• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Super Chorus inspired project.

Gigantic

A big, big love
It has begun… so far, I have a pair of passives, a pair of Eminence Delta Pro 12A, universal crossovers and these lovely bits of jewelry, courtesy of @Daveintn :
F4EADD0B-8DAE-42E2-8809-6DAD052E7EFD.jpeg
I have a pair of K510 clones arriving tomorrow and a pair of PRV Audio D2200PH drivers sitting in my shopping cart. Next month, I’ll have some Baltic birch delivered and we’ll be underway!

the speakers will be inspired by PWK’s venerable Fortes, but ultimately, will share almost zero parts in common.
 
Register to hide this ad
Can’t do that.

CG2cux_6Rcw
 
How many LITERS will your box be?
I haven’t even started modeling it yet. Hopefully I’ll make some progress in getting windows installed on one of my MacBooks this weekend and can model it properly without leaning on your generosity too much. Intuitively, I’d think bigger than the forte, but not bigger than a chorus, but I won’t know until I do some some sims, but I’ll use 170 liters as my starting point and work from there
 
Last edited:
Given any thought to making it wide enough to fit the 18x10 mid horn just in case?
The thought has crossed my mind. Will do some modeling on that. In theory, I could make it so the motor board is expandable and removable; I would only need to change the side panels to expand it, as well as rout for a bigger horn and woofer. Will weigh the cost of that, as well as model it once I get my laptop sorted
 
How many LITERS will your box be that you CAN build?
When I was set on doing a Super Chorus, I could build a box that was between 290 liters and 460 liters or between 10-16 sf. I’m assuming that the smaller woofer will push much less air and less volume will be required for the enclosure.
 
very preliminary investigations suggest that if I used a cabinet that displaced a volume equivalent to a Cornwall, roughly 8.29 sf or 246.4 liters, I could extend down to 33.39HZ with a port; presumably, the passive will allow at least that, if not another Hz. That would make the cabinet 19-1/2" wide (if I left room to expand to the bigger horn at a later date) by 15.5 deep, by 48" high. this could conceivably add a 2nd 12", 8 Ohm woofer making a 4Ohm load, or a 15" driver at a later date, as well as the bigger ZXPC horn. Once I get windows installed and have the WinISD up and running, I hope to have a clearer idea of what's possible. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time with Bootcamp & installing the OS on a partition.

Screen Shot 2023-04-14 at 9.22.50 AM.png
 
The mid horns arrived at the shop today. I don’t have the K604’s for direct comparison, but next to the cutout in the kp362 motor board, they’re quite a bit bigger, albeit shorter, too.
9910BE7E-F05C-4995-A6D7-0897A5973479.jpeg
 
When I was set on doing a Super Chorus, I could build a box that was between 290 liters and 460 liters or between 10-16 sf. I’m assuming that the smaller woofer will push much less air and less volume will be required for the enclosure.

When I layout PCB's or want accurate small increments, I'll use millimeters, but barring that, my brain is wired for Imperial units. I remember back in grade school (mid 70's) my teachers taught us that in the near future the world would embrace the metric system so that is why we were learning it. Of course in any scientific setting, you are going to use the metric system, but for everyday life (USA at least) the Imperial units are holding on!
 
When I layout PCB's or want accurate small increments, I'll use millimeters, but barring that, my brain is wired for Imperial units. I remember back in grade school (mid 70's) my teachers taught us that in the near future the world would embrace the metric system so that is why we were learning it. Of course in any scientific setting, you are going to use the metric system, but for everyday life (USA at least) the Imperial units are holding on!

I believe what killed the metric system in the US is that the construction material is all dimensioned in inches which would have made the move to metic interesting.
Thanks to GM I had to buy metric tools (sockets, wrenches) because they mixed imperial and metric (bolts, nuts) on their cars.

Gigantic, do you have "regular" Forte's to compare your new Super Forte's to? Looking forward to your build!
 
When I layout PCB's or want accurate small increments, I'll use millimeters, but barring that, my brain is wired for Imperial units. I remember back in grade school (mid 70's) my teachers taught us that in the near future the world would embrace the metric system so that is why we were learning it. Of course in any scientific setting, you are going to use the metric system, but for everyday life (USA at least) the Imperial units are holding on!
I'm more or less the same age use imperial measurements at work, almost exclusively, (I'm a construction manager and carpenter) but I've also been using metric measurements since the late 80's, when I was an artillery fire direction specialist in the Army. once you get your head around the difference in scale, it's so much easier than imperial, if only because it's decimal, rather than fractional. Still, I only have one metric tape measure and almost never have it handy, so everything is measured in imperial and converted... It would be so much simpler if our country would simply get in line with the rest of the entire world.
 
Gigantic, do you have "regular" Forte's to compare your new Super Forte's to? Looking forward to your build!

I don't. I only have my franken-forte/superheresy monstrosities (see the end of my "not pretty" thread. Aside from the K604 mid horns, they don't really have anything in common with an actual Forte, other than nearly identical cabinet displacement and approximate (if not better) driver values: sMAHL/ B&C DE120 tweeter, K604/ PRV Audio D270PH-S mids and Eminence Delta Pro 12A, which is roughly equivalent to the K-42-K or the Eminence 12640 and a 15" Dayton Audio Passive. in theory, they should be similar, if not better than a Forte II.
 
Last edited:
Thanks to GM I had to buy metric tools (sockets, wrenches) because they mixed imperial and metric (bolts, nuts) on their cars.
Working on cars with mixed imperial and metric fasteners is the bane of my existence. Ugh. The next level is light farm equipment which has fasteners with left-handed threads. Sometimes you can't tell if you are loosening or tightening a bolt or nut if threads are not exposed!
 
Working on cars with mixed imperial and metric fasteners is the bane of my existence. Ugh. The next level is light farm equipment which has fasteners with left-handed threads. Sometimes you can't tell if you are loosening or tightening a bolt or nut if threads are not exposed!
Fortunately, I haven't encountered that much. The last American car I owned, a Jeep Liberty CRD, had an Italian VM-Motori diesel and everything that I had to deal with was metric. All of my motorcycles have either been German or Japanese- BMW Sport Tourers; my race bikes were mainly Kawasaki or Suzuki, although at one point, I'd aspired to race my BMW R1100S. I never did, although I turned countless laps on it as a trackday coaching mule. I currently drive a Mini Cooper Clubman, which raises eyebrows on jobsites, but is a hoot to drive and easy to park in my inner city Philadelphia neighborhood. I might have a set of SAE Sockets and wrenches in a toolbox somewhere, but I rarely, if ever use them.
 
The mid horns arrived at the shop today. I don’t have the K604’s for direct comparison, but next to the cutout in the kp362 motor board, they’re quite a bit bigger, albeit shorter, too.
View attachment 2859286


Considering the shorter length of this horn, will I have phasing issues with the current configuration of my network, that has the mid and tweeter inverted from the woofer, or am I just overthinking it?
 
Back
Top Bottom