• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Splicing RCA cables on Technics SL-1200mkiI (Quartz Lock?!?!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the above. I can't understand how it could have caused the speed problems.
 
Something else happen while doing the repairs on the table, Tonearm interconnects have nothing to do with the tables speed function and are completely independent from table/motor functions.
 
If I'm not mistaken, the signal path should be separate and completely isolated from the rest of the TT,

And that's totally correct...

so without haste I began disassembling my TT

So you did a lot more than just clipping the ends of the RCA jacks and using wire nuts to attach new clipped ends

So, since I had gone as far as I had on the prepping of the TT, and I had every intent to complete the job.....I was at a stand still because it was 10 pm at night and I had to wait until the mornong to pick up the solder

Can anyone guess what I ended up doing next?

Don't know but it sounds like you got in over your head acting in hast and being ill prepared.

Real quick...

Even the first two words in your OP are moving way to fast...

I'd rather have something done right than really quick.

Your tonearm interconnects have nothing to do with speed issues, and you can even change the arm on the table to another brand, with another set of interconnects do you really think that will change the table functions.
 
Having popped open more than a few TTs and having cobbed more than a few RCA cables over the years, I can see how possibly you could pick up hum, or static. But why that would have any effect on the pitch is eluding me. The theory behind the schematics is most often beyond my pay grade, although I can use them to trace issues a lot. I do know that Technics pitch uses a feedback from the platter to correct itself via resistance adjustment, so someone with a good handle on the thing would have to look at the schematic and figure out why the splicing would get in the mix. My pigeon electronics thinks resistance on the wiring is maybe something.



Excellent comment.....
Exactly what I had been hoping to get...

The pitch acting the way it had when the RCA cables had momentarily been joined by splice was for a lack of better words....bizarre
And that's totally correct...



So you did a lot more than just clipping the ends of the RCA jacks and using wire nuts to attach new clipped ends





Don't know but it sounds like you got in over your head acting in hast and being ill prepared.



Even the first two words in your OP are moving way to fast...

I'd rather have something done right than really quick.

Your tonearm interconnects have nothing to do with speed issues, and you can even change the arm on the table to another brand, with another set of interconnects do you really think that will change the table functions.

"So youdid a lot more than just clipping the ends of the RCA jacks and using wire nuts to attachnew clipped ends"

What is this statement even based upon..??


"Don't know but it sounds like you got in over your headacting in hast and being ill prepared."

-Ummm....errr....Huh?-

Ok then.....

Is it not necessary to disassemble the bottom plate in order to gain access to the pcb where the cables are to be de-soldered for swapping in a new set of cables?

Did I not explain why the repair had been put on hold until the next morning because of needing the correct solder?

Was it not clear that the only reason for experimenting with the splice method was due to being unable to complete the repair that night because of, again...not having the correct solder??? And since i already had the TT on the bench for the purpose of removing the cables anyway....clipping the cables back and experimenting with a splice for the time being....are you REALLY going to paint me as being a incompetent mess who got in over their head because I experimented with a temporary fix after having the project brought to a hault?

Did you not read my post stating that the TT has been up and running for over a month now? Can you guess what might have happened for my TT to make a full recovery after I so foolishly dove in head first which comfirmed that im not even fit to screw a light bulb in?

Well, get a load of this sportsfan..
The very next morning after starting the repair the previous night... I drove down to radio shack because I experience what some would call "telekinetic power" which allowed me to see into the future ..where I learned about Radio Shacks policy to operate during normal business hours.... then bam...got the solder...bam...got home....bam...got perfect solder flow over all 4 leads and even internally grounded it...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Do you smoke crack? Meth? both?

I wasn't even going to reply to this thread because your action to others in it.

You RCA IC have nothing to do with speed issues, if you think they do I would suggest you put down the soldering iron and have your equipment service by a tech.

Good By
 
Maybe this is a case of mistaking correlation for causation.

Or perhaps your comment had been built upon a logicall fallacy where you've presented an argument from ignorance.

Please read through each and every comment and you should have no difficulty finding the land mine you had built your claim upon.
 
Do you smoke crack? Meth? both?

I wasn't even going to reply to this thread because your action to others in it.

You RCA IC have nothing to do with speed issues, if you think they do I would suggest you put down the soldering iron and have your equipment service by a tech.

Good By

Are you asking me because you need some?
 
I don't completely understand ground loop current, but could there be some level of current traveling to the turntable due to the quality of the shielding? My limited understanding is that this will only cause some noise over longer runs of rca cables, but could it be magnified to interfere with some of the turntable electronics?

I throw this out only because I was looking at a long rca run, and I was advised to make alterations to run balanced cables.
 
...
I throw this out only because I was looking at a long rca run, and I was advised to make alterations to run balanced cables.

At the risk of a distraction, albeit necessary ;) , it depends on what sort of signal you're running and how long is "long".
 
Hi,

For sure to avoid ground loops the turntable will be grounded via the tonearm cables,
or a separate ground wire if it has one fitted. Poor grounding can effect electronics.

rgds, sreten.
 
This is proving nothing to anyone other than some AK members especially the OP are way to serious with the attitude. Thread Closed!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom