• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tape Type

canton

Super Member
OK buying some cassettes going to go with the Type II high bias what I always use price 7 for what 30some dollars ? sherwood deck 2.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
I would he surprised if you can find type IIs that cheap anymore.

My understanding is no one is making cassette stock anymore...at least according to NCR. They claim they bought the last remaining tape stock anywhere for their business and that they're in the process of ramping up manfactmanfa new stock.

Except they're making ferric. There are apparently no plans to make Chrome tape. They apparently don't see it as necessary as they claim their tape "will be better".

YoureY basically stuck buying NOS. Once all the NOS tapes are used....it might be curtains for Chrome.
 
That is the price but I got some Type I's for 20 for forget the # of tapes but for now have to do. I record several Blues Shows a week usually it is fund drive month so I am laying back on recording at the moment no reason to listen to what I know that is that independent Radio Stations are getting zip from the Feds these days. And never will again is my guess gone like a whole lot of things that helped make it easier on a lot of people who gave there time energy and ahhh better stop.
So you are saying they are phasing out tape then is that what I read you saying?VJ Label 2.jpg
Canton
 
That is the price but I got some Type I's for 20 for forget the # of tapes but for now have to do. I record several Blues Shows a week usually it is fund drive month so I am laying back on recording at the moment no reason to listen to what I know that is that independent Radio Stations are getting zip from the Feds these days. And never will again is my guess gone like a whole lot of things that helped make it easier on a lot of people who gave there time energy and ahhh better stop.
So you are saying they are phasing out tape then is that what I read you saying?View attachment 1441748
Canton

Canton, type I's and II's have distinct advantages and sound characteristics (not necessarily good/bad). Are you specifically asking whether 7 for $30 is a good deal? I find them sealed at my local thrift store's all the time for .69 cents a pop.
 
So you are saying they are phasing out tape then is that what I read you saying?
Canton

Pre-recorded cassettes were phased out about 15 years ago in North America, and the widespread distribution of good Type II and Type IV tapes happened not much later. I haven't seen any Type II on the shelf of a local store in years, and it hasn't been made in ages either. If you're lucky to find some, you're buying new old stock. I think the CD burner becoming cheap in the late 90s spelled the end for high quality cassettes. There's a retro fad cassette resurgence going on right now, I think riding on the back of the vinyl resurgence, but I've seen zero new high quality decks made, and Dolby doesn't even license their noise reduction to manufactures anymore.

I think it's fair to say it was already phased out a long time ago, but it was so popular for so long, that there's lots left out there which still exists. If you put some effort into it, you can probably find yourself a lifetime supply of old tapes you can reuse.
 
Type II isn't getting any cheaper...or easier to find. Sometimes you can get lucky and find them cheap at a thrift, but I've yet to find any at a thrift near me at all. The average going rate per tape on the Bay seems to be around $3.50-5/tape. It can go higher for single tapes (always go for a bundle versus single tape listings), or for 80's era NOS (The TDK SA90s w/the black and green label seem to fetch $8-10/tape).

I did read something recently about RTM's new FOX brand cassettes (which are a quality new Type I), about possibly trying to do a new Type II at some point, if they can find a good source for new manufacturing. It's my understanding that no one is making it at the moment, but some of the production equipment still exists, and it can still be made in many countries outside of the US - there just isn't enough of a market for it for the time being.

So, extremely slim chances, but there might be some hope for a new Type II at some point if this mini-cassette resurgence thing going on continues. If you want to play it safe though, I'd just stock up on a bunch of NOS Type IIs
 
Your best bet to find high quality Ferrics and Chromes are in thrift stores in cassette decks sometimes they might have either pre-recorded tapes or blanks in the decks or looking through cassettes, sometimes they might show up inside backed up tapes as well.
 
That is the price but I got some Type I's for 20 for forget the # of tapes but for now have to do. I record several Blues Shows a week usually it is fund drive month so I am laying back on recording at the moment no reason to listen to what I know that is that independent Radio Stations are getting zip from the Feds these days. And never will again is my guess gone like a whole lot of things that helped make it easier on a lot of people who gave there time energy and ahhh better stop.
So you are saying they are phasing out tape then is that what I read you saying?View attachment 1441748
Canton

Type II tape has not been newly manufactured in some years. Type 1 tape still is. Recording The Masters Fox K7 is new production, very good Type 1 tape stock.
 
So you guys are right about type II tapes I guess I was fortunate to have a large stash of type IIs given to me thru the years. I used the type ones and very sharp to my ears but I can do other things with the type I's interviews and whatnot of artists. My old tapes of radio shows from over 20 years ago still sound fine to my ears most have been in storage for years or thru the years. Radio used to be a great source of music I have no use of Seriuos or whatever they are putting out right now but that is me. Put up a tower and bounce it around to others like a few still do as I continue to search for weak signal stations with great DJs.
Thanks for the info
Canton
 
Back
Top Bottom