• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Teac X-10R problem ...

hotgas

Super Member
Banned
Just got an X-10R for $15 as is. Now, it is running but quite fast at first and slowing down then stop after couple minutes. The fast forward/backward work quite well. What is wrong? Please help!
 
Register to hide this ad
Nice score!

Don't know about the speed issue, but that Teac reel is worth your $15 all by itself. Looks to me like you'll have a fine deck after a bit of work.

Jealous?? You bet!
 
Andy,

I think this deck is a lot simpler than my other A3340. I like it that way though. Too bad I don't know how to make it work. Probably will put it on Ebay soon for a good home.:o
 
Maybe Vintage TX will chime in. He knows a ton about these RTRs.

I like the looks of those older RTRs, I have a Pioneer RT-1020L, but I'm told that the they got better as time went by and the decks from the 80s offer better sound. I sold a real nice Tascam 32 a few weeks back that I would have kept if it could have handled 10" reels.

So I'm always lookin', but not real hard.
 
Sounds to me that you have a bad/worn Capstan drive belt. They are cheap and easy enough to replace.
If you're not familiar with the inner workings of Teac tape decks, get a hold of a service manual for the X-10. Then call Teac parts dept. at 323-727-4840. I believe the belt costs $13 + shipping & tax.
 
That's a nice Teac:)
When you press play, does the 2 pinch-rollers engage directly or slowly go up against the capstan-axel ?
 
I'll check it tonight. Sometimes when I tried to do a "fast reverse" the left pinch roller dropped then the whole thing stopped. I then had to do a fast forward or alternated between the two modes a few times before the reverse did it right. A bad belt like Nitrous said?
 
Yes, it sounds like a bad drive-belt Don.
If you need some pointers taking it apart let me know.:)
On this model you go in from the back.
 
Last edited:
I just tried it tonight. The pinch rollers did not move at all. I am all ears for the introduction belt replacement this weekend. BTW, how come the new belt cost as much as my R2R? :rolleyes:
 
Don, if the capstans are not moving at all, probably the drive-belt.
$ 13.00 for the whole deck?:eek:
What a deal...
I would buy the original belt from Teac Don.
Some good instructions from Dan's Forum replacing the belt is here:
http://www.dantiques.com/tapedecks/x7rbelt/replacebelt.htm
Take a look and see what the weekend will bring.:)
Teac parts department: parts@teac.com
You also need head-cleaner, Q-tips and patience.
Let me know when you are ready for "surgery" Don.
 
Finally get to the heart of the belt. I can't post picture to show the progress due to software bug in AK. It is somewhat a little bit more difficult than I thought. Without Vintage's instructions I probably screw up more readily. Many and many thanks to Vintage. :thmbsp:

I also notice there is another belt to run the meter and wonder is it's worth the time/money to replace it? It still seems to be ok, though.
 
So you are inside your Teac today Don, that's great.:)
Did you replace the belt ?
The counter-belt if it's still working, clean the belt instead.:)
Was it tough to take the big board to the side Don ?
 
Vintage,

It is not difficult to get the board out. I am worried about putting it back on :) Just ordered the belt from TEAC today. I see a guy selling belt on Ebay but I believe buying directly thru TEAC is cheaper. And according toTEAC, they no longer make the counter belt so I guess I have no choice but to follow your direction again :)
 
Just be careful when installing the connections Don.
You did right buying a belt from Teac, this model need the correct thickness and length.
If you want to replace the counter-belt, measure it, maybe I have a new one here.:)
 
I received the new belt last night, spent about 1/2 an hour to put everything together. Same symptoms, the pinch rollers do not engage at all :dunno: I found the old belt very loose so the new belt probably helps a little but not enough to solve the problem. Help!!! Please ...
 
Sorry to hear that Don:(
When you press Play does the solenoid try to engage the pinch-rollers ?
Can you hear a clicking noise or totally quiet ?:)
 
Totally quiet for both rollers. I guess the solenoids are ... dead?? But for both of them ?
 
Did you take the faceplate off and checked linkage for the pinch-roller.
Between the reel-tables are 2 solenoids Left smaller one is for pause function and the right bigger one is for both pinch-rollers.
There is a small arm conneted to both solenoids and a bigger plate below, check both linkages Don.
the can be gummed up.
If you lift both pinch-rollers with your fingers, is it any hesitation or get stcuk in up position ?
Another question, when you press play, does the VU-meter lights dim for 2-3 seconds ?

Sorry for all questions Don, but trying to figure out what's going on.
:rolleyes:
 
Back
Top Bottom