• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL-1200 series as an audiophile turntable?

I think KAB makes a good argument about the merits of the stock 1200.

I'm no expert to be sure, but I do agree. It's a compelling arguement. I love mine. I like it quite a bit better than my friend's Rega. That's all I know. In fact, he was over tonight picking up some speakers I was working on for him. I put on a record and had him listen to the amp I've been fixing up. He asked what we were listening to and he said "that's a record?!"
 
I wanted to know why this table causes so much discussion, and why some people who own them seem to have to go thru **** slinging. That's it. I mean I dont ask many questions about a 1200 anymore because I get tired of the negs.

No bait intended. In fact if you read my posts backwards there's no hidden meanings either (I hope) :D


Thanks for clarifying.

This is indeed a table that seems to polarize folk.

Cheers,

Paul
 
I'd like adding, and thanking all for participating in this thread, that's there's certainly no shortage of good, sound information, and thoughts about the Technics Tables here.

And that's a very good thing, for an abundance of people who participate here in this forum I feel.

These threads on this forum can hold-contain lots of good, constructive information, and be a very good resource for those that seek it. Mark
 
Yeh.....but there would have to be something amis with the Sota. I would think such parity would raise a red flag.

Having lots of experience with both Sota and the 1200, I am in full agreement with you. The SME V is about the nicest sounding arm I have ever heard.
 
An ORIGINAL SL-1200, (not mkII), with INFINITY BLACK WIDOW TONEARM & STANTON 881S (MKI STEREOEDRON). It is my mate from 1975. No need for service at all!


NBLACKWIDOW.jpg


ORIGINALSL-1200STANTON881S.jpg


And this is the bottom cover filled with an absorbing material called "patafix":

-3.jpg



:tresbon:
 
I'll tell you, I fell victim to the "it's a DJ table it's not meant for audiophile use" line way back in the 70's when I mentioned to the salesman at Absolute Sound in Detroit that I was running a Technics 1200. He showed me the Linn Sondek (great table) and I was hooked, sold the Technics and went and got sucked into the audiophile jungle of constant upgrading, never happy and ultimately listening to equipment instead of music. Got out of it entirely in the early 80's and didn't come back till about 10 years ago, started with the current offerings of the day (Paradigm, Def tech etc...) and eventually came full circle back to where it all started (Marantz2275, NLA's). Then I finally decided to give vinyl a shot again but what TT do I go with? After much consternation I find a Technics SL1300MKII for $125 and say what the heck, well this table is 30 years old like the rest of my equipment and it performs flawlessly. Is it the best in its class? Don't know and don't care, all I know is it sounds terrific to me and thats all I care about.
 
Well, the highly regarded Thorens TD-124 was used in broadcasting, the Garrard 301 and 401 were DJ tables too as well. The Russcos were also DJ tables and so were Rek-O-Kuts, Prestos, Fairchilds and quite a few other highly regarded turntables by audiophiles including the Technics SP-10 Mk II, Mk III, SP-15 and the SP-25 so lets not diss broadcast or DJ turntables. Broadcasters demand quality engineering, 24/7/365 reliability, and at least good to excellent sound, with ruggedness thrown in. They're hard to impress about equipment. I know, I am one for a living as well as a practicing audiophile. And there have been many Technics SL-1200 family turntables used in discriminating broadcast applications including some of my own control rooms. Also some of the audiophile moving coil cartridges we love were designed with broadcast use in mind like the Denon DL-103, the Ortofon SPU range, etc. So give broadcasters some credit. Even the Stanton 681 EEE line is used by discriminating broadcasters and the Shure V-15 Type III and IV had broadcast use sometimes. (there was even Spherical stylus options for these and the original M97 line) in MM cartridges.
 
Last edited:
I wanted to know why this table causes so much discussion, and why some people who own them seem to have to go thru **** slinging. That's it. I mean I dont ask many questions about a 1200 anymore because I get tired of the negs.

This seems like a pro-1200 forum to me. You're getting negs here?
 
OOPS.. sorry for dragging up a dead thread.

I currently have a 1200MKII with an REGA RB250 ARM.

Previous turntables:
AKAI AP207 DD
Pro-ject Debut III + Speedbox II
Rega Planar 3 w P3 Motor upgrade and GrooveTracer Subplatter + Glass Platter.

My listening setup: Cambridge 640p -Yaquin MC10-L Integrated Tube Amp - Rich Acoustic Ported 2-way.

Simply put, to my ears the 1200+Rega Arm blow away all my other decks. I can`t find anything under $1000.00 that can compete.

The Rega arm sounds better on the 1200 than on the Rega itself!
 
Last edited:
The only way to find out is to listen to one or buy one to see if it meets your listening pleasure. Regarding "audiophile" turntables, who designates them that? Will you get a table that has proven reliability, good build and competitive with others in the price range? I'd have to say yes but it's been eons since I've heard one. Even back in the 70's belt drive Thornes tables were touted by my stereo store, and that's what I used for many years. Back then the turntablee was almost considered an afterthought to the speakers and amp. Then I used Regas. Now for all the talking up I got about the Rega from the mail order salesman at Audio Advisor (a Planar 2) I have to say when I listened to it, I did'nt notice any leap foward relative to my Thornes, and I was actually taken aback by the plastic factor. One was "Quicker" the other more laid back. Regas are very good on attack, less so on decay. I might try a Technics.
 
I just have one question for you guys that keep seeing these tables for sale brand new for ~$350.
Seriously, what?
I don't see any brand new for lest than $1,000.
There are used ones on Amazon for ~350 but none brand new.
I'd be all over it if I saw one for $350.

Is this a thing of the past?
 
I just have one question for you guys that keep seeing these tables for sale brand new for ~$350.
Seriously, what?
I don't see any brand new for lest than $1,000.
There are used ones on Amazon for ~350 but none brand new.
I'd be all over it if I saw one for $350.

Is this a thing of the past?

Yeah, check the dates on those posts. Technics prices steadily began going up as supply began to diminish towards the end of production.
 
Dang, so production is over?
Story of my life, a day late, a dollar short.
I guess a lot can change in 2 years huh?
 
EWizard rumors had been circulating for two years that Technics might end production of their turntables/SL-1200Mk2 and when it finally came it wasn't a complete shock but it was the major turntable related news story of the year. Where you been? You will be a lot of dollars shorter when you buy a new one now.
 
Complete Audio Karma noobie.:rockon:
I have learned this is the place to be.
Looks like I'll be looking for a used one. Damn.
 
It was a bargain at $350, interesting at $450, not so much at $600 considering what that can get used. This is for the unmod'ed new SL-1200MkII, the KAB mod'ed TTs are worth asking price IMO.
 
Complete Audio Karma noobie.:rockon:
I have learned this is the place to be.
Looks like I'll be looking for a used one. Damn.

I had a SL1200Mk2 as well as a SL1700 and I used the SL1700 all the time because it's semi auto and sold the SL1200Mk2.

You can pick up used SL1700 and others for little money used, they are built like tanks and sound good.:yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom