• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

sx-1250 power amp SMOKED help

No you didn't hinder anything at all. The help here is much appreciated because it's not something any of you have to do at all. That one bad part number has taught me a lot about electronics. Do you know how much reading and testing I did trying to figure this out! Finally something clicked yesterday and I figured out what was wrong. lol

I'm debating on the next project. Since I got the sx-1250 I purchased several items off craigslist. I'm thinking I should start the Magnavox Berkshire Console. Or maybe upgrade my Bozak e300's to the 302a's or maybe goto the pilot 602m and recap it before something bad happens. Or finish repairing the speakers On my 1967 Fender super reverb Black Face amp that I picked up at a garage sale for 10 bucks. I'm sure some of you are musicians right?

Or maybe I'll be a good husband and focus on the baby thats due any day....Yeah thats probably whats gonna happen............
 
Last edited:
Just wanted to stop back by and thank all that helped me bring my sx-1250 back to life. Finding this web site has led me into a whole new level of listening to music! Thanks again!!!!!!!!
 
Just wanted to let you all know the sx-1250 is still playing like a champ! I am very thankful for all of your help especially MTF. If there is anything I can do for any of you guys please let me know!
 
In the evening when I felt a good day behind me and fun interesting things to come the next day, with a few cold ones finished, listening to my sets, I'm reminded of the help I received from the great members in this forum. It's a good feeling. They have provided the advice in bringing my equipment back to life as well as an education I have longed for since I was a kid, looking at the guts of those electronic mysteries.

I felt you in the same place.
 
Last edited:
Where are you wanting them to go?
I can't see where they would go/fit. :dunno:
 
Picture 2 is the source for all of your trouble. One leg of the temperature comp diode for the bias is broke off. That one little bugger has certainly caused a big headache. The clearly visible damaged components such as the resistors on the amp board are one thing but there will be further damage that is not clearly visible. You're basically looking at a rebuild of the amp board and output transistor replacements. The diode CAN be repaired but I DO have brand new STV-3H diodes if needed.
Do you have some more of the 3h and 4h's?
 
3h's on eBay from German Seller - painless transaction to your mailbox.
4h's are usually salvage from duff units, mainly on eBay, at a premium price...

what unit do you need them for?
 
They very seldom fail. I've never had a bad one in nearly 20 years of repairing audio gear, and I think I've seen one or two examples (not including breaking the leads off, which is repairable) of failure on AK in almost 20 years.
 
Back
Top Bottom