• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

sx-1050

Register to hide this ad
Since you meant to say the unit has a leaking 20000µF 80V cap, then yes you can use a 22000µF 100V cap to replace it, but I'd replace both the caps.
 
I used the Adcom 22000uF 100v caps on eBay for the 1050 restore I did, I can't post the link but search adcom 22000uF, they'll come up. They worked and fit perfectly, the only thing I had to do was enlarge the holes in the bar and the ring terminals on the 1050 slightly, as the screws for the new caps are a little bigger then the originals.
 
I used the Adcom 22000uF 100v caps on eBay for the 1050 restore I did, I can't post the link but search adcom 22000uF, they'll come up. They worked and fit perfectly, the only thing I had to do was enlarge the holes in the bar and the ring terminals on the 1050 slightly, as the screws for the new caps are a little bigger then the originals.

Mine are done with these as well. Works great!
 
I just bought a SX-1050 off the local Craigslist, and upon inspection while cleaning this unit, one of these large capacitors has started to split and weep on the bottom between the terminals.
IMG_4839.jpg

Everything seems to be working fine at the moment, at least after I Deoxit-ed the switches and checked and reset (minor) the DC offsets and biases! (Gotta love AudioKarma Forums:banana:)

When I was inspecting this receiver at the craigslist guys' place, it made a loud pop when turned on and again when turned off, no more noises have been heard since the Deoxit treatment. Could this noise have been because this large cap is starting to fail? Or do you guys think it had more to do with cleaning the switches and pots?

Question about these Adcom 22,000 100V Capacitors:
The epay ad shows thes as "Computer Grade", Where do these stack up verses the originals in relation to their life and sound quality? They seem inexpensive compared to similar valued ones on Mouser or Digikey
.
 
That cap is toast, might be age or something is drawing alot of current, or the unit was fixed once and the caps weren't changed etc. The popping could have been caused by the switches being dirty. The big caps need replacement.
as far as the price ,you'll prob. get a better one online most times. The ones on mouser or digikey are usually computer grade also. Most people use those caps unless they opt for more expensive ones. They will last a long time if it's only the caps that are bad.

John M
 
High performance and reliability and long term use at elevated temperatures. Computers run for many hours. They are supposed to be designed for it.
So run that puppy up for 100hrs a day and enjoy.... just kidding.

see ya
John M
 
Back
Top Bottom