• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Teac A-4010S Oil The Motors

cferry1

Active Member
Hello -

Teac R2R model A-4010S.

Can you help locate the Motor Oiling Holes in the Capstan and Reel Motors ?
Pictures attached.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20190120_070713082.jpg
    IMG_20190120_070713082.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20190120_070122528.jpg
    IMG_20190120_070122528.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 73
Register to hide this ad
Greetings from RojoLand!

The reel-motor oiling tubes are inside the front cover. I believe you apply oil directly to the capstan motor bearing instead of via an oiling tube. Service manual details disassembly procedure (page 6) and oiling locations (page 25). (Page numbers are in the service manual for Serial Numbers 14459 and up; what serial number is your deck?)

Take care,
—
J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak" (listening to my A-4010S serial #48104 as I type this)
 
Thank You Much Rojoknox.

Yes, I actually located the Oiling Small Tubes for the Supply and Take Up Reel Motors this morning. Located as you described under front cover , just hidden under the Reels Mounting Table - the oil tubes point to outer side of the unit on each side.
I even took a picture of these. I may post later.
The center motor _ Capstan Motor - I oiled exactly as you stated. I oiled the rear shaft and front shaft areas of this Capitan motor !
 
I realize this is an old thread, but can anyone tell me where to find the oil tubes (or ports) for a pre-14459 deck? I can't see anyplace for oil, front, back, remote, nothing!
 
I realize this is an old thread, but can anyone tell me where to find the oil tubes (or ports) for a pre-14459 deck? I can't see anyplace for oil, front, back, remote, nothing!
JShaw3 -

Can you send pictures front and back of the Reel Motors ?
 
Finally got a chance to do this yesterday.
 

Attachments

  • 20200423_104217[1].jpg
    20200423_104217[1].jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 20200423_104226[1].jpg
    20200423_104226[1].jpg
    94 KB · Views: 64
  • 20200423_104242[1].jpg
    20200423_104242[1].jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 20200423_104250[1].jpg
    20200423_104250[1].jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 69
Just not seeing it! I found a picture online yesterday that appeared to show the tube, but mine definitely doesn't have one like that.
 

Attachments

  • 20200423_104257[1].jpg
    20200423_104257[1].jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 20200423_104312[1].jpg
    20200423_104312[1].jpg
    96 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200423_104326[1].jpg
    20200423_104326[1].jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 20200423_141454[1].jpg
    20200423_141454[1].jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20200423_141505[1].jpg
    20200423_141505[1].jpg
    112 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200423_141517[1].jpg
    20200423_141517[1].jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 49
I am definitely Confused.
Your 2nd post said " I finally go this done " , then your 3rd post says " Your still not finding it ? "

Yes, I remember in the Deck I was Oiling they were hard to locate, but they were there.
 
You asked if I could send pictures, I finally got the pictures done.

I still have the front off, so I'll continue looking. I'm just hoping someone can be a little more specific on where to look.

thanks
 
Greetings from RojoLand!

The reel-motor oiling tube can be seen here, just above the reel table/brake drum and underneath the brake solenoid, sticking out of a hole. There should be another one like it above the other reel table. (It may be that the tubes have slipped out of their holes.) I don't recall there being a similar tube for the capstan motor. The original Teac A-4000/A-4010 service manual (page 34) states to use two drops of "SAE-10, non-detergent oil" (!!) on the capstan motor after every 3,000 hours of use, two drops on the capstan assembly top bearing after every 300 hours, and one drop on the pinch roller bearing after every 300 hours. Nothing said about the oiling points on the capstan motor, nor any mention of the reel motor oiling. Go figure. "Most of the rotating parts of the transport have been permanently lubricated at the factory." Wishful thinking, perhaps?

Picture also shows result of a blown Suzuki-bomb!

Take care,
—
J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"

Suzuki-bomb, exploded (small).jpg
 
Greetings from RojoLand!

