• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SX-828 How Do They sound?

How can you get speaker jacks like those?

I made those speaker terminals using parts from my local electronics store. They replace the existing Pioneer socket - they do not plug into it. I first designed it to plug into the existing socket, but it seemed clunky, so I went with Plan B as shown in the picture.
 
Veddy nice!

Here's a picture of the speaker jacks I replaced on my SX-727.

I really like that. If I ever get so low on projects needing my attention, I'll have to do some replacements like those. The OEM plugs are a PITA....:thumbsdn:
 
The Pioneer SX-828 is an outstanding unit. I'll likely keep mine forever. A very warm sounding receiver. I even prefer the sound over that of the larger Sx receivers, although they have more power.:yes: Brad
 
In my experience, most of the SX Pioneers put out significantly more power than the ad's would have you believe. Part of the reason is quality parts selection, overkill PS design, and the method of testing was more strict back then. It would be nice if someone could post factual evidence to back me up here.
 
Actually, that's been my experience with other older gear. Both my Marantz 2265B and my Sony integrated amp (TA-2650???) bench tested above published specs.

They just don't make 'em like they used to...:D
 
I like what I'm reading. I picked up an near-mint 828 over the summer at GW for about $50. Can't wait for to get it in the rotation...:thmbsp:
 
The information is out there on max power output. Classicaudio tests stuff and posts results on the units for sale. Looking over the Pioneer receivers, the power output seems to be about 5 watts over rating for the small units, 10 watts for the mid units and 20 watts for the big units. But, these power ratings are at 1% THD, above the rated distortion for each unit. The rated power usually has 0.0something% THD.

So this one data point for many receivers doesn't indicate that these receivers have 'extra' power compared to the other manufactures. But data from the AK techs will be accepted immediately in place of this information.

Scroll down for the tech report on the unit:
http://www.classicaudio.com/forsale/pio/SX1250.html and go to
http://www.classicaudio.com/forsale/ to see other Pioneer units.
 
I have the Service Manual-here are the specs for the SX 828: Continuous Power @ 8 ohms, both chanels driven 1 kHz 60W + 60W. Power output 20 Hz to 20 kHz both channels driven in the range of 54W, harmonic distortion less than 0.5%. Continuous power, each chanel driven @8 ohms 70W/70W. 24 ohms 95W/95W.
 
Guess my guess was pretty close, as classicaudio recently tested an 828 at 64wpc before at clipping.

The IHF rating of 270 watts from the brochure is interesting, since it sort of backs up what we're discussing here. In order to be able to provide short bursts of large dynamic power, the supplies must be stable and there must be plenty of reserve current on tap, especially if it's a 4 ohm load.

In any event, these are classy looking machines and sound nice. I prefer the SX-x2x and SX-x3x/1010 series a bit more than the later SX-xx50 and xx80 series. Perhaps the main reason is because *even though* the THD specs aren't as good, they likely used less global feedback in the gain stages. I like the tubey-sound of the early Pioneers. With decent, reasonably efficient speakers they can sound amazing.
 
Can I butt in here? I got an SX 828 from a friend for $40. It seems to work well but switching the low filter switch make a loud pop. I always test new finds with my Cerwin vega's because they have built in protection. the pulse activated the protection, telling me it was seriously loud. What should I do, the receiver sounds good? Oh, the dial lights refuse to stay lit. I fiddle with the dimmer button and they come on, only to go back out. Patrick
 
Can I butt in here? I got an SX 828 from a friend for $40. It seems to work well but switching the low filter switch make a loud pop. I always test new finds with my Cerwin vega's because they have built in protection. the pulse activated the protection, telling me it was seriously loud. What should I do, the receiver sounds good? Oh, the dial lights refuse to stay lit. I fiddle with the dimmer button and they come on, only to go back out. Patrick


Actually, you should start your own thread.

The pop means capacitors are leaking electronically - they dry out and need to be replaced, especially if you see little powder blue ones with Sanyo on them, they are notorious.

The dial light switch tends to burn up over the years. IF the 828 uses "fuse type" bulbs, there are LED replacements that work nicely but draw far less current, thus after the switch is repaired, it can be expected to last a long time. That little switch is carrying several amps of current. Contact cleaner won't work, they have to be disassembled and burnished by someone experienced in putting them back together - and has a supply of similar switches to scrounge parts from.
 
Back
Top Bottom