• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speaker Shootout

That's a pretty bold statement. I am setting here listening to a vinyl nothing special copy(no 180 gram, no MFSL, etc) of the Beatles "Abby Road" on my B&W speakers and it sounds pretty good this morning. :yes:

Perhaps it's because those PM1's are a pretty damn good speaker.:thmbsp:
 
Your Abbey Roads record was not recorded with B&W speakers - B&W has been in their studios since 1988. Back in the 60s it was more likely they were using Tannoy or Wharfedale or Rogers.

I have not heard the 2009 remasters which may be quite good - but seem to have mixed reviews on sound quality. There is arguably only so much that could be done with them.

This is not the fault of speakers - just said when B&W advertise it they are trying to take credit for the sound - and as I noted - that also means they run the risk of taking the blame. It's a marketing gimmick to associate their brand name with the Beatles - a famous recording studio entirely because the Beatles recorded there. That's what well marketed companies do - they associate something famous with their product - Nike has famous basketball players - B&W wants people to think of the Beatles - Or Star Wars. It's clever and I bet it works - or they would not be doing it.

But there isn't a recording from Abbey Road that stacks up as an elite recording in the way there are elite recordings from ISO Mike, Chesky, Opus 3, Reference Recordings, High Endition, etc produce. Abbey Roads isn't famous for superior recordings - it's famous because the Beatles recorded there. Probably looked up whichever was closest to them and cheapest.
 
Brother to brother

I wanted to audition some Spendor floorstanders, but it's not gonna happen...instead, how about some Proacs? I was mostly interested in the D2 and remember pestering you knowledgeable people with questions about the Proac's in general. Paying it forward...

Studio 140 mk2 - How come no one recommended these to me before? I start playing some music, orchestral, chamber, instrumental, opera, jazz vocal...I can't stop. I even get to Norah Jones. I can see her face, but her face is a little dry. She needs some lotion...no, the speakers need a different amplifier. Not a fan of Simaudio Neo something. Rega Brio-R is pinch-hitting. It hits a single and steals THIRD! Wow! What? Wait a minute! I thought the Rega sounded colored through the Dynaudio's? Whatever, now I understand what synergy means. I go back in order with my music. Fun.

Response D2 - I've heard these way before. I had a blind faith in Harbeth back then. I refused to like anything else and went with Harbeth and look where I am now. I'm definitely not a man of faith. My god...(no pun intended)...these are unbelievable. Is this...texture? I can feeeeel the sound. Not the Best Buy subwoofer kind of feel, but the feeeeeel of instruments and people. I can touch them. How is this possible? I'm so excited. Never heard anything like this before. No, it's not perfect. the Studio's do bass better. So even and defined. Outstanding. Not so much with the D2's. As the bass goes lower, there's a point when it becomes fuzzy. The Harbeth C7es3 was the worst at this. The Studio's draw a paint, the D2's sculpt. With the Studio's can SEE things. But the D2's make you want to reach out and TOUCH the sound. Choice of compromises...

Amplifier - Simaudio Neo and Rega Brio-R for the 140mk2's. Best Simaudio money can buy for the D2's.
 
Last edited:
I owned ProAc Studio series speakers and didn't like them. Kinda goes to show you how much preference plays in to these things. They are a nicely built speaker though. Voiced with tubes so the folks at ProAc told me.
 
I owned ProAc Studio series speakers and didn't like them. Kinda goes to show you how much preference plays in to these things. They are a nicely built speaker though. Voiced with tubes so the folks at ProAc told me.

I'm guessing you had the previous 140's or 110's? I remember those...I didn't like them either.
 
Your Abbey Roads record was not recorded with B&W speakers - B&W has been in their studios since 1988. Back in the 60s it was more likely they were using Tannoy or Wharfedale or Rogers.

I have not heard the 2009 remasters which may be quite good - but seem to have mixed reviews on sound quality. There is arguably only so much that could be done with them.

This is not the fault of speakers - just said when B&W advertise it they are trying to take credit for the sound - and as I noted - that also means they run the risk of taking the blame. It's a marketing gimmick to associate their brand name with the Beatles - a famous recording studio entirely because the Beatles recorded there. That's what well marketed companies do - they associate something famous with their product - Nike has famous basketball players - B&W wants people to think of the Beatles - Or Star Wars. It's clever and I bet it works - or they would not be doing it.

But there isn't a recording from Abbey Road that stacks up as an elite recording in the way there are elite recordings from ISO Mike, Chesky, Opus 3, Reference Recordings, High Endition, etc produce. Abbey Roads isn't famous for superior recordings - it's famous because the Beatles recorded there. Probably looked up whichever was closest to them and cheapest.


I was just teasing. :D. I know that B&W speakers were not in use at the time that the Beatles were recording at Abby Roads. You are always a wealth of information in your posts. I was just waiting for what you would come back with? :thmbsp: Now back to newworld's search for new speakers.
 
