• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Technics sl-110 with sme 3009 mk2 or a micro seiki dd-33 with ma 707 ?

Technics sl-110 with sme 3009 mk2 or a micro seiki dd-33 with ma 707 ?

  • Technics sl-110 with sme 3009 mk2

    Votes: 17 68.0%
  • micro seiki dd-33 with ma 707

    Votes: 8 32.0%

  • Total voters
    25
I have a DQ-43 bought new in the early 80's. It's quite heavy and IMO rather attractive (Rosewood veneer plinth). Currently it has a Shure V-15IV mounted to the MA-707 arm. It has always worked flawlessly and I expect it to continue to do so. Having bought it new I have the stub insert and the sliding weight for adjusting effective mass. My only real complaint is that replacement head shells are pretty much unobtainium. Currently it sits on a shelf as the backup to my main TT.

Primary TT is a VPI HW-19/RB-300 (modified)/LO Sumiko Blackbird/SDS/TNT platter and bearing.

Having no experience with a Technics SL-110/SME 309 I have no way of comparing the two. Therefore I didn't vote.
 
Last edited:
I mounted it myself using an SME mounting template.Where the tonearm ends up can vary as long as the center to center points are correct.After all the record is round.
 
IMG_20190430_154921.jpg
And here is the dd 33 the overall condition is pretty good. The dustcover needs a lot of work and the Stanton 681 eee it came with was sadly missing the stylus but it works pretty well so I am happy you can clearly tell that the technics sl 110 is miles better ( in the build quality compartment atleast) I like both though so I haven't decided yet.
 
Put the micro seiki tonearm on the sl110,
Sme tone arms are way overrated and have to Many design flaws.
 
Last edited:
Both the SME arm and the 1100 are probably more serviceable so that’s what I’d go with.
 
Well he has had two years since posting the MS. Maybe we can get an update. Wonder if he did swap the 3009 Series II Imp for something else of if he made a choice between these two tables.
 
Well he has had two years since posting the MS. Maybe we can get an update. Wonder if he did swap the 3009 Series II Imp for something else of if he made a choice between these two tables.
I decided on a completely different deck however I did conclude that the sl-110 runs laps around the dd-33. The dd-33 is not isolated as well, the turntable is light, same for the platter and the electronics required constant adjustments even after basically replacing every single component in the circuit. I did prefer the tonearm but only for how universal it was in terms of cartridge compatibility. The sl 110 with sme 3009 imp is a fantastic deck though I do prefer the look of the seiki. I had a dd-40 for a bit (fantastic turntable) before I settled on a ps-x800. I am still thinking about getting a ps-x75 but I haven;t had a chance to try one out yet since every single one I have had has been defective beyond repair (IC issue). Obviously all this doesn't mean that the dd-33 is bad or that I could even really notice much of a difference when compared side by side, but it's the moments where I did notice major differences that really solidified it for me. I have also been wanting to try out a pd-121 or 131 but that's mostly just because I think they look absolutely gorgeous.
 
Those PDs are nice looking. My fav look is the PD-441. Just a great looking table. I was surprised to learn recently the side panels are vinyl coated no veneer but Luxman had great looking vinyl.
 
Those PDs are nice looking. My fav look is the PD-441. Just a great looking table. I was surprised to learn recently the side panels are vinyl coated no veneer but Luxman had great looking vinyl.

I have had a few luxman players and they all look fantastic. I do prefer the ones where the wood part goes around the entire plinth and not just the sides like with the pd-441 or pd-370.
 
Back
Top Bottom