• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Super Chorus inspired project.

When I layout PCB's or want accurate small increments, I'll use millimeters, but barring that, my brain is wired for Imperial units. I remember back in grade school (mid 70's) my teachers taught us that in the near future the world would embrace the metric system so that is why we were learning it. Of course in any scientific setting, you are going to use the metric system, but for everyday life (USA at least) the Imperial units are holding on!
Not even the Brits held on. It's stupid. We have had dual units in Automotive engineering. We should have converted in the Reagan Era. Need Engineers in government not more lawyers from the bottom of their classes, like you know who.
 
Considering the shorter length of this horn, will I have phasing issues with the current configuration of my network, that has the mid and tweeter inverted from the woofer, or am I just overthinking it?
The curves will tell you. make a double pole double throw switch. Measure and Listen.
 
Considering the shorter length of this horn, will I have phasing issues with the current configuration of my network, that has the mid and tweeter inverted from the woofer, or am I just overthinking it?
Are you asking about polarity or phase/time delay?
 
Usually, if your polarity is out of phase, when you run REW, you will see a big null around the crossover frequency.

If polarity is correct and your crossover frequencies:

1. overlap too much, you will see a hump at the crossover frequency
2. underlap, you will see a very small null at the crossover frequency
 
Gigantic - Did you get a chance to read thru the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook? It's great reading but takes awhile to sink in depending on your level of comprehension, which you seem to have a great deal of.
 
Considering the shorter length of this horn, will I have phasing issues with the current configuration of my network, that has the mid and tweeter inverted from the woofer, or am I just overthinking it?

You mentioned you will be using a Universal crossover. I believe AL's original Universal's only had the mid's polarity reversed. The tweeter filter had the same polarity as the woofer.
 
Just a thought here. When I was proofing the design for my two way I initially glued it all together. The second test mule was screwed together and changes were far easier and cheaper to make. There they sit to this day just screwed together and yeah the screw heads look ugly but there is no cabinet buzz from this so I just leave it alone. The second one on will be assembled with glue since I won't be keeping them.
 
Gigantic - Did you get a chance to read thru the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook? It's great reading but takes awhile to sink in depending on your level of comprehension, which you seem to have a great deal of.
I did. Chapter three was particularly useful, even if referring to chapter 2 for tables was a bit cumbersome in pdf format. My guesstimates weren’t far off.

You mentioned you will be using a Universal crossover. I believe AL's original Universal's only had the mid's polarity reversed. The tweeter filter had the same polarity as the woofer.
My error- I’ve built 3 type E networks to one universal, so that sticks out in my memory as the orientation. I mistyped.
 
Just a thought here. When I was proofing the design for my two way I initially glued it all together. The second test mule was screwed together and changes were far easier and cheaper to make. There they sit to this day just screwed together and yeah the screw heads look ugly but there is no cabinet buzz from this so I just leave it alone. The second one on will be assembled with glue since I won't be keeping them.
I’ve had similar thoughts. At the moment, I’m thinking that I’ll make a slightly smaller cabinet for the 12” woofer than I would if I’d used a larger, 15” unit, so I’m thinking that I’ll screw the motor board from the inside with pocket screws, so that if down the road, if I decide that I want to retrofit a bigger mid horn or woofer, I can reuse the front and back and simply cut new pieces for the box itself, with more volume.
 
The newest Universal, the “CornScalawall” (probably the stupidest name he could’ve come up with) - does not invert polarity for the midrange. I built one, and sent it to the customer, who measured the speaker after the install. I have attached the plot that he sent me. Even with a much shorter horn, the plot shows the polarity should still be inverted. Since I no longer communicate with Al, I have no idea why he chose to do this. I went back to building them with the polarity inverted, which makes sense, since the midrange is second order.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0765.jpeg
    IMG_0765.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 22
Dean - when you say "newest", how long has this been "out" compared to other universal versions?
 
A long time. 10 years at least. Attached picture has a date tag of Dec 13 2013.

But, polarity was originally inverted on it. He didn’t flip it until the “Economy” version. Maybe 2015?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1339.jpeg
    IMG_1339.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 27
They are wired a little bit differently too. Iterations one and two floated common for the midrange. It gave you a lot of settings for the midrange, but there were weird/inconvenient gaps. You also needed to use a chart to figure out what in the hell was going on. I had to twist his arm a bit to change it so it could do 1dB steps. Al came up with the new method of doing the autoformer labeling, which was brilliant (in dB instead of cryptic numbers).
 
Last edited:
thought: 2 x 12 woofers vs 1x12 or 1x15? at the current moment, the plan is for a cabinet that's not more than 48" tall, between 18-1/2 to 19-1/2" wide, enough room to expand the woofer from 12" to 15," should I feel the need and if budget allows. There's still a lot of vacant real estate beneath the woofer on the motorboard, what would be the effect of running 2 Delta Pro 12A's or equivalent drivers? It should move more air, right? will it overwhelm the midrange with the ZXPC K510 & PRV D2200PH?
 
I think you need to get WinISD working first.
That’s a given, but I’m having issues installing it in the auxiliary drive on my backup MacBook; at any rate, I’m literally sitting on a jobsite watching poly dry, supervising the guys applying it. I’m bored and when I’m bored, I get ideas; sometimes good ideas, sometimes bad.
 
Back
Top Bottom