Too bad you can't try the Spendor floorstanders.
Being a Spendor fan, though I keep an open mind, lest I become like you were with Harbeths, and that kool-aid does taste good while you're drinking it :beer:, I am really impressed with what they've done with their new to them approach of moving from lossy boxes to inert towers with rear porting.
The ones I've heard have mini-monitor magic on built-in stands.
 
I owned ProAc Studio series speakers and didn't like them. Kinda goes to show you how much preference plays in to these things. .

Ain't that the truth, sold my Response D1's which were very transparent and dry with very little bass and I'm finding my Dynaudio's much more textured and satisfying musically. Only thing the D1's wanted to make me reach out and touch was the off button.

:scratch2:
 
Last edited:
Too bad you can't try the Spendor floorstanders.
Being a Spendor fan, though I keep an open mind, lest I become like you were with Harbeths, and that kool-aid does taste good while you're drinking it :beer:, I am really impressed with what they've done with their new to them approach of moving from lossy boxes to inert towers with rear porting.
The ones I've heard have mini-monitor magic on built-in stands.

Yeah, it's too bad. Spendor was another victim of my Harbeth past. It would've been really great if I could listen to the A5's, but the dealer didn't seem to think much of the floorstanding lineup to keep them in stock. And I will be the last one to buy anything blind, force myself to really like it, and follow every thread about the speakers to either praise or condemn the poster's comments. :)
 
Last edited:
Ain't that the truth, sold my Response D1's which were very transparent and dry with very little bass and I'm finding my Dynaudio's much more textured and satisfying musically. Only thing the D1's wanted to make me reach out and touch was the off button.

:scratch2:

Response D1 review coming up.

Spektre, I remember you trying to help me with my Proac questions a long ago. Thanks for that. If I remember correctly, I had an impression that you already didn't like the D1's, but you still recently bought them and sold them. What made you want to go ahead with the purchase in the first place?
 
Last edited:
Response D1 review coming up.

Spektre, I remember you trying to help me with my Proac questions a long ago. Thanks for that. If I remember correctly, I had an impression that you already didn't like the D1's, but you still recently bought them and sold them. What made you want to go ahead with the purchase in the first place?

I heard them at the dealers and they sounded great hooked up to an LFD amp but it was a completely different system and room to mine. When I got them home they just didn't gel with either the system or amp which surprised me, they were the first loudspeaker I've had a problem with like that, I never got them close to sounding what I'd heard.
 
I heard them at the dealers and they sounded great hooked up to an LFD amp but it was a completely different system and room to mine. When I got them home they just didn't gel with either the system or amp which surprised me, they were the first loudspeaker I've had a problem with like that, I never got them close to sounding what I'd heard.

I hear ya. Even after extensive listening and eliminating all other variables, it's still a risk.
 
Reality check

I started to realize that my audition list was comprised primarily of standmounts. How did this happen? I listen to so much orchestral music. Why haven't I come across more floorstanders? Maybe people believe that within the same price range standmounts offer better value for money. Maybe people don't normally listen to the kind of music that requires such large forces. Maybe people really don't have any space.

Dynaudio Excite X34 - Entry level floorstanders for Dynaudio. For me, however, it's the only floorstander I could afford from Dynaudio. Ditto for the Proac Studio 140 mk2. The X34 has the same kind of sound as heard in its little brother, X14. Wholesome and punchy. But I'm getting a more complete picture of the music this time. Less squeezing in the middle and more detail in the lower parts. Still not entirely natural, but nice and smooth. I start to think that McIntosh is not the ideal match for Dynaudio. I can imagine using a really clean solid state amplifier to bring out the best. I like it.

Magico S5 - That's right, guys. Completely unattainable and unfair, but they were just sitting in the same room, all hooked up and ready to go. What was I supposed to do? Just walk outta there? Therefore, this is not a comparison. But it will end up as one. Incredible dynamics and detail without fatigue come to mind. Imaging and separation are given. No need to worry about this and that. Absolutely black background. Verdi's Requiem becomes a real concert hall experience without all that coughing. I just would like to get a little closer. Like I said, it's not a comparison, but the Dynaudio X34 did pretty well considering the obvious. :D

Amplifier: McIntosh Pre-Power for Dynaudio, Ayre Pre-Power for Magico. Second time I've heard Ayre. Really nice.
 
Last edited:
Magico's even though large are beautiful in an understated way, I could easily live with these aesthetically rather than say Wilson's.
 
Every Magico I've heard has impressed me . . . to the point where they set the reference standard for comparison. Those tweeters take some time to break in though. I was less impressed when hearing a freshly installed, unripened, pair.
I've never heard them in a home setting though, only at the dealer's.
 
Every Magico I've heard has impressed me . . . to the point where they set the reference standard for comparison.


same view here.....not that I wouldn't be dead for suggesting to the wife that we get $80,000 plus speakers, but everything I've heard from the Magico line(from the minis on up) has been scary-good, even compared to other outrageously priced speakers.
 
Back
Top Bottom