• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speaker Shootout

Damn, I have never auditioned the MAGICO'S. Note to self: add a Magico audition to bucket list.
 
A day of rest

Are you enjoying this thread so far? Any guesses as to what I might end up with? Any suggestions?
 
I have heard the Magicos and was not impressed with them at all. I found them lacking in depth and imaging. I felt there were better speakers out there for the money. This was also with a Magico rep actually demoing the speakers.

wow....hard to believe that setup was correct. I would expect better. Two of my listens were with setups by reps, but one time, I listened to the bookshelf model in situ in a shop. Still sounded scary good to me.
 
wow....hard to believe that setup was correct. I would expect better. Two of my listens were with setups by reps, but one time, I listened to the bookshelf model in situ in a shop. Still sounded scary good to me.

The Magico speakers are excellent.
 
Rest is important.
I like where you're going.
I'm just emerging from years of child-rearing requiring me to be at home most of the time. Now I can get out more, but not too much yet. At least the last of the kids is old enough to stay home alone now.
So, I'll be trying to go to more shops and people's homes for listening moving forward.

The fact that you've been able to demo to this level is impressive. It's also good to know when to walk away. Sometimes it's only with distance that proper judgement becomes clear.
The only thing I know at this point is that I have no idea what you'll end up with.
 
Rest is important.
I like where you're going.
I'm just emerging from years of child-rearing requiring me to be at home most of the time. Now I can get out more, but not too much yet. At least the last of the kids is old enough to stay home alone now.
So, I'll be trying to go to more shops and people's homes for listening moving forward.

The fact that you've been able to demo to this level is impressive. It's also good to know when to walk away. Sometimes it's only with distance that proper judgement becomes clear.
The only thing I know at this point is that I have no idea what you'll end up with.
This has been a year-long search. Actually, I almost don't want to make a purchase whatever it might be. It's just been such a fun process. I don't want it to end!
 
I have heard the Magicos and was not impressed with them at all. I found them lacking in depth and imaging. I felt there were better speakers out there for the money. This was also with a Magico rep actually demoing the speakers.

The set you heard almost certainly was not set up correctly.

Most folks love the Magicos... even those with very high end rigs that aren't looking to upgrade.

Having said that, I was never as impressed with the early Wilsons as many folks were... sort of an overly vivid detail thing going on... as if you were listening with X-ray ears, but that's not what Magico is going for at all.
 
Damn, I have never auditioned the MAGICO'S. Note to self: add a Magico audition to bucket list.
There's a place here in Indy called Audio Solutions that sells them. Not sure if they have any in stock now but they had 3 different pair on their floor not too long ago. Absolutely gorgeous looking speakers, IMO. Didn't get to hear them though as someone was demoing a pair of Sonus Fabers.
 
The set you heard almost certainly was not set up correctly.

Most folks love the Magicos... even those with very high end rigs that aren't looking to upgrade.

Having said that, I was never as impressed with the early Wilsons as many folks were... sort of an overly vivid detail thing going on... as if you were listening with X-ray ears, but that's not what Magico is going for at all.

I haven't heard the Magico speakers yet. I suspect that they're excellent, as I remember Alon from the old "Bass List" and have a high opinion of his ability. All my friends (that have heard them) have had good things to say about the Magicos.
As for the Wilson's, I've heard quite a few and have never been all that impressed with their sound!

Best Regards,
TerryO
 
Not all B&W's are built the same

Following the recommendations by my recording engineer friends, I was more than intrigued by the wide selection of offerings by Bowers and Wilkins. Maybe my expectations were too high...

B&W 683 - First ran through the NAD 375BEE amplifier, I thought something was broken. I couldn't stand it for another minute. I ask for a different amplifier. This time Peachtree Nova. Better, but the characters remain the same. Dark and tizzy at the same time. I really don't have much to say about these.

B&W CM10 - This is probably the largest and the most luxurious of the speakers auditioned so far (not including Magnepan and Magico). I wish I could say it's a trickle down from the Diamond series. Instead, it was more of the same from the 600 series, but less dark and less tizzy. Makes sense? I would like to hear these speakers again with some Rotel Pre-Power. Pass for now.

Amplifier - It's becoming more and more apparent to me what amplifiers are built for real power and what is just plain gimmicky.
 
Last edited:
Not all B&W's are built the same

Following the recommendations by my recording engineer friends, I was more than intrigued by the wide selection of offerings by Bowers and Wilkins. Maybe my expectations were too high...

B&W 683 - First ran through the NAD 375BEE amplifier, I thought something was broken. I couldn't stand it for another minute. I ask for a different amplifier. This time Peachtree Nova. Better, but the characters remain the same. Dark and tizzy at the same time. I really don't have much to say about these.

B&W CM10 - This is probably the largest and the most luxurious of the speakers auditioned so far (not including Magnepan and Magico). I wish I could say it's a trickle down from the Diamond series. Instead, it was more of the same from the 600 series, but less dark and less tizzy. Makes sense? I would like to hear these speakers again with some Rotel Pre-Power. Pass for now.

Amplifier - It's becoming more and more apparent to me what amplifiers are built for real power and what is just plain gimmicky.

This is a great writeup.

There is a vast difference between the B&W 8xx series and the rest of the range. Indeed, the 68x sound bad to my ears too.

Re the ProAcs, if your budget affords it, I always wanted to audition the D28 Response floorstanders.
The Studio 140 MkII and the Musical Fidelity M3i was one of the best combinations I heard when I was auditioning.

I can give my 2c from the Spendor A series, and specifically the A6: for jazz, female vocals, chamber music, they are wonderful, with a lush mid range. For rock music, it is too laid back for my tastes (I remember listening to the "The Trooper" from the "Piece of Mind" Iron Maiden CD and thinking that I had never heard it so slow before :D ).

Another brand that I was looking into and you might also want to consider:

ATC and more specifically their new version of their SCM40 floorstander.
I listened to it with a Benchmark DAC2 and FLAC files, and it was sublime.
But it is a monitor speaker, and needs decent amplification to show its teeth. It has a midrange to die for though (IMO).

Keep listening and sharing :thmbsp:
 
This is a great writeup.

There is a vast difference between the B&W 8xx series and the rest of the range. Indeed, the 68x sound bad to my ears too.

Re the ProAcs, if your budget affords it, I always wanted to audition the D28 Response floorstanders.
The Studio 140 MkII and the Musical Fidelity M3i was one of the best combinations I heard when I was auditioning.

I can give my 2c from the Spendor A series, and specifically the A6: for jazz, female vocals, chamber music, they are wonderful, with a lush mid range. For rock music, it is too laid back for my tastes (I remember listening to the "The Trooper" from the "Piece of Mind" Iron Maiden CD and thinking that I had never heard it so slow before :D ).

Another brand that I was looking into and you might also want to consider:

ATC and more specifically their new version of their SCM40 floorstander.
I listened to it with a Benchmark DAC2 and FLAC files, and it was sublime.
But it is a monitor speaker, and needs decent amplification to show its teeth. It has a midrange to die for though (IMO).

Keep listening and sharing :thmbsp:

Thanks, I was starting to think people weren't reading this thread.

Isn't the ATC SCM40 a floorstanding speaker? Those are definitely out of my budget as well as the Proac D28. Actually, I've heard them in the previous version and they were amazing. SCM11 and D18 seem to fit the bill but it's not possible to audition them. Have you heard those?
 
Last edited:
The SCM40 is indeed a floorstanding speaker.
Haven't heard any of the Response series unfortunately.
From ATC, I have also heard the SCM19, which is lower sensitivity than the SCM40.
Both are stable loads though.

What is your budget btw?
 
one would think, indeed......having never spent any time at shows to know the format, I can only(once again) note the WIDE variance in opinion about what sounds 'good' and 'right' to each individual. Every time I read a thread and someone says to the poster 'you have to listen for yourself', I find myself nodding to the screen and muttering, 'yup'......
 
The SCM40 is indeed a floorstanding speaker.
Haven't heard any of the Response series unfortunately.
From ATC, I have also heard the SCM19, which is lower sensitivity than the SCM40.
Both are stable loads though.

What is your budget btw?

My budget is $3500, but I'm in no rush to use all of it.
 
Back
Top Bottom