• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thanks AK, and farewell (for a time)

Good Luck! Bootcamp is one of those things that was horrible at the time, but looking back it was a blast. Just as others have mentioned though, NEVER VOLUNTEER!
 
I went through Air Force basic training at Lackland in 1973. Physically it was easy, psychologically it was tough. Just keep in mind that they harrass everyone to try to weed out unstable personalities. The DI's are almost all very good guys.

Good luck!
 
I just wanted to thank all the great AK members who have helped me with all my vintage audio questions. Thanks to AK, I got my Marantz 2235B up and running, and now she's getting restored. I'm going to miss all the great folks here for the 2 months I'm gone. I'll be at Lackland AFB for Air Force basic training for a while, but you can bet I'll be back to AK, hopefully with some new electronics knowledge I'll get in the AF. :thmbsp: Farewell (for a time) AK! :sadwave:

take care bud....enjoy san antonio!
 
Hope you enjoy "Happy Valley as much as I did" NOT!!! Just remember you get out of the Airforce what you put into it.My best advice..Blend in, don't stand out.Don't volunteer for anything!! Good luck & Enjoy your time at Lackland. Your tech school will be much easier.:yes:

I would follow this to a tee. Not as bad as it seems it will be when you get there the first night.

My best suggestion is to listen to whatever they tell you and the time will go by quickly. I can't say I had a GREAT time in basic but it was very memorable.

I worked on the F-15's hydraulics and was a crew chief too. I would have loved to work on the F-22.

Good luck! Let us know where you are going and what you will be doing.

Denny
 
Hey thanks for everything AKers! And to you prior service men, I owe some thanks to you for serving before me, preserving the freedoms that I'm working for now. And I think we need a 2235B owners' club around here...:thmbsp: awesome receiver.
 
It will grind, but keep your head up (in BT) and all will work out.

Once through the gate and on to AT, you'll be able to look back and smile at BT :)

Keep your head down if your in shoot'in county!
 
Do what the good folks have suggested and you'll walk away from Lackland with a lot -mainly discipline, teamwork, and self respect! Thank you for serving - we appreciate your committment.

Here's my little ditty of advice - Don't wear anything that stands out when you head down to San Antonio - I made the mistake of wearing my High School letterman jacket and as soon as I stepped off the bus, I had three TI's [ training instructors ] surround me and spout off, "Lookie here, Sarge - we've got ourselves a hero! Check out all his medals!" I basically volunteered myself for the BMTS squadron track competition simply because of a fashion faux pas. :tears:

Blend into the woodwork as much as you can. Always remember that the whole concept of boot camp is to break down the individual and build up a team. Study your heart out and remember why you're there - to learn. Take everything in and give 110% As Avionic said, you'll only get as much out of your military experience as you put in to it. Dive in and enjoy it all - even the crappy stuff like being "latreen queen" - Once you've graduated from BMTS, everything else will be gravy as you enter into your technical training and the better you're prepared, the more opportunities will come your way.

Oh yeah, it wouldn't hurt to cut your hair super short before you get there - less of a shock to your system when you herd through the barber shop. It's skintastic! :D

Keep us posted and Good luck, Jailtime! :thmbsp:
 
Good luck, Jailtime!

You are coming down in a much better part of the year than most...we only have two seasons here in San Antonio, Summer and Not Summer..so anytime it's not summer, you're in for decent weather...

I've had lots of friends and even relatives that worked at Lackland and "Security Hill" in the past, but that's been over a decade ago at least...it is in the far southwest corner of the area...I live across town from there, about 20 miles away, out by the International Airport...

How long are you going to be here? Don't know about your weekend situations, but there is a Bottlehead meeting here on Nov 1st...lots of AK'ers and interesting folks, to say the least...

Have fun, and enjoy every minute of it!
 
Hi,

Hope all goes well in Lakeland! Keep em' flying and godspeed to you. When you return, your Marantz should sound even better. We'll miss ya and applaud ya when your back. Don't volunteer for anything. :tresbon:
 
JT,

First of all I would like to thank you in advance for your service to our fine country! My son graduated from Lackland AFB, I went to his graduation. I was mesmerized by all the gear in local pawn shops outside the gates. I found a pair of HUGE Polk SDA's that were about five foot by three or four foot and probably weighed more than me, no way to get them on the plane. It killed me because they only wanted a rotten $400 for them. Save your money, and when you graduate, get a rental and spend a day cruisin' the pawn shops that surrounds that base. You'll be amazed at what you find.

Good luck to you in your endeavors, and keep us posted. From one spudhead to another, take care.

Ron
 
Great, Jamie

Lackland AFB was great in 1958, and my wife and I took a trip back to San Antonio in 2000. The River Walk is even nicer now. You picked a great service and I wish you all the best.
 
Back
Top Bottom