• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

sx-1250 power amp SMOKED help

I want to mention:
Post your progress so we can see/hear your steps as you work through the set.
I was rereading your thread and there are gaps in the procedures. Not that you need hand holding but it helps us to keep track. That's the fun part for me. Seeing your set getting fixed!
It still could be to late but members can have a shot at giveing advice as well.
For instance:
"Things are going well. The voltages check good on the Power supply. My next step is ect."
 
Last edited:
At this point I am going to sort through the transistors and try to figure out where they go. I am also going to test them all before installing. When I turned it on again the dbt bulb was brighter than I've ever seen a bulb go and the receiver was making noise. I turned it off right away. Hopefully I didn't fry anything else. It may be a while before I get to posting anything as We have a baby due soon and I'm getting the evil eye from my wife about working on the receiver.

talk to you guys soon!
 
o.k. so I couldn't wait to work on this. Does anyone know if 863-MJE15032G Can be used on AWR-106-A For q1,q5,q9, and q12? Somewhere I found a list and those were the numbers giving. The list posted above the other day has different numbers. I checked q2,q3,q4,q6,q7,q8,q10,q11,and q13 against the recent list from mtf and have installed them correctly. I will be wait to hear back before jumping the gun again. Also are there any other transistors, resistors or capacitors I need to check? Don't wanna screw it up again! thanks again guys.
 
Also I tested the diodes last night by using a dmm and checked for current being allowed one way and not the other. There were a few letting current go both ways. For what they cost I am going to just replace them all. I'm still unsure on how to check the transistors like the Q7,Q8,Q9 and so on. I did check 4 of the main transistors on the heat sink and one of them allowed power to go both ways, the other three did not. I am going to replace them all. This units fm antenna has been robbed. The am/fm didn't work when I got it. I'm taking one step at a time repairing this but eventually want it to work as designed. I noticed some schaffed wires from a previous repair and the main caps have been replaced with the 17000 instead of the 22000 which I read are correct. If you have any leads on the antenna please let me know.I love repairing things! lol

My fiancé hates this radio !!!!!! It's taking me from her...

Use these, don't pay attention to the pic they use...
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...101LPN223TDB7M/?qs=p6VZ%2bklCkRR01wAblBeeKw==
 
That's a great price!

How about a picture of the stabilizer board?
 
Last edited:
sx-1250,power,supply,stabilizer,ok,,,,,
sx-1250,awr-106,c1,220,80,cea,,220,100,647-UPW2A221MHD
sx-1250,awr-106,c2,220,80,cea,,220,100,647-UPW2A221MHD
sx-1250,awr-106,C5,47,35,cea,,47,35,647-UPW1V470MED
sx-1250,awr-106,C6,47,35,cea,,47,35,647-UPW1V470MED
sx-1250,awr-106,C7,22,50,cea,,22,50,647-UPW1H220MDD
sx-1250,awr-106,C8,22,50,cea,,22,50,647-UPW1H220MDD
sx-1250,awr-106,C9,100,35,cea,,100,50,647-UPW1H101MPD
sx-1250,awr-106,C10,100,35,cea,,100,50,647-UPW1H101MPD
sx-1250,awr-106,C11,47,80,cea,,47,100,647-UPW2A470MPD
sx-1250,awr-106,C12,47,80,cea,,47,100,647-UPW2A470MPD
sx-1250,awr-106,C13,1000,25,ceb,,1000,35,647-TVX1V102MCD
sx-1250,awr-106,C15,47,10,cea,,47,10,647-UPW1A470MDD6
sx-1250,awr-106,C16,22,10,cea,,22,10,647-UPW1A220MDD
sx-1250,awr-106,C17,220,16,cea,,220,25,647-UPW1E221MPD1TD
sx-1250,awr-106,C18,47,10,cea,,47,10,647-UPW1A470MDD6
sx-1250,awr-106,C19,47,10,cea,,47,10,647-UPW1A470MDD6
sx-1250,awr-106,q1,2sd313,pass +65,,,,,512-KSC2073TU
sx-1250,awr-106,q2,2sc869,darl,,,,,512-KSC2383YTA
sx-1250,awr-106,q3,2sc1318,err-amp,,,,,512-KSC1845FTA
sx-1250,awr-106,q4,2sc1384,pass +25,,,,,512-KSC2690AYS
sx-1250,awr-106,q5,2sb507,pass -65,,,,,512-KSA940TU
sx-1250,awr-106,q6,2sa628,darl,,,,,512-KSA1013YBU
sx-1250,awr-106,q7,2sa720,err-amp,,,,,512-KSA992FBU
sx-1250,awr-106,q8,2sa684,pass -25,,,,,512-KSA1220AYS
sx-1250,awr-106,q9,2sd325,pass +13,,,,,512-KSC2073TU
sx-1250,awr-106,q10,2sc945,darl,,,,,512-KSC2383YTA
sx-1250,awr-106,q11,2sc945,err-amp,,,,,512-KSC1845FTA
sx-1250,awr-106,q12,2sd325,pass +5.5 ,,,,,512-KSC2073TU
sx-1250,awr-106,q13,2sc945,darl,,,,,512-KSC2383YTA
sx-1250,awr-106,d1,wz-240,,,,,,512-1N5252B
sx-1250,awr-106,d3,wz-240,,,,,,512-1N5252B
sx-1250,awr-106,d5,wz-061,,,,,,512-1N5234B
sx-1250,awr-106,d2,1s2473,,,,,,512-1n4148
sx-1250,awr-106,d4,1s2473,,,,,,512-1n4148
sx-1250,awr-106,vr1,4.7k,1 turn,,,,,652-3386H-1-502LF
sx-1250,awr-106,vr2,4.7k,1 turn,,,,,652-3386H-1-502LF
sx-1250,awr-106,R13,680,2W mox,,,,,660-MO2C681J
sx-1250,awr-106,R14,1.5K,2W mox,,,,,660-MO2C152J
sx-1250,awr-106,R18,100,2W mox,,,,,660-MO2C101J
 
Thanks. It will be a future purchase. Right now I'm trying to get it working first. Yep, I will be investigating wires for issues.
 
Last night I checked q2,q3,q4,q6,q7,q8,q10,q11 for shorts. I did find a few with open shorts. I replaced the bad ones and removed q1,q5,q9,q12. I am going to order them soon. Does AWE-068 have many issues causing it not to work? I have no AM/FM operation. I was thinking about getting a recap list and doing this board but I would prefer to learn how to trouble shoot it first. I would like to learn how to use the manual to determine where the powers and grounds come from and go to. Aside from going to school can someone give me an idea of where to start? thanks again!
 
You have to get the Power Supply up to speed (Running). That's where the tuner board gets it's power.

Concentrate on the Stabilizer board.

The list above is everything you need (Except time and patience!) to get the board running.
 
I've been studying the schematics and following lines, from what I've picked up (and please correct me if I'm wrong) awr-107 supplies power to awr-106. awr-106 then sends power out. If I unplug awr-106, both awh-048's and awm-091 I should be able to check powers coming out of awr-107 first before proceeding to attach awr-106 which is next in line right? I would like to start at the beginning and check voltages as I go and learn how it all works and to prevent anything else from failing, Not to mention I'd like it to work as designed. After I determine the voltages are correct from asw-107 I would then plug in awr-106 next and proceed down the line. Am I right?
 
If you want to do that. It's a good exercise. Are you figuring out the schematic and it's secretes?
 
Before I plug in the stabilizer or protection boards, can anyone tell me what voltages I should have at other locations? I'm worried something may have been damaged and don't wanna plug anything else in until I'm sure everything is o.k. thanks again
 
Last edited:
Amp boards completely disconnected.

You can install the protection board and connect the molex plug with the thick violet wires that go to pins 10 and 11 ONLY.

Install the stabilizer board and connect the molex plug with the thick red wires to pins 4 and 5 ONLY. This section (circuit) you are connecting to, is a seperate part of the stabilizer board and not part of what you had done (worked on) on the board.
NOTE: When installing the boards, it's easy to pinch the wires comming from the bottom of the set, between the mounts and chassis.

Set pluged in to the dim bulb tester (100 watt) and turned on:
DMM set to DC volts
Black probe to chassis ground.
Read pins 1 and 2 on the stabilizer board.
Read pins 12 and 13 on the protection board.
You should be getting real close to +-60 volts or so. Record what you get on each pin and report. Some pins (2 pins, one on each board) will read a negative volt. The DBT will draw the voltage down, (The spec with full house current is +-70 volts).
Before you attempt this check:
Look at the full schematic (Page 42) and follow what I explained so you can start to see the picture.
 
Last edited:
For test and learning purposes, since the transistors I removed were working I'd like to reinstall them and troubleshoot things. First of all I don't remember exactly which one went where. How can I tell which one goes where? How can I test them and compare with the manual? Three of them have writing but don't match up with any numbers on the factory parts list. I'd like to see if I can get the receiver working how it was prior to this repair and then move forward with some more testing.
 
What about the above readings? Post 76?

Post the list of transistors you used.
I'm beginning to see the problems! :scratch2:
You can't match the new transistor legs to the old ones. They (New) have different leg positions.

The data sheets at Mouser will guide the install.
Learn the transistor leg names and how the component works. KNOW POST #41 If you never learn anything else in electronics, learn this!
Don't install any used transistor until you understand how to test them.
This: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43186

Stop jumping around and one thing at a time. At this pace it's going to take some time to sort this mess out but you can help by reading and learning on your own. :sigh:
Oh! Where's the readings? :yes:

If by chance you posted this last post from work and haven't got to the readings. Never mind the last paragraph! :D

Now lets get this top Pioneer set operational! :thmbsp:

Clear Pictures of your stabilizer board PLEASE. Top and bottom.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom