• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Spotting audio gear in the movies, TV, etc.

new entry: boogie nights. on netflix currently, had it on last night for grins while working. piles of stuff! check out the stereo store 'buck' was working in, he had an extra 4 quads per channel.

sidebar: yesterday netflix reps came to the antique store to buy stuff (229 items!) for mindhunter, which apparently is filmed in pittsburgh. they got one of my GE AMFM radios I restored. so I get the sales report and email the owner...do you got a tag number for me? cuz I have a couple DOZEN GE AMFM radios from tube sets to solid state cubes to handhelds etc... I think they took one of the cubes I did...we shall see. I wanna see the episode!
 
new entry: boogie nights. on netflix currently, had it on last night for grins while working. piles of stuff! check out the stereo store 'buck' was working in, he had an extra 4 quads per channel.

sidebar: yesterday netflix reps came to the antique store to buy stuff (229 items!) for mindhunter, which apparently is filmed in pittsburgh. they got one of my GE AMFM radios I restored. so I get the sales report and email the owner...do you got a tag number for me? cuz I have a couple DOZEN GE AMFM radios from tube sets to solid state cubes to handhelds etc... I think they took one of the cubes I did...we shall see. I wanna see the episode!

I just started watching Mindhunter and it's pretty awesome. It's set in the 70's and is very different from what I thought. It is NOT the same tired, old FBI-chasing-serial-killers story.
 
In the ECM Records documentary Sounds and Silence: Travels with Manfred Eicher, the video shows Eicher listening via a system in his office. There is actually a thread here on AK where members tried to figure out the equipment he is using.

upload_2018-3-2_12-40-26.png.

upload_2018-3-2_12-41-20.png
 
I'm guessing Harman Kardon gear with Meridian speakers?

Yes that is HK 700 series components. EQ7 equalizer and 440xm cassette. Don't know what the CDP is. See my previous post, he should have gone for the 775 mono amps in my opinion :) if I knew what the speakers were I've forgotten.
 
Watching an above average rom com, "Amanda & Jack Go Glamping", and there is an unusual turntable changer in their trailer that they listen to.
 
I just started watching Mindhunter and it's pretty awesome. It's set in the 70's and is very different from what I thought. It is NOT the same tired, old FBI-chasing-serial-killers story.
I got my first R2R because of how goddamn ASMR the intro to Mindhunter is with the TC-510-2. Just turns my brain to jelly. (and makes me jelly!)

So gear porn...:bowdown:
ilya-bolotin-recorder6.jpg

vinAd76SonyTC5102Ad.jpg
 
Actually, almost everyone in a new movie under 40 has an audio system......its their I Phone and ear buds because that's how they listen....so the stereos are seen mostly in the jogging scenes..
 
Last edited:
Here is a stereo I spotted just now while I was watching the new season of Marvels Jessica Jones from Netflix.
Only have seen the one speaker so far, along with a turntable, cassette deck and what looks like a receiver.

IAWpnuQ.jpg


Anybody have a clue what those speakers and components are?
They seem familiar to me.
 
Seems odd that no one has mentioned House. So cool that SOTA was a sponsor, and House rocking out with vinyl in his office, too.
 
Whoever directed this Geico ad is really in love with these JBL speakers, and features them in almost every shot. I don't know JBL that well; what model are they?


jbl_one.jpg

jbl_two.jpg

jbl_three.jpg


jbl_four.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom