• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Technics SL 1600

Well, it hasn't yet. UE cannot get the cover, NLA. More research finds that Encompass Distributing can get it, alledgedly.Will know in 3-6 days The seller is now squirming a little, says if its over 20.00, he wants the tt back and will refund all shipping charges in full. I may take him up on it. Just a hassle to pack and go to the PO. If ED gets the cover, I'll take the 20 from the seller and pay the shipping for the new cover myself. This TT will sit atop of my hi-fi rack instyle!
You know, I only wanted a decent plastic waffle spinner. This has got to be my worst Ebay experience..EVER!:thumbsdn:

ED---http://www.encompassparts.com/
Later

Rule #1 Don't buy a turntable on ebay from someone that doesn't sell a ton of them. Turntableteen is one of the only sellers I've seen that really knows what he's doing.
 
Rule #1 Don't buy a turntable on ebay from someone that doesn't sell a ton of them. Turntableteen is one of the only sellers I've seen that really knows what he's doing.
Yes he does, and does a great job on making the old covers look like new.
 
Good advice......although taking the occasional gamble is a part of the e-Bay experience.

You can pick up bargains on some auctions that look a little shaky......but you should have a few years of experience on e-Bay before you push it. After you read a few thousand auctions......you have a better chance of discerning the facts behind the item description. Sometimes a really good item is undersold and doesn't get many bids.

I agree that turntables are more risky than most items and it would be better to stick with experienced turntable sellers.

I've done it both careful and risky and have so far avoided disaster.
 
My seller gave me $40 back, which is fair.

I will continue to investigate the options for getting a replacement dust cover. Seems to me that the safest and easiest way would be trying to find a non-working SL-1600 with a good dust cover.

May work out after a few months of watching e-Bay.

So it goes.
Glad the seller was willing to work it out with you. He just wanted pictures to confirm it ws the cover that he shipped with the TT. It has been known that some will buy electronics just to get a working board, etc and swap the bad with the good then file a claim. The seller then gets screwed. Experienced sellers will take many pics inside and out for their assurance purposes just in case this happens. So it works both ways in this wierd world that we live in. Good luck in finding a stock cover for your 1600, who knows you may find a parts unit with a great cover in time.
 
Thanks.

Yes......buying and selling electronics is tough and hazardous.

The way e-Bay is set up now.......I actually feel sorry for the sellers. The odds are stacked against them and they have to take greater risks than ever before.
 
Back
Top Bottom