• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tangent Acoustics - ???

Here is what looks like near exact match for original grill cloth on the RS4. Grill Cloth

Oh, and I have the crossovers recapped and the Tangent RS4's are singing again. :yes:

Will get some pics and details posted up in the morning.
 
Well here is the spiffed up crossover.

Moved the small white resistor towards the edge to make a little room for the 6uf cap. The board has many extra holes so I was able to use all existing spots but the holes for the 4.5uf Claritycap and the 47uf Audyn had to be enlarged. I nipped the corners off a small eyeglass flathead screwdriver and slowly hand drilled from the metal contact side. Perfect fit. All caps went in tight and I only used a little Goop under the BIG 47uf cap.





I wanted to try the 2.2uf Mylar caps so I ordered from ERSE. Only reason I didn't go for Dayton caps in the 6uf and 2uf spots was I were already ordering the Mylar caps. More on those later.

Partsconnexion had a good sale going and a 50uf cap that I wanted (because it was only one I thought would actually fit) so I ordered them and a couple 4.5uf Claritycap ESA. Well, after the fact, I learned the 50uf AXON cap was not in stock...so....

Back to PE for the 47uf Audyn cap. Dayton has a 50uf but it is just to dang big.

Now, as far as my cap rolling experience...it went like this.

One crossover rebuilt with all new caps and the 2x 2.2uf Mylar caps vs. untouched crossover. WINNER - Untouched speaker.

Next the Mylar caps were changed for a single 4.5uf Claritycap ESA. Winner - Rebuilt speaker.

Next was redone crossover speaker vs. other speaker crossover redone with everything but original 2.2uf Mylar caps were left in place. Winner -Rebuilt Crossover with the single Claritycap 4.5uf.

The new Mylar caps I tried were very bad. There was a ringing at some freq. and just poor sound quality.

The rebuilt crossover with original 2.2uf caps sounded good...but....

The completely rebuilt crossovers with the Claritycap ESA 4.5uf caps just brought everything together. Really digging these speakers. The vocals and horns and strings just come out so sweet and the bass is very surprising. There is a part in the song Waves by Young the Giant where it feels like there are a couple explosions. I did not think it was part of the song and was looking out window for something going boom. Was even looking at neighbors across the street like 'You guys hearing these explosions?!' :D

But yeah, anyway, I was looking forward to playing my current favorite album on these and was not disappointed. White Lighter by Typhoon is really a great-great record. Meant to played as album, it is really spectacular. Lots of horns and kettle drums and stuff and songs that really travel - not a lot of hooks. Give it a listen if you're so inclined.

Ordered this grill cloth today:
https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/S-G473

Thinking of doing a dark stain job on the cabs. Going for something like the last picture of the pretty Klipsch.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN1598.jpg
    DSCN1598.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN1604.jpg
    DSCN1604.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Tkhorn18.jpg
    Tkhorn18.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I believe if you remove the Kef T 27 tweeter there should be a production date on the backside - I have one I am borrowing in the RS6s I recently purchased locally for 250.00, the T 27s were replaced with a pair of similar EPI tweeters but not as smooth and brighter certainly as the Kef - I can buy a pair from the same seller for 200.00 / pair which is a decent deal. They are easily worth 500.00 for the pair and more depending on the market or region. Brand new in the box it is difficult to say but certainly worth a premium.


Unless you do not like the way British speakers such as these sound I would hold onto them. Not the last word in sonics by any stretch but they do sound quite nice all the same. I actually prefer them to often too detailed modern speakers but of course that is a personal matter.
 
I believe if you remove the Kef T 27 tweeter there should be a production date on the backside - I have one I am borrowing in the RS6s I recently purchased locally for 250.00, the T 27s were replaced with a pair of similar EPI tweeters but not as smooth and brighter certainly as the Kef - I can buy a pair from the same seller for 200.00 / pair which is a decent deal. They are easily worth 500.00 for the pair and more depending on the market or region. Brand new in the box it is difficult to say but certainly worth a premium.


Unless you do not like the way British speakers such as these sound I would hold onto them. Not the last word in sonics by any stretch but they do sound quite nice all the same. I actually prefer them to often too detailed modern speakers but of course that is a personal matter.
thanks for the reply, I would love to get these into the hands of someone who will be much more appreciative than I.
 
TJnut - the way to get those into the hands of someone who will appreciate them is to list them in Bartertown. Questions of value belong in Dollars and Sense, and offers in Bartertown. Otherwise all of the forums will get overwhelmed by posts that are actually ads.
 
somebody gave me a set of tangent rs6's. the cabinets are in excellent condition but the drivers were missing. i have the crossovers but the connections aren't marked. any help would be appreciated?
TIA
 
Apparently KEF T27 tweeter - not hard to find - and Audax Bextrene woofers - no idea how difficult they would be to replace.
Often it is easy enough to identify connections on crossovers just by looking at the board. Posting a picture of the front and back might get you the information you want.
Tangents were well respected, so if you can source the drivers easily, it probably would be a good idea to restore them. But if not, or if the cost is too high, modern drivers might be a fine alternative (though. obviously, they would no longer be Tangents - they could be Sines or Cosines if you like equations from geometry).
But get some help choosing, unless you know something about matching drivers to cabinets. I think most of the places that sell drivers can advise you. Audio Xpress and Meniscus spring to mind, but it has been a while since I've paid close attention to the market.
 
i bought morel cat 298's for the tweeters and dayton audio classic woofers for the midrange and woofers were recommended by partsexpress
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20220911_070212.jpg
    IMG_20220911_070212.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20220911_070200.jpg
    IMG_20220911_070200.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20220911_070212.jpg
    IMG_20220911_070212.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20220911_070200.jpg
    IMG_20220911_070200.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 19
need help identifying crossover wiring above?
Hey. I have a pair of RS6 as well. Fortunate that they still are running the original T27 + Audax drivers. Did you ever get information on this? One more Q, did you go for the DC200 8" woofer as a replacement for the Audax? Thank you!
 
I just got a pair of SPL3 Tangent Acoustics speakers from my father in law. Can’t wait to test them. Found this post but unfortunately it seems not many has this model nor could I find info about them, as they are not even on the thunder website info. Anyone has them or info about them?
 
I just got a pair of SPL3 Tangent Acoustics speakers from my father in law.
Welcome, as I see you're a new member. These were made in Canada, so we'll assume that's where you are?

Found this info in an older CAM ad:

"They have the original SEAS drivers, grills, and badges
Tweeters- SEAS H086 1"
Woofer----SEAS 25F-EW 10"
Manufactured around 1979"

Jeff
 
Thanks for the info. I plugged it into a Sherwood S-7650 stereo receiver. For now I only got the radio and a Bluetooth adapter I am waiting to get a new belt for the turntable. Super loud on the radio I can't even go to half the volume.
 
Back
Top Bottom