• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Teac TN300 and Phono Pre-amps under 300 dollars

That would be easy choice for me, Musical Fidelity V90LPS is much clearer sound with more detailed and more gain compare other phono preamps I've tried. It would be perfect match for TEAC TN-300 and AT95E cartridge in my opinion. Cheers!
 
I ran a Cambridge Audio 651P for a while with my Denon DL103R for a while. It sounded great, very detailed and relaxed sounding. Unfortunately one channel failed and I went back to my Yaqin MS23B valve phono stage. I've always preferred the musicality of the Yaqin though it is completely unsuited for the low output of my DL103R cart. I was saving up for a Aurealis SUT when I stumbled across something called a Harmonious Audio MPA-1a MC head amp which costs half as much as a decent SUT and claimed not to have any of the matching issues that a SUT can have, so I ordered one. Now I'm enjoying the best sound I've ever had from my system :)
 
"Sophisticated" looks have absolutely no bearing on the sound quality.

Add to your list the Pro-Ject PhonoBox. I have two of these and the sound quality is excellent. It is also MM and MC friendly.

I would also second another poster's recommendation of the excellent Musical Fidelity V90LPS.
 
The OP might want to dig deeper here on AK and read up on other members experiences with AV based systems that also have to accommodate analog. The OP may find that one or the other will have to take a back seat. Most of todays AV receivers if they have analog it's an afterthought at best. I wouldn't be sinking too much money into this dual system, wait for the day you have the room for two systems to do both justice.
 
The OP might want to dig deeper here on AK and read up on other members experiences with AV based systems that also have to accommodate analog. The OP may find that one or the other will have to take a back seat. Most of todays AV receivers if they have analog it's an afterthought at best. I wouldn't be sinking too much money into this dual system, wait for the day you have the room for two systems to do both justice.


I agree up to a point. One receiver I have in my office setup...the Sherwood RX-4109, has a surprisingly good phono stage. Also, the 4109 is not an AV receiver...it is a two-channel stereo receiver. I bought mine just over a year ago for....$129.
 
iLUVanalog good point that your Sherwood RX-4109 2ch analog receiver that cost you $129 has a surprisingly good phono stage. If the OP was able to find room in the stack for an analog receiver he might end up spending a lot less than $300 for a phono preamp. If I had to choose between the two it would be 2ch analog with a video feed, it's tough enough to get 2ch to sound right let alone 5-7 ch AV.
 
"Sophisticated" looks have absolutely no bearing on the sound quality.

Add to your list the Pro-Ject PhonoBox. I have two of these and the sound quality is excellent. It is also MM and MC friendly.

I would also second another poster's recommendation of the excellent Musical Fidelity V90LPS.

Im not sure why you telling me the "sophisticated" looks have no bearing on the sound quality, that wasnt a point of contention. Honestly speaking Im not looking for a display worth phono stage but rather a musical phono stage. Thank you for your endorsement of the Muscial Fidelity, I appreciate your two cents here. What is your experience in terms of its sound profile?
 
The OP might want to dig deeper here on AK and read up on other members experiences with AV based systems that also have to accommodate analog. The OP may find that one or the other will have to take a back seat. Most of todays AV receivers if they have analog it's an afterthought at best. I wouldn't be sinking too much money into this dual system, wait for the day you have the room for two systems to do both justice.

Im not concerned about having a receiver with a phono stage, hence the reason I am buying a phono stage that will pair with any reasonable AV system. Im also not looking to wait for the day when I have the space for a separate listening rig...its not really on my to-do list.
 
iLUVanalog good point that your Sherwood RX-4109 2ch analog receiver that cost you $129 has a surprisingly good phono stage. If the OP was able to find room in the stack for an analog receiver he might end up spending a lot less than $300 for a phono preamp. If I had to choose between the two it would be 2ch analog with a video feed, it's tough enough to get 2ch to sound right let alone 5-7 ch AV.

Thanks for that thought, but Im not interested in adding an analog receiver to the mix, the cost of a phono stage is pretty insignificant. As I mentioned when I initiated this thread Im not really looking to change equipment, Im evaluating phono stages. I know I can pick up an analog 2 channel for next to nothing which doesnt change the fact that Im not really interested in having a dedicated analog rig at this point. Its not so much a space matter or a money matter this is just what I prefer.
 
Definitely check out the Yaqin MS23b. It's an amazing phono stage for the price. If you want MC then look at a quality MM stage and an MC head amp, opens up your options quite a bit. I definated recomment the Harmonious Audio MPA-1a MC Head Amp.
 
So quick update here, I know its now an oldish thread but I thought I would post my experience for anyone interested. I've used the TN300's phono stage since I received and setup the player. I decided to go with the Schiit Mani. I received it yesterday, hooked it up and it makes a noticeable difference. It adds to the clarity and separation and the added volume from the adjustable gain. I have to say I'm impressed with the level of performance for the money. I think the next, and perhaps final upgrade will be a new cart. The at95e is respectable but I now know it is lacking the clarity I am looking for. I'm thinking of ATML440. I must say Im really satisfied with this setup overall thus far. I have invested way less than I expected I would need to to get the sound where I want it.
 