The reel-motor oiling tube can be seen here, just above the reel table/brake drum and underneath the brake solenoid, sticking out of a hole. There should be another one like it above the other reel table. (It may be that the tubes have slipped out of their holes.) I don't recall there being a similar tube for the capstan motor. The original Teac A-4000/A-4010 service manual (page 34) states to use two drops of "SAE-10, non-detergent oil" (!!) on the capstan motor after every 3,000 hours of use, two drops on the capstan assembly top bearing after every 300 hours, and one drop on the pinch roller bearing after every 300 hours. Nothing said about the oiling points on the capstan motor, nor any mention of the reel motor oiling. Go figure. "Most of the rotating parts of the transport have been permanently lubricated at the factory." Wishful thinking, perhaps?

Picture also shows result of a blown Suzuki-bomb!

Take care,
—
J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"

View attachment 1862378

Good morning!

I had seen that picture and I can find those holes in the deck chassis, but no tube thru either. I'm wondering if I'm going to have to pull the motors off to find them. I'll get back after it.

Thanks
 
I'm wondering if I'm going to have to pull the motors off to find them. I'll get back after it.

Thanks

Well, it's been a few years. Were you ever able to locate the oil tubes for the reel motors? :beerchug: I'm considering picking up a 4010S and I'm curious just how "serviceable" it is. That said, I personally disassembled the tension motors to replace the belts on my Akai GX-747, so I can't imagine this being that much difficulty.
 
I was asked to bring a 4010S deck back to life. Like the OP, I was never able to locate the oil tubes. The deck was an earlier version, with the octal socketed cable that went from the transport to the record amps.

All I could do was lubricate the capstan motor bearings and hope for the best. The owner has not reported any noises or problems. I did the same on another similar vintage 4010S deck-same issue, (no tubes) same result. (no noise)
 
Well, it's been a few years. Were you ever able to locate the oil tubes for the reel motors? :beerchug: I'm considering picking up a 4010S and I'm curious just how "serviceable" it is. That said, I personally disassembled the tension motors to replace the belts on my Akai GX-747, so I can't imagine this being that much difficulty.
No, I never did find the tubes. The unit has other sound-quality issues that I have no been able to solve so I set it aside to work on other projects. It's a shame because it's in really good condition. I'll get back to it someday!
 
No, I never did find the tubes. The unit has other sound-quality issues that I have no been able to solve so I set it aside to work on other projects. It's a shame because it's in really good condition. I'll get back to it someday!

Good to know - thanks for the update! I passed on the one I was looking at. Have switched gears and am now looking at an RT-707.
 
No, I never did find the tubes. The unit has other sound-quality issues that I have no been able to solve so I set it aside to work on other projects. It's a shame because it's in really good condition. I'll get back to it someday!

Remove spooling motor rotors by unscrewing 3 screws and oil bearings from bottom directly if tubes are not under rotor. Not familiar with this deck, but I believe there are no spooling motors with sintered bearing what can be oiled without removing rotors, if there is no cap what can be unscrewed. Apply Mobil DTE heavy medium oil (can be bought in ebay, just search) in accordance with SM and leave for a night to soak in.

You can trust this seller:
 
For any Yankees in this thread, know that the 30 ml eBay batch above will cost you over $10 USD (with shipping) at the time of this post. You can buy literally 126x that amount (3,785 ml - a gallon) of the same oil from Amazon domestically for $38 USD, or probably from your local O'Reilly's Auto Parts:

 
I believe Teac recommended 'light' oil - i.e. ISO VG32. I use Hoppes #9 gun oil. . . . easy to find and cheaper than the Ebay stuff.
 
I use Hoppes #9 gun oil. . . . easy to find and cheaper than the Ebay stuff.

Hoppes #9 is also a solvent. Not recommended for motors really, especially axels/bearings that spin constantly. * EDIT: unless you mean specifically the Synthetic Blend Lubricating Oil?
 
Back
Top Bottom