• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SPEC-1, SPEC-3 or C-21

I currently have a C-21 serving a SPEC 4 and M-22. Would either a SPEC1 or 3 be an improvement over the C-21? If so which is the better, SPEC 1 or SPEC 3?
 
Register to hide this ad
The C-21 is designed with a minimalist attitude...KISS rule applied. The Spec 1 is the opposite approach, everything + the kitchen sink.

In that regard, I'd have to say that the C-21 has the potential edge...minimal signal path.
 
If you had\have a phono cartridge up to the task then the C21 would hold an edge in vinyl. Looking at other inputs again if your sources are up to it along with your speakers and ears the edge goes to the C21.

IMHO we are talking apples and oranges since the C21 is limited in scope whereas the Spec 1 will make coffee for you in the morning.....both were heavy hitters in their day.

Here are the numbers:

C21 Specifications:

Frequency response
Phono section was 20 to 20,000 Hz +/- 0.2dB
Aux1 was 10 to 100,000 Hz +0 dB, -0.2 dB
Aux2 was 3 to 300,000 Hz +0 dB, -1.0dB
Total harmonic distortion was 0.01%


Spec 1 Specifications:

Frequency Response
Phono section was 30 to 15,000 Hz +/- 0.2dB
Aux 1 and 2 was 10 to 70,000 Hz. +0/-0.5dB
Total harmonic distortion was 0.03% at 2V output
 
It depends where the music is coming from. Reel-to-Reel, Cassette or CD, DAT ?

When I listen to music from my RT-909 with HPM-1100 Speakers, I am happy, my SPEC-1 has tone controls, filters ....
Things my C-21 doesn´t have.
But a CD gives best sound on my C-21 + M25 :yes:

SPEC-3 has a thinner frontplate, no phones jack :scratch2: I didn´t like that preamp so much, I prefer SPEC-1 :music:
 
I personally only have experiance with the C-21 but find it an outstanding Preamp for my TT and CD changer
 
Back
Top Bottom