I'm a bit behind on the current crop of Phono Stages, but if you want some additional background info, PM me and I'll send along my compiled phono stage comparison doc. It's a few years old, but covers much of what's in the used market.

I have done this sort of thing quit a bit. For years I lived with the totally refurbished phono stage in a Pioneer SA-8800 Integrated Amp. I went there becasue I realized long ago that many cartridges require other loading than the std 47K and 200pF that comes in many stages ... the SA-8800 had a fully adjustable phono stage.

From there I wandered off to external stages including the ART where we did a shoot-out between all the low cost phono stages with real needle drops on a range of music and group A-B-C evaluated for dynamics and detail, etc.

Bottom line is that for $40, the ART is hard to beat. Sure it can be beat, but the cost is likely to be a few hundred. It has good bottom and middle ranges. OK top end with some detail missing. The TCC-750 is in about the same boat and not as "engaging" to me.

I finally dropped the coin on a used Musical Surroundings Phonomena and have never looked back. It came down to auditory resolution. Details in the music that are just not there with lesser equipment. But that can be a hard budget nut to swallow.

Having been in and around the music industry since the 1970's I have seen and heard a lot. Every enthusiast has their own preferences for what a system is supposed to sound like. I know what I like and I could live with an ART if I had no other choice. It will work up to the AT 440/Mla level. It will not be happy with Shures. It's OK with Ortofons and ADC's and the like. Not to good with Grado.

So look down the road and figure out if you'll be running more than one cartridge? I have a cartridge/stylus library of some 40 odd divided between two TT's. All mounted and ready to go. I swap as needed to get what is on the record to sound as I think it should. If you see that in the future, you need an adjustable stage ...
 
I'm a bit behind on the current crop of Phono Stages, but if you want some additional background info, PM me and I'll send along my compiled phono stage comparison doc. It's a few years old, but covers much of what's in the used market.

I have done this sort of thing quit a bit. For years I lived with the totally refurbished phono stage in a Pioneer SA-8800 Integrated Amp. I went there becasue I realized long ago that many cartridges require other loading than the std 47K and 200pF that comes in many stages ... the SA-8800 had a fully adjustable phono stage.

From there I wandered off to external stages including the ART where we did a shoot-out between all the low cost phono stages with real needle drops on a range of music and group A-B-C evaluated for dynamics and detail, etc.

Bottom line is that for $40, the ART is hard to beat. Sure it can be beat, but the cost is likely to be a few hundred. It has good bottom and middle ranges. OK top end with some detail missing. The TCC-750 is in about the same boat and not as "engaging" to me.

I finally dropped the coin on a used Musical Surroundings Phonomena and have never looked back. It came down to auditory resolution. Details in the music that are just not there with lesser equipment. But that can be a hard budget nut to swallow.

Having been in and around the music industry since the 1970's I have seen and heard a lot. Every enthusiast has their own preferences for what a system is supposed to sound like. I know what I like and I could live with an ART if I had no other choice. It will work up to the AT 440/Mla level. It will not be happy with Shures. It's OK with Ortofons and ADC's and the like. Not to good with Grado.

So look down the road and figure out if you'll be running more than one cartridge? I have a cartridge/stylus library of some 40 odd divided between two TT's. All mounted and ready to go. I swap as needed to get what is on the record to sound as I think it should. If you see that in the future, you need an adjustable stage ...
Thanks for that, sounds very interesting,I'd love to check out your list. In terms of the phono stage, I opted for the schiit mani...Its made a huge difference versus the internal stage. Im really quite happy.
 
Interesting. I'd never considered an adjustable stage, though I'm fairly squarely in the LOMC camp so its mostly about the best SUT for a given cart. I retract my previous statement about the Harmonious Audio MPA-1a being great. A decent SUT outperforms it by a large margin
 
IMO the OP is handicapping himself by his choice of limitations and he will find it very difficult to meet his level of desired sound quality. For starters I wouldn't be looking at any turntable with a built in phono preamp.
 
IMO the OP is handicapping himself by his choice of limitations and he will find it very difficult to meet his level of desired sound quality. For starters I wouldn't be looking at any turntable with a built in phono preamp.

Im confident in my choices and very happy with the sound quality for the time being. As I mentioned when I started this thread, I wasn't looking for advice on a turn table or someone to tell me to replace my speakers, receiver, etc. I was merely trying gauge what phonostages pair well with my current setup.
 
Not sure why you not considering the Emotiva XPS-1. Highly regarded and I believe in your price range. There are numerous reviews posted here.
 
Audio Vista Phono 1 mk II.

Blows away CA640, even the Hypotoad modded model. Beats a stock JD9.

Can handle mm or mc or homc by adjustable load resistors. Gives great flexibility.

Edit: I now see the OP has purchased a phono stage. So be it, and enjoy the music!

PS. For others reading this thread, the Audio Vista gets very little press here but quite as bit on Audio Circle. I think it is a giant killer priced at $299.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom