• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL 1600

Logos,
I didn't talk to them, but actually ordered it. It states not in stock, but available. If this is not the case, they need to change their website info.The invoice shows a ETA of 5/04. What number did you ask for? The substitute number is SFAD170-01A . I think the original is like a -01E, which is no longer available(NLA).
I looked at the one Eagle1 posted from ebay. Toooo Rich for my blood at over 105 bucks. If it all falls through, I'll get a full refund and ship it all back,(sigh)... I have other turntables, so I wont be dead in the water...this is really more BS than its worth.
 
I went through this too!

Some things I learned to help you guys. I had a beautiful Onkyo receiver sent to me USPS. It was packed loosely in the same sized box with scraps of styrofoam. Needless to say it was smashed to pieces. The seller did not care and told me it was my problem as I did not insure it. I filed a claim with PP and they had the seller reimburse me every penny except the cost of shipping it back.

PP told me: It is the sellers full responsibility if an item is ruined in shipping. It is their responsibility to insure and pack to prevent damage.

It gets harder though when an item is "not as described" for some failure it exhibits. The seller can challenge that type of claim but so can you.

Just some info...
 
Ok......and thanks for the response.

Anybody know where that thread that addresses what covers will fit might be?

Or anybody have any other possible sources for a dust cover that fits the SL-1600?

Muzrik......I talked to somebody at Encompass at the main office in Florida and he said they don't have it......apparently you talked to somebody else. Anyway, doesn't look good there.
Found it, look at post #10: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=156023&highlight=dust+cover. You can still order the 1200MK2 cover thru Technics for 1/2 the price if you can live with the bubble. PN: SFAD122-01A
 
Yes- fits the body fine- but you'll need to order the hinges too as they are two-screw vs. the 1 screw type.
:scratch2:Could not one drill a single hole on the MKII lid to match the single screw hinges?
To drill this type of plastic you first put masking tape on both sides of the plastic, mark the hole location, and step up drill starting with a 1/8" bit working up to the screw size diameter. I've drilled like this on a Pioneer PL200 TT cover and worked fine.
Would rather get a hold of the correct one though...:tears:
 
:scratch2:Could not one drill a single hole on the MKII lid to match the single screw hinges?...


Yes.

But if you screw up-

1) You're out $30 bucks or so. New hinges are $30.

2) The single hole dust covers are re-enforced with a ridge around the hole for structural reasons. Drilling holes in the 1200 cover now has you sporting three holes, reduced strength and rigidity, and increased chance of cracking the cover over time.

3) It won't look as neat and clean as the factory job. A wart on the face of a beauty queen.
 
I just got off the horn with Encompass. She told me that now the manufacturer has quoted them a ship date 5/07. pn SFAD170-01A.
This is the PN for the SL1700 cover. They dont list one for the 1600.

I agree about the drilling part. Could be done and reinforced for functionality, but would look like hell.
 
I just got off the horn with Encompass. She told me that now the manufacturer has quoted them a ship date 5/07. pn SFAD170-01A.
This is the PN for the SL1700 cover. They dont list one for the 1600.

I agree about the drilling part. Could be done and reinforced for functionality, but would look like hell.


Make sure they are talking about the SL-1700 original. The SL-1700 MKII uses the two-hole design of the SL-1200 MKIIs being sold now.

The SL-1600 and SL-1700 (andSL-1800) original is the same, and is the single hole.

The SL-1600 MKII and SL-1700 MKII (andSL-1800 MKII) is the same, and is the double hole.
 
Wow......what a complicated mess.

One hole, two holes, MKIIs, 1200s, 1600s, 1700s......

I never asked about a 1700, just a cover that would fit both 1200 and 1600.

Never got into the "hole" issue.

If I ever do find one I can order I think the odds are against me getting the right one.

My e-Bay seller hasn't said a thing today. I suspect he's talking to the post office about insurance and not getting good news. I already told him that they would probably not pay off due to his poor packing.

I don't feel qualified to pack it up and send it back to him. If there were further damage after I packed it it would be my fault and I'm not in the business of packing turntables.

If he wants it back he's going to have to send me the money to have it professionally packed at a business that can pack well and will take responsibility for safe packing.
 
Simple-

non MK II 1600/1700/1800s (originals) used one hole.

Non-MK II 1200, 1300, 1400 and 1500, and all MK II 1200, 1300, 1400, 1500, 1600, and 1700s used two holes.

All two hole hinges work with these turntables- whether originally a one or two hole dust cover- but may require some minor modification for proper fit. And it's minor, really.
 
So if mine just says SL-1600 it's a "Non-MK II" also known as "Original." Correct?

And by "one hole" we're talking about the hole for the screw that attaches the hinge that's on the turntable to the dust cover. Correct?

On the first page of this thread there's a picture of my cracked dust cover that shows my hinge.

Does that all check out?
 
Some things I learned to help you guys. I had a beautiful Onkyo receiver sent to me USPS. It was packed loosely in the same sized box with scraps of styrofoam. Needless to say it was smashed to pieces. The seller did not care and told me it was my problem as I did not insure it. I filed a claim with PP and they had the seller reimburse me every penny except the cost of shipping it back.

PP told me: It is the sellers full responsibility if an item is ruined in shipping. It is their responsibility to insure and pack to prevent damage.

Ok, but it's bogus for them to expect you to waste your time packing it up for him and spend your money paying the shipping cost for him.

It was his mistake, not yours......it is his problem, not yours.

You did nothing wrong, why should you pay for shipping it back?

If you paid with a credit card, you're protected from this kind of crap......just do a chargeback and get your money back.

Let the seller worry about how he's going to get his smashed up crap back.
 
I got an invoice from Encompass indicating the substitute pn in now no longer available.
I guess I'm done.
 
I got an invoice from Encompass indicating the substitute pn in now no longer available.
I guess I'm done.

You can still get the 1200 dust cover with two holes (IMO better designed) and replace the hinges with the 1200 hinges with dual screws.

It's easy. I've done it myself.
 
So if mine just says SL-1600 it's a "Non-MK II" also known as "Original." Correct?

And by "one hole" we're talking about the hole for the screw that attaches the hinge that's on the turntable to the dust cover. Correct?

On the first page of this thread there's a picture of my cracked dust cover that shows my hinge.

Does that all check out?

Yours is an original model.

You can retrofit a 1200 dustcover on yours as long as you buy new hinges.
 
I double-checked what I had. What I purchased (on eBay) was a pair of brand-new 1200 dust covers with hinges, that came with new pair of 1200Mk2s that the aspiring DJ didn't want to keep. I used the 1200 hinges to mount the new dustcovers onto the 1600 and 1700Mk2. The turntable side of the hinge (the part that fits into the slot on the turntable) is compatible on the three models. The 1600 and 1700Mk2 dust covers that I stored away (badly needing a heavy polish job) still have the original hinges.
 
My seller is still working with the post office, so I'm going to keep working on this dustcover question.

Somewhere, somehow, there's a dust cover for an SL-1600 that I will eventually get.

I'm not done and I'm not packing and shipping this turntable.
 
My seller is still working with the post office, so I'm going to keep working on this dustcover question.

Somewhere, somehow, there's a dust cover for an SL-1600 that I will eventually get.

I'm not done and I'm not packing and shipping this turntable.
Good luck, but doubt anything will be positive. I had the same thing happen with a seller, he refunded some of my money then turned around and filed a claim with USPS with informing me, trying to recoup his loss. 3 weeks later I got a letter from USPS asking me to bring the unit and all of the packing to my local office for inspection within 30 days otherwise they would deny his claim. I never did as it was the way he packed it, the carton showed no signs of damage. People will go to extremes to make up for their lack of commen sense. On the other hand I had some very diligent and caring sellers. I purchased a pair of HPM-100's from a seller in Florida. One arrived but not the other. He called me right away when he received the delivery acknowledgement and had already been in contact with the carrier. It finally arrived a week later after our persistance looking like it had been bounced around alot. Luckily he had double boxed it with with great packing between the two and the speaker was never harmed. So there are the good, the bad and then the ugly.

I'd start the claim process with e-bay to get your seller to wake up and hopefully get a settlement. If the seller wins his claim with USPS he gets the check, not you, so you would still need to get it from him. Any contact with the seller should all be done on e-bay so it is documented.
 
Well, at least he refunded some of your money.

My seller asked me for more pictures. I think he's trying to reassure himself that I didn't change dust covers on him. The pictures prove it's the same dust cover with a new, big crack in it.......you can tell because some of the old scratches match his auction pics.

Anyhow, I think he'll be responsible about it and give me a good refund for the damage. He seems all right, just inexperienced, and I'm sure he can't afford to have me give him a neg.

Plus, I paid with a credit card so I can do a chargeback if he comes with a stonewall on this.

I suspect he'll be reasonable.
 
My seller gave me $40 back, which is fair.

I will continue to investigate the options for getting a replacement dust cover. Seems to me that the safest and easiest way would be trying to find a non-working SL-1600 with a good dust cover.

May work out after a few months of watching e-Bay.

So it goes.
 
Back
Top Bottom