter how experienced can use an extra ear/insight occasionally.

Onwards and Outwards then, eh?.

Regards,
O_o scar
Right on!
 
Blade-runner

So I was hoping to try some of the R series speakers from Kef. I got it and a whole lot more! Just like the Magicos at a different dealer, these were just sitting there begging me to test-drive. I really appreciate the generosity of these dealers.

Kef R300 - These are markedly different sounding from the famous LS50. They do have more bass extension, but it's not controlled. This kind of pungeant bass lends itself a darker character. Mid and treble are still clean and detailed, but get obscured when pushed hard. One thing I have to say though, when listening to opera, ALL of the Kef speakers auditioned so far have excelled at locking onto that voice while the singer is running from mic to mic behind the orchestra that is going nuts. My conclusion is that they are exceptional at focusing and complexity which is a huge plus.

Kef Blade - First impression. Earthly beauty. Contrary to their extreme styling the unadorned sound doesn't overwhelm you. Instead, the naturalness makes you wonder if the sound is really coming out of those sculptures. I now understand that tonality is about faithfulness to the source. What you are reproducing is the recording, not the instruments. In my case, I'm recreating digital recordings that do not capture the live instruments well. This is bloody difficult. The Blade's reproduce faithfully, then. They stay true to the source. Whether that sounds natural to you or not, is entirely up to you. Show me yours and I will show you mine. Funny how the R300 tries to sound bigger with boomy bass. It's like looking at a blowfish expand itself. The Blades can only chuckle at such immaturity.

Amplifier - Parasound Pre, YBA Power

Summed up my listening to the R300/LS50. I really wanted to like the 300's as i could get close to the LS50 but with bass. Didn't turn out that way. Very nice speaker, and I think I could live with either one. I like the slightly darker character, but things got a little sloppy with more hectic music.
Ended up with another KEF product that I'm picking up today, hopefully I made the right choice.
:thmbsp:
 
Yeah, I'm gonna have to do some research and locate some of these speakers. Actually, you are giving me an idea. I shall cross the English Channel, trample over France, and venture into Germany. Audio Physic and Elac, perhaps? I have a feeling I will come up empty, but I can't stop now. I'm on a mission.

Elac is a great German speaker! But you'd have to get the right amp with them. The tweeters on those bad boys need to be tamed just a bit. But with the right amp, you'd have a clear transparent accurate presentation.
 
Synergism...is that a word?

Oh yeah, get out your dictionary...the serious music listeners/lovers while building a kit, seeks this out to the best of their ability. Most guys who are looking for it, will switch gear in and out until they find it.
 
Byron,
I wasn't bypassing French, German, Italian, Canadian or even American speakers. There are those from every country that can do it.
It's just that a cohesive sound seems to have been a design goal of the BBC reference monitor crowd very early on.
 
Summed up my listening to the R300/LS50. I really wanted to like the 300's as i could get close to the LS50 but with bass. Didn't turn out that way. Very nice speaker, and I think I could live with either one. I like the slightly darker character, but things got a little sloppy with more hectic music.
Ended up with another KEF product that I'm picking up today, hopefully I made the right choice.
:thmbsp:

And which one would that be? Please keep us posted!
 
Byron,
I wasn't bypassing French, German, Italian, Canadian or even American speakers. There are those from every country that can do it.
It's just that a cohesive sound seems to have been a design goal of the BBC reference monitor crowd very early on.

Oh..np Don...I feel ya.
 
Back
Top Bottom