• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SX-1010 won't Power On...

Do you mean 2.48 volts? I hope it's not the bias being that high ever. Millivolts yes but volts....:no:

Those buggers are very touchy. Need a very steady hand. :D

That is why I turn them up 1 little tiny notch at a time and take readings every time I do so. When I'm closer (around 2.00) I make the turns even tinier until I reach the desired voltage. :thmbsp:
 
Hey man. No, what I was trying to say is that the MM is at 20mV scale and I am getting 2.48 which is 2.48X20mV. That sounds about right?

I would assume you mean you have your meter setting at DC 20mv reading scale. So that means you are getting 2.48mv. Am I correct? And that would be the bias measurement you're doing right?
 
Hmm. I thought 20mV scale meant the readings increased 20mV at a time so 2.48 meant 50mV. Apparently I'm mistaken...
 
Hmm. I thought 20mV scale meant the readings increased 20mV at a time so 2.48 meant 50mV. Apparently I'm mistaken...

Before you go on, can you post a pic of your meter? Don't want to mistake you blowing your receiver.
 
Nm, I am WAY off. it is the maximums I am thinking of. Yes, it is 2.48 mV then. Not good. I am going to have to cranck that up a little more.
 
Please tell me you didn't go to 2.48v!!! Look at the meter manual and PLEASE TELL ME YOU DIDN'T GO 2.48VOLTS!!!:yikes:
 
No I didn't. I went 248 mV instead of 50mV..

**OUCH**!! Well that's better than 2.48 volts.


0.05 volts as 50mv is correct.


Your transistors should survive this I hope. My SX-1250 left channel was at way over 300mv when I got it with stock transistors and they survived it even while playing at that high bias set until I discovered it was heating up superbly fast. Your new transistors are more durable than my SX-1250's stocks.
 
I can't believe how touchy it is. To reach 0.05, I only have to turn the pot about 1/40 of the circumference or somwhere around that?!??
 
You might want to consider getting a meter that has millivolts range. If you notice my post on this thread #54 first pic of my meter, ignore the proceedure and just look at the meter and you'll see the DC volt settings which has 200mv and 2000mv then 20v, etc. It's a cheap meter but it works well.
 
Okay, I had my wife take these pictures while I was measuring the BIAS pot. Scale is at 2V. Looks good?
 
Looks good. Is that on the DBT or straight AC?

If on DBT, make sure you turn it way back down before you hook it up to straight AC as Mark's instruction.
 
Straight AC. Also, I don't think the reading EVER went up to 2.48. It must have been 0.248 at the time. Somehow I was wrong by one digit.
 
Back
Top Bottom